Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

But, if cash back applies it is R200.

no, it's not as simple as that. 

Only get the 20% to a max of 30% of your total spend. So if all you buy is the shoes, you get 20% back on 30% of your R 1k. Which equates 6% of your item. 

Only way you'll get 20% back on the full R 1k is if your total card spend is R 1,000/30% = R 3,333

So it's essentially converted to the same as if you'd only used your card to spend at partner stores. IF you're on Diamond. 

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I drive too many km in a month (8 - 15 k per month)at too high a speed (not justifying anything just saying with that mileage and still having to get a full days work done each day things happen) to get cover from any company that will put a device in my car.

Done about 4 million km with 7 claims, to me those are good odds. Still pay a premium with Santam, but for their service and my risk profile they cant be beat.

Discovery would be on the line to me all day every day thinking I have been hijacked.

Actually, they shouldn't have to call you as often as you think - your "driving behaviour" would indicate that you drive far, and at high speed. Probably in the beginning, they might, but once your "behaviour becomes the norm, they would see it as normal. Then, your premiums would be adjusted accordingly, just like you say they are now with Santam.

The only thing that I'm not sure about, on Discovery Insure, is if one has an accident at excessive speeds, or at a speed that is faster than take off speed at a stop street, i.e. they can determine that one didn't stop at the stop street. Would they pay out? The website says they won't use the device when accessing a claim, but I'm sure they would think twice if one is breaking the law.

edit: in your position, I wouldn't join Discovery Insure.

Edited by geraldm24

Actually, they shouldn't have to call you as often as you think - your "driving behaviour" would indicate that you drive far, and at high speed. Probably in the beginning, they might, but once your "behaviour becomes the norm, they would see it as normal. Then, your premiums would be adjusted accordingly, just like you say they are now with Santam.

The only thing that I'm not sure about, on Discovery Insure, is if one has an accident at excessive speeds, or at a speed that is faster than take off speed at a stop street, i.e. they can determine that one didn't stop at the stop street. Would they pay out? The website says they won't use the device when accessing a claim, but I'm sure they would think twice if one is breaking the law.

No issue with that at all. Just means that they may be able to tell that the incident was your fault, and as such there may be less likelihood of getting your excess back in the case of an accident that "wasn't my fault" unless they manage to retrieve the excess from the opposing insurer (which they'd want to do anyway as they'd retrieve the costs of repair to your vehicle as well should the other party be at fault)

A claim can't be repudiated based on not stopping at a stop street or speeding. It can be repudiated due to driving drunk, though. And they can't tell that from the tracker unit. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

No issue with that at all. Just means that they may be able to tell that the incident was your fault, and as such there may be less likelihood of getting your excess back in the case of an accident that "wasn't my fault" unless they manage to retrieve the excess from the opposing insurer (which they'd want to do anyway as they'd retrieve the costs of repair to your vehicle as well should the other party be at fault)

A claim can't be repudiated based on not stopping at a stop street or speeding. It can be repudiated due to driving drunk, though. And they can't tell that from the tracker unit. 

They are using my tracking data to prove I was not moving when I was rear ended on Monday. New car and bike rack to find. :/

They are using my tracking data to prove I was not moving when I was rear ended on Monday. New car and bike rack to find. :/

there we go. Using it to prove the fact it wasn't your fault. If they could tell it was your fault, they'd still be fighting it but without the telemetry data. 

If it was your fault, you'd stil be covered, but you'd have to pay the excess. Point it they can't use it to repudiate claims. 

there we go. Using it to prove the fact it wasn't your fault. If they could tell it was your fault, they'd still be fighting it but without the telemetry data. 

If it was your fault, you'd stil be covered, but you'd have to pay the excess. Point it they can't use it to repudiate claims. 

I imported my bike rack as Thule does not bring them into SA, They want a quote for replacement. Do you think I can "place order" and then screen shot and convert from dollar to rand for them?

From their website:

What is the DQ-Track information used for?

The information from your DQ-Track will be used to measure your driving behaviour and track the location of your car in the event of a severe accident.

We will not use information from your DQ-Track when approving claims. The only time we will use the data from your DQ-Track in the claims process is to verify the time and location of an accident.

I imported my bike rack as Thule does not bring them into SA, They want a quote for replacement. Do you think I can "place order" and then screen shot and convert from dollar to rand for them?

is it markedly different to one sold here? Is there one sold here that is of similar value?

I'd check the latter, and supply them with thse details together with the screenshot. 

is it markedly different to one sold here? Is there one sold here that is of similar value?

I'd check the latter, and supply them with thse details together with the screenshot. 

The raceway pro is the clip on the back of the car vibe with a platform, THULE does not bring that in, only tow bar mounts. Its around 9,5k to import. 

To be honest I would just wait for one to pop up on classifieds.

From their website:

What is the DQ-Track information used for?

The information from your DQ-Track will be used to measure your driving behaviour and track the location of your car in the event of a severe accident.

We will not use information from your DQ-Track when approving claims. The only time we will use the data from your DQ-Track in the claims process is to verify the time and location of an accident.

I am aware of that, but thanks for sharing again.

The only reason I mentioned the "claim, if speeding", is that the mother of one of my daughter's friend at school has been converting people from Discovery Insure. The biggest reason she claims, is as a result of non-payment of claims due to "excessive speeding".

Being a broker she might just want the business, and will try anything to convince one to move to her. I've had one devious broker quote me last year for life insurance, for which I sought advise from our resident guru on this forum (which I still need to conclude, one day).

The only reason I mentioned the "claim, if speeding", is that the mother of one of my daughter's friend at school has been converting people from Discovery Insure. The biggest reason she claims, is as a result of non-payment of claims due to "excessive speeding".

Being a broker she might just want the business, and will try anything to convince one to move to her. I've had one devious broker quote me last year for life insurance, for which I sought advise from our resident guru on this forum (which I still need to conclude, one day).

It's a bunch of counter-marketing BS that most tied agents tend to rely on in order to drum up business. 

And yes, you do... :P

If only there was a way to stop excessive speeding... 

The more I talk to people, even my own extended family the amount of BS out there baffles me regarding cars and driving.

Have 2 Kauai vouchers expiring on Wednesday. Send me a pm if you want them.

Edit. Gone.

Edited by Veebee

1st initial shoe booster worked great, this month... no refund. Back to queries it seems .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1st initial shoe booster worked great, this month... no refund. Back to queries it seems .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hahaha, I'm waiting to see what happens this week.

Trying to link my daughter to iHealth, keep getting this error. Any solution other than mailing disco and waiting for them to get aroundtuit?

post-35786-0-48842300-1490336478_thumb.jpg

post-35786-0-93347700-1490336591_thumb.jpg