Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

Exactly Gerald.

When I saw an advert "up to 50% of fuel spend" I didn't read the T&C. I wrote about my own stupidity on this thread waaaaay back.  But that was not my main gripe. It was destroying a tyre and putting in a claim to find I was not covered.  I guess I had just got used to a broker who looked after my insurance affairs.

Unlike the Active Rewards and Vitality itself, which are really easy to understand, Insurance rewards were really really complicated and once I read the stuff you have just posted it took me exactly 30 seconds to phone and cancel my vehicles from their policy. Even then, they refused to refund me the premiums paid and covered me for the rest of the 30 days. Pity I didn't have a claim in that time!

Like all products in a capitalist economy, some suit some folk better and other suit other folk better. It is nice to have choice.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly Gerald.

When I saw an advert "up to 50% of fuel spend" I didn't read the T&C. I wrote about my own stupidity on this thread waaaaay back. But that was not my main gripe. It was destroying a tyre and putting in a claim to find I was not covered. I guess I had just got used to a broker who looked after my insurance affairs.

Unlike the Active Rewards and Vitality itself, which are really easy to understand, Insurance rewards were really really complicated and once I read the stuff you have just posted it took me exactly 30 seconds to phone and cancel my vehicles from their policy. Even then, they refused to refund me the premiums paid and covered me for the rest of the 30 days. Pity I didn't have a claim in that time!

Like all products in a capitalist economy, some suit some folk better and other suit other folk better. It is nice to have choice.

glad to have helped although not in a favourable outcome.

Actually the post was intended for those that are considering joining Discovery Insure, to get an understanding of it before suffering a similar fate.

I considered discovery insurance a while back seeing as how I already have so many products with them. 

I decided against it, a broker is still more valuable to me than a few rands saved. 

50% of fuel back would be about R200 a month for me so hardly an incentive if it is even achievable.

Edited by Rocket-Boy

Discovery Insure was 70% more expensive than my current cover. I was prepared to go a little higher for the rewards etc., but at that increase, even if I was at the max fuel rewards in both ZAR and % terms, I'd still be facing a 40% increase. Just crazy...

Discovery Insure was 70% more expensive than my current cover. I was prepared to go a little higher for the rewards etc., but at that increase, even if I was at the max fuel rewards in both ZAR and % terms, I'd still be facing a 40% increase. Just crazy...

I had a similair experience. All the discounts brought it back to AT BEST what I am paying at the moment. Seemed like a lot of "admin" on my side for no gain.

I see discovery Credit card holder no longer get Cash back at Sportsmanwarehouse only up to 10X miles and that is including Incredible corruption, I am going to pay-up my card and get some other product, they keep on changing the goalposts.

I see discovery Credit card holder no longer get Cash back at Sportsmanwarehouse only up to 10X miles and that is including Incredible corruption, I am going to pay-up my card and get some other product, they keep on changing the goalposts.

I see no mention of SWH in the email blurb, have you got something else?

In 2017, our Discovery Card cash back partners will move across to our new Discovery Miles Multiplier Network. From 15 April, you will therefore no longer earn cash back at Incredible Connection, Toys R Us, Babies R Us, Reggies and The Pro Shop.

I see no mention of SWH in the email blurb, have you got something else?

In 2017, our Discovery Card cash back partners will move across to our new Discovery Miles Multiplier Network. From 15 April, you will therefore no longer earn cash back at Incredible Connection, Toys R Us, Babies R Us, Reggies and The Pro Shop.

Maybe I am misreading it and they included the nice diagram

post-24414-0-38365400-1489730068_thumb.jpg

I drive too many km in a month (8 - 15 k per month)at too high a speed (not justifying anything just saying with that mileage and still having to get a full days work done each day things happen) to get cover from any company that will put a device in my car.

Done about 4 million km with 7 claims, to me those are good odds. Still pay a premium with Santam, but for their service and my risk profile they cant be beat.

Discovery would be on the line to me all day every day thinking I have been hijacked.

Also did not see SWH listed in the email, so perhaps you get 10X at SWH and Totalsports as well as cashback?

Also thought the cashback was more to do with the healthy gear card than the disco credit card as have often bought at SWH using my healthy gear card and not used my disco credit card and still got the cash back.

Maybe I am misreading it and they included the nice diagram

This is separate from Vitality cashback at SMW. Only the "cashback" on credit card spends at the shops mentioned

Also did not see SWH listed in the email, so perhaps you get 10X at SWH and Totalsports as well as cashback?

Also thought the cashback was more to do with the healthy gear card than the disco credit card as have often bought at SWH using my healthy gear card and not used my disco credit card and still got the cash back.

That's my understanding too. The cash back is from the healthy gear card and then you still get miles if you pay with your Disco CC.

You don't need a disco CC to get cash back from Sportsmans.

But what does "up to 10x discovery miles" actually mean in South African RANDS?

disco is going the same way as ebucks - too complex and thus no-one really cares anymore.

But what does "up to 10x discovery miles" actually mean in South African RANDS?

disco is going the same way as ebucks - too complex and thus no-one really cares anymore.

1 mile = R 15 spend = 10c (real)

10x miles means 1 mile = R 15 spend = R1

so... 1/15 = 6% back. 

1 mile = R 15 spend = 10c (real)

10x miles means 1 mile = R 15 spend = R1

so... 1/15 = 6% back. 

6% cashback IF IF IF IF you are on DIAMOND.

Therefore, 3% cashback for us suckers on Gold.

Yowzers, that's A HUGE INCENTIVE - 30bucks on a R1,000 pair of tackies.

6% cashback IF IF IF IF you are on DIAMOND.

Therefore, 3% cashback for us suckers on Gold.

Yowzers, that's A HUGE INCENTIVE - 30bucks on a R1,000 pair of tackies.

But, if cash back applies it is R200.

Edited by Dexter-morgan