Rio Olympics XCO

Shebeen

same pic - different lap...what i found interesting here is the people spectating through their phone...one wonders if we are too pre-occupied with that perfect instagram shot instead of just spectating

attachicon.gif7637524135438377.jpg

Same pic, same lap, different angle. Everyone's arms, hands, bodies and expressions are all the same. 

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It happens.. we've seen the top xco also puncture in the past Nino, Kulhavy, Julien.... and we saw a lot of riders with flats yesterday that 2e lap was probably the most flats I have seen in a very long time.. perhaps the wet course added to some of the drama.?

As for Sags rocking up to more xco events.. mmm.. Maybe a couple of the smaller races every year in the 2e half of the season (depending of what the world champs road race course looks like)

Hey maybe we'll even see him switch to mtb full time in 4-5 years time... he is still only 26[emoji33]

I agree with Gen.

There were a hell of a lot of punctures yesterday. It wasn't just Sagan.

It can certainly be argued that it is part of an XCO racer's skill set to preserve tyres, but *** luck happens. Especially when you're running Spez rubber.

I don't think even Koolharvey and Sagz on an e-tandem would've been able to beat Nino. The guy is in a class of his own.  

I agree with Gen.

There were a hell of a lot of punctures yesterday. It wasn't just Sagan.

It can certainly be argued that it is part of an XCO racer's skill set to preserve tyres, but *** luck happens. Especially when you're running Spez rubber.

I don't think even Koolharvey and Sagz on an e-tandem would've been able to beat Nino. The guy is in a class of his own.  

you raise an interesting point ... of all those who punctured, what tyres or brands were they on?

Nino has had his fair share of puncture bad luck before, and it would be interesting to hear from them if they have adapted their style in order to try prevent flats.

Sure there is the element of bad luck that we all experience, but surely avoiding riding too hard onto sharp rocks and the likes is one measure?

Otherwise the other main medal contenders didn't have flat problems, besides Marco but I don't think he could have kept up his charge up front anyway.

Nino has had his fair share of puncture bad luck before, and it would be interesting to hear from them if they have adapted their style in order to try prevent flats.

Sure there is the element of bad luck that we all experience, but surely avoiding riding too hard onto sharp rocks and the likes is one measure?

Otherwise the other main medal contenders didn't have flat problems, besides Marco but I don't think he could have kept up his charge up front anyway.

Ja a handful of years ago Nino was plagued by flats..cost him many races.. but yesterday Nino was taking no chances and he had mud tyres on..

Possible that some of the guys had the wrong choice of tyre on and the pressure was maybe wrong. Also a wet course slip sliding ..very easy to end up on the wrong rock.

Ag but it matters not.. the best rider won and he would've won regardless of what the others got up to.

I do however like that start loop.. nice and open and long, gave the riders a real chance of making up places.. that is so often the reason why people battle to improve seeding..because they can't move up the field.. would like to see more xco courses think about changing their start loop.

Edited by Gen

So best cycling kit goes to Sweden.. too beautiful, best podium outfit...('cause it wasn't a tradition tracksuit). Sweden.. and best tracksuit award goes to the Dutch.

Moment of the day number 1

Sagan going from row 7 to the leaders in 90 seconds.

Moment of the day 2.. well has to be Nino finally getting his Olympic gold

Moment of the day 3.. this

https://twitter.com/HoopsTLT/status/767409642456702979

And moment 4... our very own Alan Hatherly with a great result..at only 20 years old.

Agree with these moments of the day.

Biggest flop / disappointment of the day:

1. The reliability of the Spez bicycles and tyres.

2. commentary from Gerald, he knows absolutely nothing about cycling and the riders. I stopped counting his incorrect statements after about 10 mistakes.

3. The camera work that showed nothing of the field and only the front.

That said it was a great race from Nino - welldone

Gives Sags more than 3 weeks of proper xco training and watch him go..

Pity we would have a to wait a long time before that happens.. but I live in hope[emoji23] [emoji23]

Edited by Gen

Agree with these moments of the day.

Biggest flop / disappointment of the day:

1. The reliability of the Spez bicycles and tyres.

2. commentary from Gerald, he knows absolutely nothing about cycling and the riders. I stopped counting his incorrect statements after about 10 mistakes.

3. The camera work that showed nothing of the field and only the front.

That said it was a great race from Nino - welldone

Gerald is just naff. No excitement, no knowledge, no humour... Just bland and dull. But yes the visuals were also not great so that couldn't have helped.

It will be interesting to see what tyres Kulhavy had on his bike compared to the others who flatted. I have had no issues with the Control versions on my bike. I have also put in more than 4000km on an S-works fast track on the front of my bike, so the spez tyres are definitely not ***.

The problem with some of these guys is that they go for the lightest/thinnest tyre and put little to no sealant in them. That is just looking for trouble irrespective of the brand the tyres are...

What type of punctures was it, sidewall cuts, thorns or...

That will tell you a lot more in terms of riders just pushing too hard, incorrect equipment or shitty equipment?

Gives Sags more than 3 weeks of proper xco training and watch him go..

Pity we would have a to wait a long time before that happens.. but I live in hope[emoji23] [emoji23]

Indeed

What a ride ????

Gerald is just naff. No excitement, no knowledge, no humour... Just bland and dull. But yes the visuals were also not great so that couldn't have helped.

Don't be too hard on Gerald. SS could have sent someone worse. YEH?

Don't be too hard on Gerald. SS could have sent someone worse. YEH?

True... But they could have saved a lot of cash and kept the international feed. Atleast they sounded keen to be there even if they made the odd howler.