Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

All great and well earning it back over 4 months, but times are tough right now and I can't afford to shell out R2.5k on gym fees in one go. Unless I don't want to eat for the rest of the month. Or I could sell a bicycle :whistling:

Nah man I understand completely. I'd struggle to justify that once off cost if my existing one lapsed.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still a legacy member. I paid about R300 many years ago to join and my gym costs me R0 a month. Just need to maintain those 3 swipes a month....

Regarding the rewards program, we recently got my wife a Forerunner 35 as she does crossfit type training a few time s week and there were points going to waste... Installed Garmin Connect on her S7, linked the account with the Disco App and she does a manual sync after each recorded session as she like to check the data. No issues so far.

Signed her up with the Vitality Rewards program as well which got me motivated to chase my target again. Now that Shell have come on board, it makes redeeming the rewards a bit easier as there is a garage up the road from both work and home. 

We'll be cashing in on those rewards after Parkrun on Saturdays  :thumbup:

I must say that the Polar Beat phone app is an incredibly easy way to get points. Providing of course you have a HRM that it accepts. Which is almost all BLE straps. And they are available for less than a grand.

With a free package like this I really do not understand why it is necessary to shell out for a separate device.

I've created accounts for the kids, downloaded the app and they share a HRM strap. Money for jam. Or is it points for smoothies?

Of course the app only runs on IOS and Android.

Has something changed on the Discovery website and link with flight bookings?

I keep getting an error when connecting to Kulula 

Has something changed on the Discovery website and link with flight bookings?

I keep getting an error when connecting to Kulula 

Not sure of anything changed but you don't need to use the link. Go straight to kulula and enter your Disco number and surname prior to booking 

Does anyone know if Discovery will support samsung smart watches? They support apple so assuming they should soon support other makes of smart watches, sports spefic, i.e the samsung gear s3 that has HR monitor, pedometer and can track workouts

I must say that the Polar Beat phone app is an incredibly easy way to get points. Providing of course you have a HRM that it accepts. Which is almost all BLE straps. And they are available for less than a grand.

With a free package like this I really do not understand why it is necessary to shell out for a separate device.

I've created accounts for the kids, downloaded the app and they share a HRM strap. Money for jam. Or is it points for smoothies?

Of course the app only runs on IOS and Android.

Well, for one my wife dislikes a HRM chest strap enough that the lure of free smoothies couldn't get her to wear it. For her the Garmin 225 (old and on special in Feb) I got her works perfectly.

And also, for certain activities (like crossfit), I'd rather risk my secondhand Tomtom cardio than my smartphone. I don't NEED to track it..... but I like to :)

Edit: but I do agree, for most sports and people a phone and bluetooth HRM strap is more than enough, especially with today's glued-to-the-phone generation.

Edited by HdB

I am still a legacy member. I paid about R300 many years ago to join and my gym costs me R0 a month. Just need to maintain those 3 swipes a month....

Regarding the rewards program, we recently got my wife a Forerunner 35 as she does crossfit type training a few time s week and there were points going to waste... Installed Garmin Connect on her S7, linked the account with the Disco App and she does a manual sync after each recorded session as she like to check the data. No issues so far.

Signed her up with the Vitality Rewards program as well which got me motivated to chase my target again. Now that Shell have come on board, it makes redeeming the rewards a bit easier as there is a garage up the road from both work and home. 

We'll be cashing in on those rewards after Parkrun on Saturdays  :thumbup:

Please tell me more about the Shell thing.

FYI:

"We're excited to announce that as a Vitality Active Rewards member you can now redeem your weekly reward from Mugg & Bean and Ster-Kinekor."

And they're also doing a weight-loss rewards thing too I hear... while dolling out free popcorn... WTF Discovery?

Please tell me more about the Shell thing.

It means one can get a free Vida coffee at Shell garages, and not only at the Vida shops.

Does anyone know if Discovery will support samsung smart watches? They support apple so assuming they should soon support other makes of smart watches, sports spefic, i.e the samsung gear s3 that has HR monitor, pedometer and can track workouts

Supported through Samsung S-Health app as far as I'm aware.

Anyone redeemed a reward at M&B yet? I am wondering if a serious size cup qualify?

From what I saw in the notification, they state any cappuccino etc. etc. 

And they're also doing a weight-loss rewards thing too I hear... while dolling out free popcorn... WTF Discovery?

Popcorn doesn't make you fat. It's actually a recommended snack alternative to crisps. BUT that's unsalted and unflavored. 

Popcorn doesn't make you fat. It's actually a recommended snack alternative to crisps. BUT that's unsalted and unflavored. 

Unless you buy into the Tim Noakes cow manure LCHF diet plan. Then it is a completely no no unless you add real butter.