New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

I live in Cape Town, and will probably stay here, but I have traveled and the cities that I always considered pretty similar to Cape Town, in terms of lifestyle and attitude, were Vancouver and San Francisco. I've never been to Aucland, should I add that as well?

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vancouver would seem similar, yes. Bit more chance of snow in Vancouver than there is in Auckland, but most of the time the weather would be similar. Vancouver has the best winter weather out of the major cities in Canada, which is why it is a magnet for their homeless. I found the  French language to be non-existent there - so another similarity. 

There's TONS of Frenchies in Auckland...

Actually I know a Frenchie in Vancouver too, we are going to visit him (and his family) next (mid) year ...

I live in Cape Town, and will probably stay here, but I have traveled and the cities that I always considered pretty similar to Cape Town, in terms of lifestyle and attitude, were Vancouver and San Francisco. I've never been to Aucland, should I add that as well?

I wouldn't. For me there isn't a SA city that compares to here... There's to many boats all over on the water,  the city feels different. 

I wouldn't. For me there isn't a SA city that compares to here... There's to many boats all over on the water,  the city feels different. 

Yeah, some may say that Auckland is not dissimilar to CT, but as hayleyearth said, it's not quite the same.

Personally I prefer Auckland (and no, not because I live here. If I had my way I'd live in the mountains of Central Otago). It's more got to do with the evenness of everything. In CT there's a great disparity between the rich and the poor. The distance separating the 2 isn't that great either. In Auckland there are still the mega-rich in thier mega-rich areas, and there are poorer low-income areas. But that disparity between classes isn't as stark, and there are gradients between the two. No Parktown next to Hillbrow type divisions.

And yeah, there are tons of boats cruising all around the harbour.

Some years ago I went to Knysna for the first time and was blown away by the beauty. About 18months ago I went again. I was tour-guiding an Aussie who grew up on Sydney's Northern Beaches, and had lived in Auckland for the last few years. I was suddenly slightly underwhelmed by Knysna, and my tourist could tell. I think Auckland slightly ruined me. Yes, it isn't perfect. It has a lot of bad and ugly. And yes, no disrespect to Knysna, it is still unique and beautiful.

I just think Aucklander's take for granted the beauty of the city (especially around the harbour and up the Hauraki gulf).

To appreciate Auckland properly, you need a boat.

(Source: have boat, spent 2 years exploring the Hauraki Gulf. It is something special launching at Orakei and checking out the local islands, or from Kawakawa Bay a bit South, or from Gulf Harbour a bit north).

I did CT by boat also, sailed for a bit out of the Royal Cape Yacht Club. Also spectacular, would say CT is the prettier city what with that mountain thingy you guys have down there, but AKL from the water would be pretty hard to beat.

To appreciate Auckland properly, you need a boat.

(Source: have boat, spent 2 years exploring the Hauraki Gulf. It is something special launching at Orakei and checking out the local islands, or from Kawakawa Bay a bit South, or from Gulf Harbour a bit north).

I did CT by boat also, sailed for a bit out of the Royal Cape Yacht Club. Also spectacular, would say CT is the prettier city what with that mountain thingy you guys have down there, but AKL from the water would be pretty hard to beat.

Whilst I don't have a boat, from my few trips to Waiheke, Rangitoto, Kawau and the likes, I can only imagine how awesome it must be to explore Auckland in one's own water craft.

Or as they say "you don't need a boat, you need a friend with a boat"  :ph34r:

We're all working on one in our group to be that friend, his wife however, is resisting, and winning. :lol:

Whilst I don't have a boat, from my few trips to Waiheke, Rangitoto, Kawau and the likes, I can only imagine how awesome it must be to explore Auckland in one's own water craft.

Or as they say "you don't need a boat, you need a friend with a boat"  :ph34r:

We're all working on one in our group to be that friend, his wife however, is resisting, and winning. :lol:

Go with the 'friend with a boat' option, damned things are just holes in the water into which you throw money!

Mind you, mine's been pretty good over the last 6 years or so, has only needed a few trailer wheel bearings, petrol and 2-stroke oil, and some spark plugs. Oh, and $200 excess when I crashed it into the rocks coming over the bar after dark and caused $10 000 worth of damage!

Go with the 'friend with a boat' option, damned things are just holes in the water into which you throw money!

Mind you, mine's been pretty good over the last 6 years or so, has only needed a few trailer wheel bearings, petrol and 2-stroke oil, and some spark plugs. Oh, and $200 excess when I crashed it into the rocks coming over the bar after dark and caused $10 000 worth of damage!

I used to crew for my "friend with a boat" and first hand saw that "hole in the water...." thing. He also said that a sailing yacht (in Cape Town) was much like standing under a cold shower tearing up R200 notes.

About your little accident, don't feel bad, you definitely did not cause it. Boats do that kind of thing all by themselves......all us humans can hope for is to prevent them from doing it!

Haha the most remarkable thing about my complete stuff up is that I expected merciless ribbing. Instead, nearly every boatie was like 'sheesh, bad luck, but that's nothing compared to the stuff up I made this one time...

As they say - what are the two happiest days in a boat owners life? The day they get their dream boat, and then the day they get rid of it !

An oldie, but I gather not far from the truth. A colleague had an old yacht here in Brissie, and when he realised that maintenance weekends far, far, far outweighed time actually sailing he decided to pull the plug and give it away.  

As they say - what are the two happiest days in a boat owners life? The day they get their dream boat, and then the day they get rid of it !

An oldie, but I gather not far from the truth. A colleague had an old yacht here in Brissie, and when he realised that maintenance weekends far, far, far outweighed time actually sailing he decided to pull the plug and give it away.  

Similar to a swimming pool ;)

Ok

So I am paying a visit to NZ in Jan for 3 weeks to come and see my kids in Dunedin..

I need a rental car and a place to stay for the duration. Been mulling over a camper van as that is two in one..

Any suggestions and comments welcome..

TIA

Ok

So I am paying a visit to NZ in Jan for 3 weeks to come and see my kids in Dunedin..

I need a rental car and a place to stay for the duration. Been mulling over a camper van as that is two in one..

Any suggestions and comments welcome..

TIA

from what I saw over there, that is a good option. Loads of places to stop for the night. My only concerns would be

1. are you a confident driver - roads are narrow and vans are wide

2. once you've set-up camp for the day, you are stuck. Difficult to pop into town for a quick shop.

Edited by MTBeer

from what I saw over there, that is a good option. Loads of places to stop for the night. My only concerns would be

1. are you a confident driver - roads are narrow and vans are wide

2. once you've set-up camp for the day, you are stuck. Difficult to pop into town for a quick shop.

Pack a bici

Was anyone here considering Canada as an alternative? What was the main reasons for choosing NZ over Canada?

We were initially as I had family there willing to sponsor and offer jobs etc but the more I looked into it the more I knew it wasn't for me. Primarily lifestyle driven we have just started the process for New Zealand which is just a much better fit for my family. 

We were initially as I had family there willing to sponsor and offer jobs etc but the more I looked into it the more I knew it wasn't for me. Primarily lifestyle driven we have just started the process for New Zealand which is just a much better fit for my family. 

Thank you