Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

Age old saying, prevention is better than cure.

Except when you go for a full body scan. Never, EVER do that. You WILL find something wrong with you (clogged arteries or any other such thing) even if you were "perfectly healthy"

Client went for one of those full body scan jobbies. He was the model client, perfect cholestorol, perfect weight, no prior health problems, perfect glucose levels, everything 100% for cover. 

Went for one of those scans. Identified buildup of cholestorol in his arteries. Now he can't get cover. And he can't not disclose, as that is material non-disclosure and could result in a declined claim when it comes to that time. 

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Except when you go for a full body scan. Never, EVER do that. You WILL find something wrong with you (clogged arteries or any other such thing) even if you were "perfectly healthy"

Client went for one of those full body scan jobbies. He was the model client, perfect cholestorol, perfect weight, no prior health problems, perfect glucose levels, everything 100% for cover.

Went for one of those scans. Identified buildup of cholestorol in his arteries. Now he can't get cover. And he can't not disclose, as that is material non-disclosure and could result in a declined claim when it comes to that time.

Eish!

That's rof

Good tip there, MM ????

Do you go in to one of those round scanner jobbies....I will never do it....my pens sal nie pas nie....

Do you go in to one of those round scanner jobbies....I will never do it....my pens sal nie pas nie....

no, there's a different one. It was featured on a Grey's Anatomy episode (don't ask) and it has a circular arm (like a doughnut) that goes back and forth. Not like the cave on a "typical" CT / MRI machine... 

http://www.scanforlife.co.za/

Edited by Myles Mayhew

no, there's a different one. It was featured on a Grey's Anatomy episode (don't ask) and it has a circular arm (like a doughnut) that goes back and forth. Not like the cave on a "typical" CT / MRI machine... 

Can you not have one once you are covered and they cannot get rid of you?

That must be hellish expensive?

Especially when you get excluded from cover :P

I've seen their adds in the SAA magazines when I fly with that k a k airline, was wondering how much.

Edit: Ja, will cost plenty...being done at a Netcare Hospital in the heart of money, Rosebank

Edited by Ed-Zulu

Myles you have been a legend on this thread.  I did not want to add to your workload but I have a few questions which I thought I would ask.  I am not sure if they are covered earlier but the thread is so long it is almost impossible to search for. 

1.  Do you no longer get a discount with the Discovery Credit Card at Pick n Pay when shopping for groceries?

2.  If one has selected Pick n Pay as the primary Healthy Food benifit how does one get the lower discount for Woolworths food as the HealthyFood "card" is loaded onto the Smartshopper card?  Do we then swipe the Smart Shopper card at Woolworths for the HealthyFood benifit (I understand no SmartShopper points will be earned at Woolies). 

3.  If we make a purchase at Dischem or Sportsmanwarehouse and use the HealthyCare or HealthyGear cards do we have to pay with the DiscoveryCard to get the benifit? 

4.  Do you get reimbursed the money for your gym fees if you make your weekly goals no matter whether you do them in the gym or road running/cycling etc as long as you make your rolling 36 visits?  Do they reimburse you for the entire Classic gym Vitality subsidised rate or just the maximum of the premier membership?

It seems as though the discounts and benefits for the DiscoveryCard are drastically cut back with the loss of some retail partners. 

I thought I knew Vitality well but there is a definitely a new level of complexity now but if used well the benefits can be substantial.

Edited by khm4252

Can you not have one once you are covered and they cannot get rid of you?

yeah, after the fact is fine. Can't do anything then, and it could be used as the basis to log a claim on an existing policy, depending on what is highlighted. 

After all, you can't disclose what you don't know, can you? And a life policy is granted / approved on the person's health status at the time of application, not at the time of claim. So post-policy investigation is fine. Just don't expect to be able to amend / increase your cover if they find something!!!

yeah, after the fact is fine. Can't do anything then, and it could be used as the basis to log a claim on an existing policy, depending on what is highlighted. 

After all, you can't disclose what you don't know, can you? And a life policy is granted / approved on the person's health status at the time of application, not at the time of claim. So post-policy investigation is fine. Just don't expect to be able to amend / increase your cover if they find something!!!

From what I remember if you are informed of, or find out that you have a condition that develops after you take cover and you don't inform your insurance, then you stand to lose cover relating to that condition? I'm not positive so I'm interested to know if this is the case or not?

Thanks man, appreciated. It's what I do (to my detriment, mostly) but I'm happy to assist...

Myles you have been a legend on this thread.  I did not want to add to your workload but I have a few questions which I thought I would ask.  I am not sure if they are covered earlier but the thread is so long it is almost impossible to search for. 

1.  Do you no longer get a discount with the Discovery Credit Card at Pick n Pay when shopping for groceries?

No, not the 10% cash back or SmartShopper Points multiplier any more.

HOWEVER - you do get up to 10 times the amount of Discovery Miles when purchasing at PnP, Clicks, Dischem, Sportsmans, Totalsports & BP, depending on your status.

So if you're on Diamond, instead of getting 1 Mile for every R15 spend, you get 1 mile for every R 1.50 spend. 1 mile = 10c, therefore you're essentially getting 10c per R15 spend = 6.66% back. Miles can be used online at many retailers, or converted to vouchers to use at PnP, Totalsports, Sportsmans, Clicks, Dischem or Incredible Corruption. 

Remember -- the HealthyFood discount is on top of this, so in essence you will get up to 31.66% off healthy food at Pick n Pay. 

2.  If one has selected Pick n Pay as the primary Healthy Food benifit how does one get the lower discount for Woolworths food as the HealthyFood "card" is loaded onto the Smartshopper card?  Do we then swipe the Smart Shopper card at Woolworths for the HealthyFood benifit (I understand no SmartShopper points will be earned at Woolies). 

You need to get either a WW store card or a MySchool / MyWorld card through WW financial services (applications at each store) and link your card to your Vitality membership on the MySchool website. 

3.  If we make a purchase at Dischem or Sportsmanwarehouse and use the HealthyCare or HealthyGear cards do we have to pay with the DiscoveryCard to get the benifit? 

No. Any payment method you want. 

4.  Do you get reimbursed the money for your gym fees if you make your weekly goals no matter whether you do them in the gym or road running/cycling etc as long as you make your rolling 36 visits?  Do they reimburse you for the entire Classic gym Vitality subsidised rate or just the maximum of the premier membership?

Yes. And no enhancement on the Premier or Classic memberships - just the single branch "club" memberships, though I think that this may change to include the Premier membership class in the future as well. Classic discount remains at 50%, Premier at 60%

It seems as though the discounts and benefits for the DiscoveryCard are drastically cut back with the loss of some retail partners. 

True to a point - the loss of the SmartShopper points multiplier is a bit of a blow, and it results in a net 33% reduction in actual cash back at the end of the day, but you DO get access to the Miles Multipliers at different partner stores, so there is a trade-off effect. You still get your 20% card discount at the other partner stores though, so there's still benefit there. 

I thought I knew Vitality well but there is a definitely a new level of complexity now but if used well the benefits can be substantial.

Agreed. 

From what I remember if you are informed of, or find out that you have a condition that develops after you take cover and you don't inform your insurance, then you stand to lose cover relating to that condition? I'm not positive so I'm interested to know if this is the case or not?

No, false. Only if it happens in the period between acceptance and when the policy comes in to force. 

For example - if I apply for cover now, but stipulate a start date of 1 March. I go for meds, get accepted tomorrow at normal rates, no exclusions, and for all intents and purposes am "on cover" - if I'm involved in a car accident before 1st March and lose my leg, I need to inform them as it happened BEFORE the policy came in to force. The policy will have to be re-issued, as my health has changed before the start date of the cover. 

Most companies have what they call "immediate cover" whereby, if I am accepted without loadings or exclusions, I get a certain amount of disability or life cover, which is limited to (I think) R400k INCLUDING any other cover that you have in place at that time...

As for health events after the start date of the policy, the only thing you'll miss out on is a potential claim. 

What you DO have to disclose is any change to your particulars ie: income, occupation and smoking status, as that affects your risk profile on your existing cover, and may result in you no longer qualifying for occupational disability, or income protection or having an occupational loading due to the risk of your particular job. Likewise with any hazardous pursuits.

Health wise, it only matters at policy inception or when you are increasing your cover. Having said that, I don't know why you'd not want to tell the company or broker about a disease or disorder that you have had diagnosed, as it may trigger a claim payment.

Now I have a real funny which I haven't experienced before...

My run of last night (uploaded via GC) was awarded to Vitality Points... but it did not go through to the Rewards side of things?!  :huh:

Now I have a real funny which I haven't experienced before...

My run of last night (uploaded via GC) was awarded to Vitality Points... but it did not go through to the Rewards side of things?!  :huh:

Just give it time. I had to wait 3 days for my points to reflect on the Rewards side. Kept saying "pending...". Got it this morning.

Thanks guys!

Last question, do I even need to activate Strava when I ride, or just the Garmin and let it sync afterwards?

Nope. Just the garmin. Strava will pull everything from GC if you link them.

One only needs to use the Strava app when one forgets to charge the Garmin.

I did it for the second time in 2016, this morning, and still got some points (although not needed for my rewards, and having reached my cap, it wasn't necessary).

I only used it for a record of my hill repeats