[Event] 2016 Cape Town Cycle Tour

News bot

Interesting day out today. Bummed to say the least. Started in 2B and was like an F1 start which split up Edinburgh only to regroup there after. Stayed as a huge group coming up to Simonstown where some 2C riders caught us and we cought some of 2A. Fast and furious with a group too large for the narrowing road. Handles clashed some got hooked and 4 of us went down at speed. Race over, frame broken in 2 places, RD bent and spent the rest of the day in hospital confirming broken collar bone ... hoping for a quick recovery!

Hectic stuff :(

Things can get crazy when bars touch. Sucks about your bike.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting day out today. Bummed to say the least. Started in 2B and was like an F1 start which split up Edinburgh only to regroup there after. Stayed as a huge group coming up to Simonstown where some 2C riders caught us and we cought some of 2A. Fast and furious with a group too large for the narrowing road. Handles clashed some got hooked and 4 of us went down at speed. Race over, frame broken in 2 places, RD bent and spent the rest of the day in hospital confirming broken collar bone ... hoping for a quick recovery!

Sorry to hear dude, hope you heal up soon!! And Dale!!

This is exactly why I didn't want to race this fun ride...

Bad luck Dale.

Nope unfortunately, I was boxed and had no where to go. Went down hard and then had someone put there front wheel in my back.

Managed to get going again and joined 1A (very slow negative racing) but couldn't breath deeply or stand so limped to the finish.

Turns out I got 1 or 2 broken ribs a torn groin muscle and some bruised kidneys.

They definitely need to stop Vets raceing elite unless they in a pro team and Juniors need there own bunch aswell. 200+ is just way to big for these roads when everyone thinks they can win and have no bunch skills.

Bad luck man. This is really bad. Hope you recover soon and the S5 is okay. Really mean it.

Great day out with the family on Tour.Saw lots of mechanicals.Big up to all the marshalls,medics,staff manning waterpoints,bike repair guys and all other staff involved.

Big up to all the riders at the back end for being very friendly ,motivating each other and riding carefully especially around the waterpoints.

Bad luck man. This is really bad. Hope you recover soon and the S5 is okay. Really mean it.

Thanks. Should be back on the bike in a week or so. Just going to have to take it easy for a while.

Not to sure about the bike, tape and hoods are a bit ripped. Not to sure of anything else, bikes on the way home already.

Loved it, lap one was 3:05 and lap two about 4 hours. What really made it for me was that I was in the absolute first start group of CTCT, the A group of the 30K MTB last weekend, and today my 2nd lap started in 8E the absolute start group of the CTCT. 

Video of the start today : 

1st start group 1G

post-38519-0-92952900-1457292973_thumb.jpg

2nd start group 8E

post-38519-0-64837800-1457293005_thumb.jpg

Had a nice day today on the bike.

First lap 2h52

second lap 4h05 - with lots of Bar ones on Smitswinkel water point...lol

Agree with Spoke 101 : 1A could go faster on some parts of the route, But as also mentioned, this is only a fun ride.

so very happy with my times, and so greatful I had a save ride and no mechanical issues.

what an awesome day it was!!!

Going up Suikerbossie we saw a tandem rider being treated for what looked like a heart attach. Medic and a fellow rider was giving hectic cpr on the roadside. This was about 11 o clock.

Does anyone know anything about it?

Also saw that, not a nice sight. Hope he is fine.

Looking at the Racetec results. I see I am 8509 out of 25 903.

What happend to the other 10 000 entries they had for the race.

My guess: About 4000 forgot their timing chips or did not bother putting it on (its a fun ride after all) , 5000 forgot to train and watched it on the tele rather and 1000 charity 'consignment' entries were returned.

Now down to 13485, my first round time missing, so assume they still fixing things

Archived