Cape Epic 2016 Group

Acerunner

Rode the Epic this year on Conti Protections, NO ISSUES. Saw plenty guys with Racing Ralphs and Nobby Nics with sidewall cuts.

You need a tyre with thick sidewalls. Schwalbe's seem to not make it when the terrain got really rough.

I would not take a set of Schwalbe's into this fight....

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another week gone and another week closer to the big event.

12 hours, 240km, 3900m scent.

15 hours planned for this week, from here on out it is 15 hour plus weeks. 

Erm, I meant my racing bike, rode 2015 epic with a s-works 2012, but it wasn't mine to keep, currently training on MY Giant anthem x, ztr cresties, xtr groupies, ect, love the bike but will get something new before the race just to make sure..

Why get a new bike ???

Some food for though....after securing and paying 7x1hour sessions to a qualified sport massage therapist for next year's epic, I realised how we are being ripped off by LBS for maintenance contracts for the epic, or for that matter, any other stage race.

I am paying R360/hour to a sport massage therapist (with tertiary education and ample experience) which I think is quite fair.

Maintenance packages at the Epic runs between 4 and 6K (5K average). That excludes any parts. How much time do they spend on your bike/day?? A wash (which is anyway included in your entry fee), some gears and brake adjustment, trueing a wheel and lets say 1 major technical which will keep them busy for 2hours after one of the stages?? That adds up to 7x0.5h sessions and 1x2h session which adds up to 5.5 hours (lets make it 6 hours). That gives you R5000/6 hours=R833/hour.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the mechanics don't have proper training or experience. I'm just wondering, am I paying too little for the massage therapist or too much for the maintenance contract??

https://www.bikehub.co.za/index.php?/topic/155118-Are-we-paying-to-much-for-Maintenance-Packages-at-Stage-Races

You are comparing grapes with watermelons dude. Rocking up with a massage table, some massage oil and some K - tape with exact certainty on how much time is required per client opposed to stocking up a van and a trailer with tools and spares and having to cover all eventualities is very different from each other.

I'm quite blown away with the amount of training (hours, km's and climbing) some of the guys (girls?) here are doing. Where do you think to finish in the race? Are you riding for a podium? Simpledom, 18,6 hours a week? Even the pro's don't ride that now. Aren't you afraid of overtraining?

I'm quite blown away with the amount of training (hours, km's and climbing) some of the guys (girls?) here are doing. Where do you think to finish in the race? Are you riding for a podium? Simpledom, 18,6 hours a week? Even the pro's don't ride that now. Aren't you afraid of overtraining?

My training is very structured. I am being coached by Lindsey Parry. There is plenty of recovery built in, with only 1 hard session per week.

My goal is to finish comfortably. I'm definitely not over trained. I feel very good at the moment.

All im saying is train Hard while you still can, this way, if you fall ill in Feb, or for some reason miss 2 weeks of training, there is no need to freak out, you are fit and ready!

Yho, that is serous. Well in case you want to know, a lot of the guys that podium (vets, masters etc. Not Pro) normally get by on 9 to 11 hrs of training per week. I would also say most of the top 100 teams get by on 9 hrs or less.

Remember guys it is not how much but how effective the training is.

But if you have the time and are sure you are not doing "junk" miles go ahead.

Yho, that is serous. Well in case you want to know, a lot of the guys that podium (vets, masters etc. Not Pro) normally get by on 9 to 11 hrs of training per week. I would also say most of the top 100 teams get by on 9 hrs or less.

Remember guys it is not how much but how effective the training is.

But if you have the time and are sure you are not doing "junk" miles go ahead.

Still laughing seeing the amount of miles these guys are doing...

I think the pro's can learn a thing or three by following this topic.