Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

I bought a Xbox one on special from Incredible connection on Special for R4000 with my Discovery card and got R800 cash back, we are on Diamond for the last 3 years now - Vitality is worth while if you use it correctly.

Yeah, also got back R300+ on a set of Asics for my wife... there are plenty of perks to make it all worthwhile

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how much did the healthy gear...fee for team vitality...vitality monthly fee...and gym contract...sign up fee etc etc etc cost you?

by the way coffee at the coffee guys taste much better ;)

I've had a Garmin since 2008 and I joined VA long before the rewards program kicked in, so I shouldn't include it in my calculations. Without adding in the other benefits like the life policy, or 35% discount on flights, I save R1951.50 per year (based on our average spend per month). This excludes one-off purchases that are discounted if purchases are from a partner store.

However, as someone who has yet to join VA, or needs to get a device... it's a different story. It would cost me an additional R3748.50 in the first year, so it would take 2 years to recover the Garmin purchase and VA joining fees. This would be to get me on the same level I am at now. That is called an investment (something that requires some cash input with a positive ROI, in this case after 2 years).

The smoothies are nice, but I certainly wouldn't join for the sake of a free smoothie. I would join in the hope of getting sufficient cash back by the end of year 2.

Edit: some spelling and grammar

Edit again: I forgot about the Apple Watch, which would be a R250 saving per month if I meet my targets. R1k down, R5k to go.

Edited by geraldm24

how much did the healthy gear...fee for team vitality...vitality monthly fee...and gym contract...sign up fee etc etc etc cost you?

by the way coffee at the coffee guys taste much better ;)

You really don't get it do you!!... is not surprising you opted out of the discovery scheme

Health gear I would be buying anyway, this way I get 25% back on what I spend.

Team Vitality is R600 of which I had my CSA licence paid, got a free shirt, got R500 off a helmet and have had over R600 back in events I have entered and the Emperors palace race was totally free to enter (R345 saving)!!

Gym is also free as have already recouped the initial buy-in and now get paid to go to gym :)

So in reality it costs me nothing and I am currently making money out of the system as well as enjoying free smoothies

And I can assure you that nothing tastes better than a free smoothie.

Perhaps it is difficult for you to comprehend and is why you keep coming back on to this thread with rather pathetic little jibes thinking you are beating the system... when in fact many of us here who have bought into the system are creaming it by making it work for us!!

And I have not even highlighted half the things Myles has which we also get benefit of for working the system

I wish you well in your choice, but to keep coming here and trying to justify your decision, only has people laughing at you!

I also had the Garmin, VA membership, Disco Card and life insurance before Active rewards came along. Did not sign up for Team Vitality which was very stupid of me not to do...

I am on average getting back a month R200 in miles, R150 gym booster and R100 healthy foods. now 8 smoothies a month at an average R35 so its a no brainer to pay R199 for all of this... not forgetting the cash back on the life insurance which will be due next month.

Went for my usual Saturday morning ride, did 2:30 odd. Although the Garmin showed the ride, when I tried to upload I got a  "no Data" message.

Still got 100 points though as Samsung says I did more than 10 000 steps

They weren't interested. No VA card, no access.

Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk

strange - my oh isn't a member and pops in to our local VA to redeem my smoothie vouchers on a weekly basis with no issues...

strange - my oh isn't a member and pops in to our local VA to redeem my smoothie vouchers on a weekly basis with no issues...

Looks like it depends on which VA you go to. Lynwood Pretoria was fine when I visited my brother, but Bluff was absolute no entry. Could also be that some allow you as long as you are accompanied by a member. Point of my original post was that if you are outside a central area points are pretty useless. Even if I was to join VA, there is no Kauai at the Amanzimtoti gym to my knowledge.

End up just making target just for the sake of meeting the challenge.

Edited by garrethk

Ramadaan for me now so no exercise.

Looks like im gonna be forking out an apple watch installment this month.

have you tried contacting Discovery about this....surely they must have thought about it?

Bit of a confusing article from our resident anti-unhappy activist.......

How does that work......"no penalties"......"but".....

Discovery Vitality has since said this: "Members can apply for the formal exceptions process by e-mailing vitalityreview@discovery.co.za with valid reasons why they can no longer participate in Vitality Active Rewards with Apple Watch."

Reasons could include a change to the member's health or fitness, or "due to the rules changes impacting their exercise regime in a manner that they are unable to accept".

A review committee will consider either cancelling or pausing their Apple Watch benefit - no penalties will be charged but, in the case of cancellation, what's still owing on the watch will have to be paid.

Went for my usual Saturday morning ride, did 2:30 odd. Although the Garmin showed the ride, when I tried to upload I got a  "no Data" message.

Still got 100 points though as Samsung says I did more than 10 000 steps

Got the same with my Polar - three hour ride downloaded to >10,000 steps. For me it was a battery issue. The battery in the HR monitor was waning; once replaced it was all back to normal...

have you tried contacting Discovery about this....surely they must have thought about it?

I'll give it a try but I doubt they will budge. Technically you can still exercise at night but you would need a gym membership or an indoor trainer. I have none of those.

I didn't make last week's goal because of some random problem with Garmin to Disco. They say they investigating so let's see what happens....

There are always that local pro's that have spare TCX files....

Ok....I need to tell and ask the next question in Afrikaans (sorry for that) so that I can explain myself good enough......

Ek het Garmin device wat ek gebruik vir al my training (MTBing / Running / Gym ect)....ek neem aan ek het my jaarlikse limiet van 30 000 punte bereik want GEEN punte word verder geallokeer aan my Vitality of Vitality Active Rewards....dit is nie vir my probleem nie, maar voor dit was ons stautus 50 000 punte kort om GOUE status te bereik.

Ek het toe gegaan en my Garmin afgehaal van Garmin Connect en Discovery met die doel dat my vrou dit nou kan gebruik om haar 30 000 punte te kry sodat ons GOUE status kan bereik.

So het ek alles van die Garmin op haar naam gesit en na die 1ste sync met Garmin Connect het ons punte 100 000+ geraak nog voordat sy enige aktiwiteite gedoen het.....ek kla nie, maar is dit reg???? Wil nie oor paar maande hoor daar is of was 'n fout nie en dan haal die punte af van ons rekening op GOUE status nie????

Ek hoor graag of dit al met van julle gebeur het.