Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

I guess its a good move with many of the Vida's closing down. and M&B Chai tea is good, much better than any of the coffee.

Yip,

the Vida part never really made sense. Most of the shops have closed, you can't use the voucher at the garage shops. (or airport shops ). Atleast M&B is more accessible

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome. Have to buy a new pair soon... Does it count for Trail Running shoes as well?

Apparently ALL running shoes (suspect that includes trail shoes) for the first 3 months, thereafter subject to change based on take up and client recommendations. 

Suspect it may be narrowed down to a few select brands or something, but for Jan to March, go moggy. 

Help: When it comes to a cracked carbon frame, can I demand a replacement instead of a repair from insurance company. I am not happy with a repair that could break at 80km/h and that the value of the frame becomes zero.  

I am not sure if going to stay with Disco after this claim... 7 days to get this report from them.

Edited by Pure Savage

it does not really matter as you can log via the website any race event and get the points.  As an example the Wilro race last weekend is not on the Vitality Discovery events list.  I completed the manual submission on the Discovery webpage giving my race number, my finish time and a jpeg screen shot of my results from the racetec website.  Discovery can verify it with racetec as a timed event and must have already done so as I have been given 1500 points for it already.

Hi, just check as the Wilro race was on the calendar, just with a date somewhere in October.

Hi, just check as the Wilro race was on the calendar, just with a date somewhere in October.

ok, thanks for picking that up... has worked on other races not on their calendar

Apparently ALL running shoes (suspect that includes trail shoes) for the first 3 months, thereafter subject to change based on take up and client recommendations. 

Suspect it may be narrowed down to a few select brands or something, but for Jan to March, go moggy. 

That's an awesome addition, But you would think a Medical Aid would rather Team up with Reputable Running Shops, like Sweat Shop or something, with staff that know what they are doing and can recommend shoes that fit each persons pronation/Supination/Injuries etc.

This would bring them less Physio/Bio claims going forward.

SW staff have no clue and pretty much advise the Nimbus too all and sundry..

If you are going to give people free shoes at least make sure they are the correct shoe for the person...

Just my 2c worth..  but maybe I'm just a bit bitter as SW don't stock the Running shoes I wear

That's an awesome addition, But you would think a Medical Aid would rather Team up with Reputable Running Shops, like Sweat Shop or something, with staff that know what they are doing and can recommend shoes that fit each persons pronation/Supination/Injuries etc.

This would bring them less Physio/Bio claims going forward.

SW staff have no clue and pretty much advise the Nimbus too all and sundry..

If you are going to give people free shoes at least make sure they are the correct shoe for the person...

Just my 2c worth..  but maybe I'm just a bit bitter as SW don't stock the Running shoes I wear

Firstly, I agree with you. Go for a fit, at a reputable running shop. But once you're there, and you know whether you're a pronator / enutral etc, you can go elsewhere. 

secondly. Vitality is NOT - I repeat - NOT - Discovery Health. It is COMPLETELY different. One gives you medical aid benefits, which you use to cover the medical expenses and everything related to hospital admissions, doctors visits etc. 

The other is the tool through which Discovery is trying to improve every one of their clients' health through increased physical activity and knowledge of their health, so that it costs them and you less overall. 

Separate them in your mind. Discovery Health does not equal Discovery Vitality. You can have one without the other. 

Now that that's out the way, there's nothing stopping you from going to Sweat Shop or Athlete's Foot or any of the other running stores that are all over the place. You just won't get any discount there. They're not FORCING you to buy at SW - it's still your choice. One place you will get a discount, and hopefully be able to buy the right shoe for you, the other you will get personal service and a tailored fit. 

Yes I'd done it a number of times previously too, something's definitely broken at the moment - there are 3 of us having the problem now, hopefully it will get them taking it seriously...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Met my target ... but it doesnt sync..

We need to all email and contact them to give it priority

I had this exact issue of not linked and linked in the 2 different environments in February with my daughter. I gave up.

To keep you updated regarding my problem - I sent a query to Garmin SA as the instructions on the Vitality app mentioned it. 7 days later I get a reply from Garmin SA - better late than no reply, I guess

They say the problem of linking/delinking happens when there is more than one Garmin Connect account registered. I created a second account after the April changes, and have remained with the second account ever since. I still send selective rides to them via this second account.

Anyway, perhaps you guys with the problem could also check if you have another account. Who knows? Maybe your problem will be resolved.

Help: When it comes to a cracked carbon frame, can I demand a replacement instead of a repair from insurance company. I am not happy with a repair that could break at 80km/h and that the value of the frame becomes zero.  

I am not sure if going to stay with Disco after this claim... 7 days to get this report from them.

I am sure you can demand a replacement on the basis that you don't find it safe riding a repaired frame. Get your LBS to "put together" a report on the dangers and concerns of riding a repaired frame at high speeds.

Oh - also - on the free shoe thing. 9 times out of 10 the type of person who won't have  aclue what to do will also not be using a dedicated running shoe for running, or are only just entering the world of fitness. Offering them an incentive to get on the wagon is infinitely more worthwhile to Vitality & disco as a whole than keeping them off their feet. 

Just imagine how many more people will want to get a set of running shoes now that they won't have to spend 2k to get in on the game? And yes, I know - there are other options - my current Kanadias cost me R 600 from Footgear. But that's not the point. The point is that this will open up the floodgates to get more people physically active. Which is what they want. Because it drives down mortality and morbidity numbers immensely... 

you or I will know that we need XYZ and therefore can see which of the SW shoes fit us within those parameters. 

It had to happen eventually, been loading my workouts with Garmin edge 25 all year (rather smugly I might add) but now they have suddenly stopped synching to VAR. I tried the delink/relink suggestion but no joy, I have doubts whether I'm doing it right anyway as I started to delink on Vitalty app, but was directed to Garmin website, couldn't find a "delink" button, so just removed device from garmin connect. Vitality still showing a garmin device connected so awaiting "blah blah" response from email from Vitality experts.

To keep you updated regarding my problem - I sent a query to Garmin SA as the instructions on the Vitality app mentioned it. 7 days later I get a reply from Garmin SA - better late than no reply, I guess

They say the problem of linking/delinking happens when there is more than one Garmin Connect account registered. I created a second account after the April changes, and have remained with the second account ever since. I still send selective rides to them via this second account.

Anyway, perhaps you guys with the problem could also check if you have another account. Who knows? Maybe your problem will be resolved.

No i only have one garmin connect account and i have the same issue. So it is definitely not that.

On that note im still nowhere with no response

I am sure you can demand a replacement on the basis that you don't find it safe riding a repaired frame. Get your LBS to "put together" a report on the dangers and concerns of riding a repaired frame at high speeds.

There are none, if it's done properly. 

If it's not done properly, then there's a problem. The primary issue though would be the cost of the value of the item post repair, and whether the repairer is qualified to perform the repairs properly. 

Garmin SA say that Vitality can/should confirm which GC account they are reading the data from. The fact that it's happening to others, could indicate a problem on their (Vitality) side, as we have suspected all along.

Garmin SA say that Vitality can/should confirm which GC account they are reading the data from. The fact that it's happening to others, could indicate a problem on their (Vitality) side, as we have suspected all along.

I think they need to kick some serious 3rd party app coder ass.