Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

I've always wondered about this points system on Vitality.

Where do they get their stats from i order to calculate the points?

I find it a very difficult pill to swallow when i do a 131km (6h 30min) mtb activity and get 300 points while when i complete a Parkrun 5km (45min) walk with my daughter in her stroller, i also get the 300 points.

Does this annoy anybody else?

It used to bother me a little, but I figure it is aimed more to just get people moving at all, than someone who willingly rides 3+ hours twice a weekend.

Now though, I am thankful for this - due to deadlines at work, I'm quite happy with some easy Park Run points. Guess I'm getting old.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but it's the rules. You accept it or you don't. And then use the rules to your advantage.

I find it a very difficult pill to swallow when i do a 131km (6h 30min) mtb activity and get 300 points while when i complete a Parkrun 5km (45min) walk with my daughter in her stroller, i also get the 300 points.

Jip, bonkers is when you do a 5hr activity and in that activity you know that there is a place where you were on average for more than 30min above the 80% region(300 points) Only to see you got 100points because the avg hr was between 60-69%. You could say the answer is the endurance category.

300 pts for 6 hr + event !!! - Then you obviously not registered with Disco as High performance Athlete. With HP status you would get 600 pts for over 2 hrs and HR ave above 70% i think. On the other hand your weekly target will also go up to 1200 max, where on the normal level its 600.

300 pts for 6 hr + event !!! - Then you obviously not registered with Disco as High performance Athlete. With HP status you would get 600 pts for over 2 hrs and HR ave above 70% i think. On the other hand your weekly target will also go up to 1200 max, where on the normal level its 600.

Normal is 900 Edited by Reme Le Hane

Problem is i don't normally do the time or the distance so registering for Endurance is a waste for me.

When you are sick or injured it is much easier to achieve 900 than the 1200... consider that !!

Especially if you can walk a park run for 300 of those points ;)

Edit: as for the points disparity, nope does not irk me one bit as I know I will get to gold anyway and will max my points allocation for workouts long before the end of the year!

Edited by shaper

When you are sick or injured it is much easier to achieve 900 than the 1200... consider that !!

And a MyRun for another 300

Yes, but it's the rules. You accept it or you don't. And then use the rules to your advantage.

Make no mistake i'm happy to go with the rules but all i'm inquiring about is how they determine the points system?

For example: In order to achieve your goals on a weekly basis you need to make use of a HR device and or a Apple watch for your activities (both of which you pay for sooner or later)

Whereas Parkrun is free for life, you can take as long as you want to complete the 5km and get the premium points based on an agreement that Vitality has with Parkrun.

Edit: as for the points disparity, nope does not irk me one bit as I know I will get to gold anyway and will max my points allocation for workouts long before the end of the year!

I hear you as i average on 1000 points a week for my activities. Was just interested to hear if somebody knew how they derived the points system.

Problem is i don't normally do the time or the distance so registering for Endurance is a waste for me.

Its not that hard to get 1200 pts per week. I have 3 IDT sessions planned each week Mon - Fri

2 X 1 hr

1 X 1.5 hr

so on the 1 hr session i wear my HR strap 15 min before the session starts while warming up and then 15 min after the session while cooling down. My HR ave always stays at above 70 % for the 1.5 hr duration = 450 pts X 2 sesions = 900 pts

I do the same for the 1.5 hr session and get a 2 hr ave HR above 70% = 600 pts

So in total = 1500 pts

Sat & Sun rides are always over 2 hrs so 1200 pts over the weekend and 2700 pts for the week

Make no mistake i'm happy to go with the rules but all i'm inquiring about is how they determine the points system?

For example: In order to achieve your goals on a weekly basis you need to make use of a HR device and or a Apple watch for your activities (both of which you pay for sooner or later)

Whereas Parkrun is free for life, you can take as long as you want to complete the 5km and get the premium points based on an agreement that Vitality has with Parkrun.

Ultimately, if you think about it, parkrun is aimed at the starters, the sedatary, not the active.

You, you can get loads of points easily, but for those of us whom are active, the points are a side effect of our lives, I would do the running, cycling and swimming just as much without discovery, I'd still have bought the fennix, the external hr strap, the mountain bike, running shoes, triathlon suite, all of it had I not been with discovery.

Being with discovery means I get rewarded and save on doing what I would have done either way.

So yes, it is kinda crap that a 5k walk means as much as a 75k ride, but personally I'd rather do the 75k ride than the 5k walk.

I seldom do parkrun, they my backup for if I get sick or something because starting a run at 8am is farking retarded 9 months of the year, it's too damned hot for me. Saturday I can be out on my ride as early as 530, there are very, very few days we're I would even think about starting something as late as 8am.

No you do not, I can swipe my gym card 6 days a week and do a park run on a Saturday to make the 900.

Alternatively I can swipe my gym card 3 days of the week, do a park run Sat and then do a 2.5km myrun on Sunday to achieve the 900

By doing 3 or even 6 gym swipes I will easily keep my rolling 36 gym entries a year and have my gym fee paid back to me

Edit: all of which is achievable when am down with man flue or some cycling related injury that keeps me off the bike

Edited by shaper

No you do not, I can swipe my gym card 6 days a week and do a park run on a Saturday to make the 900.

Alternatively I can swipe my gym card 3 days of the week, do a park run Sat and then do a 2.5km myrun on Sunday to achieve the 900

By doing 3 or even 6 gym swipes I will easily keep my rolling 36 gym entries a year and have my gym fee paid back to me

Edit: all of which is achievable when am down with man flue or some cycling related injury that keeps me off the bike

Ok i have the answer i need.

but on a side note... the gym swipes cost you a monthly fee as well. And i know you get the money back but just saying

Ok i have the answer i need.

but on a side note... the gym swipes cost you a monthly fee as well. And i know you get the money back but just saying

It's also gonna be made more tricky or at least less conveneient this year as they now require a min 30 min at the gym for points, still no word on how they tracking that, but once it's in u won't be able to turnstile the gym.