Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

anyone put the apple watch on a avo yet?

legit it reads a heart rate. 

- also tried it on a green apple and got a pulse.

anyone able to explain this??

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Every single one of them ?

It reads heart rate from a tub of Vaseline.....an apple.....a desk........maybe it's just not a good heart monitor to begin with.....

A few puzzling questions.....if Discovery want nothing to do with it.....why did they get involved in the first place.....

If you reach all your goals after 24 months.....who is out of pocket....

because a lot of people want it (evidently) and the data that Disco wanted. Not to mention that Apple want the data as well. 

I only get 1 for my efforts and 1 from the team

Ooooops is it possible I am carrying over from a previous week?

Edited by NotSoBigBen

Ooooops is it possible I am carrying over from a previous week?

Yes they're valid for 2 weeks. I was just about to get Devi from Carte Blanche on the phone!

Discovery, who funds it through the Vitality premiums, med aid savings and higher client retention figures they get as a result of the "hook" that they provide. Not to mention the data sharing agreement with Apple themselves, which means that they're probably getting a significant discount on the actual cost of the devices themselves. You buy watch, Disco pays apple, disco gets rebate / cost sharing agreement from apple. 

If you're saying that they're trying to make it more difficult cos they can't afford the cost of the smoothies, watch payments and and and - they you have NO idea as to the level of cost savings that increased physical activity and more health awareness have on their bottom line. It dwarfs a paltry 2 smoothies, gym membership discount and watch payment/

Myles.....I have enjoyed your contributions and all your valuable help within this thread.....but your are just a broker and it's starting to sound like you may have an interest in protecting the integrity of Discovery.....are you saying they are befitting financially from people being more active ?

You say the watch....smoothie and gym discounts are paltry ?

Then why is it so hard for Discovery to listen to all the complaints.....why is it so difficult for them to understand that they need to keep their clients happy....why do they contradict themselves as they do.....why are they dictating to elite level athletes to train according to their plan.....why....why.....why......a few of many questions unhappy Discovery members have brought forward......

I will put another spin on this.

My target is also sitting on 700 points for this week.

I have a couple of issues with the current VAR system but will only elaborate on one of them.

Saturday morning I was pushed for time and couldn't fit a 90 min session at 70%. 

I had to do my 300 points session on saturday with the rest of my training planned at 100 points another 4 sessions, in total 5 exersizes for the week.

In order for me to get my average HR above 80% for 30min. I had to do it from the start without any warmup, go as hard as I can for 30 min. Then stop the stupid watch and start another session to record the rest of my ride home which is silly. With todays technology this should not be nessesary.

So I achieved the 30 min above 80% but today I had to go see a chiro / phisio and Disco will pay the bill. 

Just because I did not warm up and that to be able to meet a stupid target with unreasonable points allocation.

If I do a warmup before hitting it hard it will be unlikely for me to hit the 80% mark and performance wise I will perform better.

I can still handle 1 speed/power session for the 30min above 80% but more that that in one week. I won't be able to handle. As it is I am starting to feel depleted and demotivated.

It really has taken the enjoyment out of my cycling. (if i wanted to race I will enter an event)

Wow, this thread is such a good example of how people don't want to take responsibility for their lives, how they live or what they do. Discovery do something rather innovative and pretty darn cool and now it's Discovery's fault because they don't train properly - don't warm up, go harder than recommended, for a smoothie or because they didn't think the purchase of an apple watch through? 

I feel like I got a new insight into how much blame people are willing to place on someone else for their own troubles. Rather interesting... 

Myles.....I have enjoyed your contributions and all your valuable help within this thread.....but your are just a broker and it's starting to sound like you may have an interest in protecting the integrity of Discovery.....are you saying they are befitting financially from people being more active ?

You say the watch....smoothie and gym discounts are paltry ?

Then why is it so hard for Discovery to listen to all the complaints.....why is it so difficult for them to understand that they need to keep their clients happy....why do they contradict themselves as they do.....why are they dictating to elite level athletes to train according to their plan.....why....why.....why......a few of many questions unhappy Discovery members have brought forward......

firstly - thanks for being so patronising. Really does help the conversation. You've been doing it more and more lately - what's up with that?

No, I do not have an interest in protecting their integrity - I am an independent advisor, dealing with all the major companies. I just favour logic and reason over pitchforking and SJW tactics. The majority of my income comes from my investment book, and whilst the majority of my Life insurance clients are on Discovery, only about 2 or 3 have taken up the Watch deal and I'd say that 80-90% of them are on gold / diamond status

And you're 100% correct in that Discovery's bottom line benefits from people being more active and aware of their health. That means less claims, lower lapse ratios, more information on how to structure their med aid products to benefit the client from a cost / benefit perspective (remember - med aids are a non profit by legislation - any profits they make go straight to the members' reserves, to be used for claims. The profitable part of a med aid isn't the med aid - it's the administration of a med aid, which Discovery Medical Aid Administrators takes care of - and charges Disco and any other med aids that they administer)

The fact of the matter is this - the Apple watch costs & smoothie vouchers are PALTRY compared to the cost savings that come from lower claims, lower lapse ratios and higher integration into their system. Add that to the fact that the large percentage of Vitality members aren't even using the benefits as advertised, thereby cross subsidising those who do... 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

firstly - thanks for being so patronising. Really does help the conversation. You've been doing it more and more lately - what's up with that?

The guy is an idiot. As stated about 100 pages ago. Just a broker comment confirms it.

Yes Myles, your are just a broker. Comment of the thread.

Tell us Myles, what was involved in becoming a broker? Could you just Google it?

I actually could, if I wanted to. That's how I learn about things I'm interested in... like carbon layup, engine performance characteristics & tweaks, woodworking tricks and tips; the list goes on... 

But no, I needed to do these pesky things called RE exams, and do something called RPL and get some credits for continual learning (cpd points, I think they are) and I'm currently redoing my entire qualification 'cos Unisa are to arse-faced to release my credit certificate so I can do the next step in my qualifications and get some pesky letters next to my name. But that won't do me any good, because I used to train brokers who had those pesky letters beside their names. All from getting taught myself, by people more experienced than I. And googling stuff I didn't know. And actually asking questions instead of assuming things. 

But no, I'm "just" a broker.