Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

Apologies if this has been covered already:

My wife and I recently signed up for the Discovery active rewards thing. I am using my step counter on the Samsung Shealth App as well as my Edge 305 in conjunction with a Garmin Connect account and gym swipes to get my points.

She on the other hand has started doing Voluntary Opfok Sessions We Train Classes in the mornings before work as well as the step count on her Shealth App.

The problem is that while she is bleeding through her eyes at her morning classes, none of this valuable data is being recorded as she has no fitness device on her. We thought about a heart rate strap and an app on the phone but carrying the phone is the issue. 

Is there a reasonably priced watch/band that she can use that doesn't need a chest strap and doesn't need to be within spitting distance of the phone to record data? 

Any other alternatives that don't involve carrying the phone on her? (Lots of running, boxing, yoga type things and a lot of sit and stand type activities which could potentially damage a phone)

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any other alternatives that don't involve carrying the phone on her? (Lots of running, boxing, yoga type things and a lot of sit and stand type activities which could potentially damage a phone)

Mio ALPHA

My wife and I recently signed up for the Discovery active rewards thing. I am using my step counter on the Samsung Shealth App as well as my Edge 305 in conjunction with a Garmin Connect account and gym swipes to get my points.

She on the other hand has started doing Voluntary Opfok Sessions We Train Classes in the mornings before work as well as the step count on her Shealth App.

The problem is that while she is bleeding through her eyes at her morning classes, none of this valuable data is being recorded as she has no fitness device on her. We thought about a heart rate strap and an app on the phone but carrying the phone is the issue.

Is there a reasonably priced watch/band that she can use that doesn't need a chest strap and doesn't need to be within spitting distance of the phone to record data?

you only need to carry your phone if you need gps. For those type of classes and activities you'll be using your heart rate only so you don't need the phone. The watch will record your heart rate just fine on its own.

She on the other hand has started doing Voluntary Opfok Sessions We Train Classes in the mornings before work as well as the step count on her Shealth App.

There are quite a few devices that does wrist based heart rate but not cheap - starting at about R2800 (I bought my wife a second hand Garmin here on the hub for R500 and works like a charm)

Edited by Dexter-morgan

As a matter of interest...The previous criteria I Posted was for Garmin this is the Strava requirement

In order for Member to earn Vitality points with Strava app, the workouts need to meet the minimum qualifying criteria.

Please see table below for qualifying criteria for workouts:

Intensity

Requirement

Average heart rate - % of age-related heart rate max (220 – age)

Average speed cycling

Average speed – swimming

Average speed other

Moderate

>=60% - <70%

>= 10km/hr - <19.9km/hr

1.5km/hr – 3.3km/hr

>= 5.5km/hr - <8km/hr

Vigorous

>=70%

>=20km/hr (~5mph) +

3.4km/hr+

>=8km/hr

Based on the above requirements, you will earn the following points:

Device workout type

Fitness category

Fitness points

Walking 5 000 – 9 999 steps

Fitness category level

Walking 10 000 to 12 499 steps

Fitness category level 1

30 – 44 minutes Moderate device workout

Fitness category level 1

Walking 12 500 + steps

Fitness category level 2

20 – 59 minutes of Vigorous device workout

Fitness category level 2

45 – 89 minutes of Moderate device workout

Fitness category level 2

60 – 89 minutes of Vigorous device workout

Fitness category level 3

90 -119 minutes of Moderate device workout

Fitness category level 3

120 min + minutes of Moderate Device Workout (Speed only)

Fitness category level 3

90 min + minutes of Vigorous device workout (Speed Only)

Fitness category level 3

90 – 119 minutes of Vigorous device workout (only heart rate based devices)

Fitness category level 4

1 500

120 – 359 minutes of Moderate device workout(only heart rate based devices)

Fitness category level 4

1 500

120 + minutes of Vigorous device workout(only heart rate based devices)

Fitness category level 5

3 000

360 + minutes of Moderate device workout(only heart rate based devices)

Fitness category level 5

3 000

For our members ease and convenience, we have set up a Vitality support page on our website for all queries related to fitness devices, apps and achieving Vitality fitness points.

If you have any more queries, please visit our online Vitality support page: www.discovery.co.za > Vitality > Vitality Support for a range of troubleshooting options.

Regards

Vitality Servicing Team

Why not get her the apple watch via the active reward benefit? The wrist based HRM will give her full benefit in these classes, and if she is doing them regularly she will hit her goal every week and the watch will be "free" aside from the once-off R350 activation fee. 

Edited by dracs

Myles, I stumbled upon "vitality active for life" Where it says a different app and more smoothies, also a 15% decrease in premiums and if I reach my goal 40 times a 1% decrease year on year?

Whats the deal on this bad boy? And why are these things launched so secretly? Feels like a game of hide and seek with discovery.

Create teams, you can get 2 rewards per week, I battle to finish all my smoothies.

Out of interest how many have to be in a team for a team reward.  I've only got myself and my brother in my team right now. We both get our targets most weeks but don't see any team reward.

Why not get her the apple watch via the active reward benefit? The wrist based HRM will give her full benefit in these classes, and if she is doing them regularly she will hit her goal every week and the watch will be "free" aside from the once-off R350 activation fee. 

Read somewhere that the Apple watch only works with the iPhones....?

Out of interest how many have to be in a team for a team reward.  I've only got myself and my brother in my team right now. We both get our targets most weeks but don't see any team reward.

Need at least two others to meet their goal

You and 2 team members need to reach your goals, then you get an extra reward.

Morning guys

I'm using strava on my Samsung S5 and used to get 3000 points based on time :clap: for an activity over 2 hours.

With the change in points allocation, I'm considering buying a Polar H7 strap to pick up my heart rate.

Is this strap compatible with Strava? The idea is to upload my heart rate to Disvovery as well.

I want to ensure that this Polar H7 will work before I buy it.

Thanks and enjoy Friday!! :clap:

Morning guys

I'm using strava on my Samsung S5 and used to get 3000 points based on time :clap: for an activity over 2 hours.

With the change in points allocation, I'm considering buying a Polar H7 strap to pick up my heart rate.

Is this strap compatible with Strava? The idea is to upload my heart rate to Disvovery as well.

I want to ensure that this Polar H7 will work before I buy it.

Thanks and enjoy Friday!! :clap:

According to their website it's a bluetooth device...so it should....