The I-Team

tombeej

I daren't ask this....aren't the GCN okes overlapping wheels around 32 secs, in echelon, which we want to avoid? Or does the lateral space between wheels due to the echelon make it safer to do so? 

Yes you're right, in an echelon you'll inevitably be off at an angle, and the stronger the wind the more "up alongside" you'll have to be to the rider in front.

Then, if it's really gusty, you will find that you're being buffeted by the wind as it tries to blow you into the front wheel of the guy tucked in diagonally behind you.

Echelons are higher grade stuff. The really good racers know how to smash up fields at will due to their skill at riding in the wind. It's why the Belgians and the Dutch are so dominant in the horrible weather of the early spring classics.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I daren't ask this....aren't the GCN okes overlapping wheels around 32 secs, in echelon, which we want to avoid? Or does the lateral space between wheels due to the echelon make it safer to do so? 

The overlapping is most dangerous when you have a group, rather than single bikes spread over the road (in an echelon), as you don't have anywhere to go.

Edit: the yellow riders in the group will drift left or right depending on the front of the group - maybe an obstacle (man hole cover) and the red guy is overlapping wheels and has to (1) brake hard, or (2) drift with the yellow one to avoid touching wheels. Inevitably, one of the yellow guys doesn't move and that's where the crash happens.

post-1372-0-40584300-1447338509_thumb.png

Edited by geraldm24

its not impossible for us to bring in the whole group sub3 but i think we all should be honest on the day and pull ourselves out of the group during the race if the pace is just way too fast for us. im sure even then with the help recieved to that point we would still do a good time or PB

I'm no expert, but one very important thing that I would like to request is that we watch wheel overlap. I really do not feel like crashing.

Stay at front and pull, should be safe there  :whistling:  ^_^  :D

Post your time from last year, and also your PB on other undulating 100Km races.
This will give everyone some perspective of what to expect, and who to look after.

I'm riding with members of my club where a few have not achieved a sub-3. They are seeded in D-group... their PB's are between 3:05 - 3:15. I know they're capable of getting under 3 hours as I ride with them week in and week out. They also finished with an average of 32km/h at the Amashova from our small (Buudy Batch) group of 9, which also included cycling from Joburg the previous 3 days.

Name                                     947 (2014)                            PB                    

BarefootDave
Basil Brush
bmw1za
bored_girl

BouncingBrain

Cadre
Carpet

CASSIE1975

Diggers

Dirt De Vil

doeffels

Cav

doeffels

Craig 26
Fat Boab

eddyr
Firozfx

HappyMartin
Lurch
monkey on a bianchi
morne1600

Patchelicious

Prince

Rob K
Rob Mortimer

Ryan's dad

Sandro
shaper
ScottC-M                         3:40                            Tour Durban 3:07
StevieL
tombeej

wernerhp

Zaskar

Edited by ScottC-M

Name                                     947 (2014)                            PB                    

BarefootDave

Basil Brush

bmw1za

bored_girl

BouncingBrain

Cadre

Carpet

CASSIE1975

Diggers

Dirt De Vil

doeffels

Cav

doeffels

Craig 26

Fat Boab

eddyr
Firozfx

HappyMartin

Lurch

monkey on a bianchi   3:12                             R4V 3:14

morne1600

Patchelicious

Prince

Rob K

Rob Mortimer

Ryan's dad

Sandro

shaper

ScottC-M                         3:40                            Tour Durban 3:07

StevieL

tombeej

wernerhp

Zaskar

BarefootDave

Basil Brush

bmw1za

bored_girl

BouncingBrain

Cadre

Carpet

CASSIE1975

Diggers

Dirt De Vil

doeffels

Cav

doeffels

Craig 26

Fat Boab                                 03:40                        Satellite Classic (80km) 02:50.

eddyr
Firozfx

HappyMartin

Lurch

monkey on a bianchi   3:12                             R4V 3:14

morne1600

Patchelicious

Prince

Rob K

Rob Mortimer

Ryan's dad

Sandro

shaper

StevieL

tombeej

wernerhp

Zaskar

Edited by Fat Boab