Cape Epic 2016 Group

Acerunner

I tried doing my sessions in the evening but work always seems to drag on a little and steel some training time, I am not a morning person and I don't like waking up early but I must say that training in the morning is a winner. You go to work knowing that you have done your training and that you have taken another step towards your goal.

Agreed. I use commuting to work for training time, and it's fantastic. It just doesn't work well for intervals....

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. I use commuting to work for training time, and it's fantastic. It just doesn't work well for intervals....

Also going to be cycling to work twice a week after W2W.

It is 45km each way, I am hoping that will push up my milage,

Going to get a varia tail light for added safety 

No point in commuting to the office for me... 18 minutes walk.... :)

And riding to work when on call is never going to work... wonder what the cops will say if I fit lights and sirens to my bicycle....

I tried doing my sessions in the evening but work always seems to drag on a little and steel some

Also gonna try and commute to work, its just dangerous in PTA when it comes to cars and Taxi's sometimes.

Just be careful not to overdo it. It's still early days. You need to peak in March, not in January.

Hi banna

Thanks. Very aware of that. Programme we're on does allow for easier recovery-type riding so should be okay.

Cheers

Some food for though....after securing and paying 7x1hour sessions to a qualified sport massage therapist for next year's epic, I realised how we are being ripped off by LBS for maintenance contracts for the epic, or for that matter, any other stage race.

I am paying R360/hour to a sport massage therapist (with tertiary education and ample experience) which I think is quite fair.

Maintenance packages at the Epic runs between 4 and 6K (5K average). That excludes any parts. How much time do they spend on your bike/day?? A wash (which is anyway included in your entry fee), some gears and brake adjustment, trueing a wheel and lets say 1 major technical which will keep them busy for 2hours after one of the stages?? That adds up to 7x0.5h sessions and 1x2h session which adds up to 5.5 hours (lets make it 6 hours). That gives you R5000/6 hours=R833/hour.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the mechanics don't have proper training or experience. I'm just wondering, am I paying too little for the massage therapist or too much for the maintenance contract??

Good week on the bike  and a nice way to kick off November 18h and 340kms/ 5000m ascent.

Base is coming together nicely soon onto power and climbing.

Got lots of riding planned for the rest of the year, looking forward to it.

What tyre combo are you guys planning on?

I am planning on running RR Snake skin on the back, thinking of a Nobby Nic on the front but havent decided yet?

Tyres are a personal choice, but I've done two Epic's, J2C and a couple of Cape Pioneers on Schwalble Racing Ralph - Snake skin's on the back and Rocket Ron's on the front. Add a couple of extra cups of Stans and not a single issue to date.

The Racing Ralph does not last very long though. The Rocket Ron has more than enough grip. I've tried the Nobby Nic's in the front - did not really like them much.

Enjoy the training... been off the bike for 6 weeks with a broken hand and I'm just getting back into it - going to be a fun couple of months ahead!

Got my 10 hour week, also did the global 11 today, gonna have to scedule all my rides for the morning cause the heat in PTA until Thurs is insane!!!

Tyres are a personal choice, but I've done two Epic's, J2C and a couple of Cape Pioneers on Schwalble Racing Ralph - Snake skin's on the back and Rocket Ron's on the front. Add a couple of extra cups of Stans and not a single issue to date.

The Racing Ralph does not last very long though. The Rocket Ron has more than enough grip. I've tried the Nobby Nic's in the front - did not really like them much.

Enjoy the training... been off the bike for 6 weeks with a broken hand and I'm just getting back into it - going to be a fun couple of months ahead!

I put the Ron upfront and what a difference, much happier now. 

I am going to Stick with the Ron Ralph SS combo.