Read any good books this holiday?

Vetseun

post-2696-0-10277200-1578641922.jpg

Interesting read to start the new year.

Sinek, in all his books and stuff he writes likes the idea that the "we" is more important than they "I".

This books provides a different perspective on the motivations of doing things. I am sure a lot of people will resist the concept of what he is saying, but there is some merit in his story.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sandworm:

Sandworm: A New Era of Cyberwar and the Hunt for the Kremlin's Most Dangerous Hackers

https://www.amazon.com/Sandworm-Cyberwar-Kremlins-Dangerous-Hackers/dp/B07RGRTZM6/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=sandworm&qid=1578648378&sr=8-1

the problem is to try and describe to the mere mortal what this bok is all about. Kind of makes you really worried about the future of what warfare will look like especially in the light of drone strikes. there is no framework like the Geneva convention to govern this.

I found a batch of James Hadley Chase thrillers on Bid or Buy.

Took the lot.

Flip, easy reading.

So cool to live in the 50's.

I had them all.The sixties was the time to be a teenager.

Shock Doctrine - Naomi Kline

it's a staggering perspective on the relationship between torture, economics and conflicts afflicting our world. It can leave you with the bizarre realization that perhaps, the EFF is not entirely wrong.

If anyone had any doubts about Confessions of an Economic Hitman - John Perkins, Shock Doctrine will vaporise those doubts.

Edited by Capricorn

Last couple I've read:

Samurai - John Man 

Very detailed, textbook almost. Not at all the flowing story of a secretive figure/society I was hoping for.

1 Recce - Alexander Strachan

Awful. One or two juicy bits about the training and missions, but overall poorly written and seemed to get lost in irrelevant details. 

Finding Gobi - Dion Leonard

Reads like a You Magazine article. Fun, very easy reading, hardly life-changing.

No Friend But The Mountains - Behrouz Boochani

Intense. Differently written prose but the message is crystal clear. Story is about an asylum seeking Kurd imprisoned on Manus Island. A real eye-opener.

Can't Hurt Me - David Goggins

Only read this if you know the man and subscribe to that lifestyle. Very simplistic writing, feels like you're getting shouted at the entire read. Definitely some cool bits in there to get you fired up, otherwise hardly an award-winner.

Wild - Cheryl Strayed

Well written easy page-turner about a deeply personal trek across the Pacific Crest Trail.

Born To Run - Christopher McDougall

Stunning. Savoured every word. Struck a chord somewhere within me and has definitely changed my perspective. 

Shock Doctrine - Naomi Kline

it's a staggering perspective on the relationship between torture, economics and conflicts afflicting our world. It can leave you with the bizarre realization that perhaps, the EFF is not entirely wrong.

If anyone had any doubts about Confessions of an Economic Hitman - John Perkins, Shock Doctrine will vaporise those doubts.

Don't you find it interesting how Trump has used this tactic to paralyze the once health democracy known as America.

Scandal after scandal, he's mesmerised the American people into this stupor while pushing through - Tax cuts and deregulations, that enrich himself and his wealthy handlers while disenfranchising the vulnerable and endangering the planet. It's almost like he read the book (giving him a bit too much credit here) and used it as a sort of manual to run his presidency.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished _The Map and the Territory _by Houellebecq. I was expecting some very clever self referential novel sort of on the level of the movie Synecdoche, NY by Charlie Kaufman.

Two from the outfield.

"Agriculture, Furniture & Marmalade" by Greg Mills. It is a chronicle of just about every Southern African motor racing driver who turned a wheel, many I had not heard of.  Detailed and fascinating. The tile comes from advice given to an aspirant SA racing driver going to the UK and how he should sound knowledgeable by mentioning these subjects.  I can't remember who they were - it is in the book.

"let my people go surfing" by yvon choinard, founder of Patagonia and (I think) the first to consider environmental sustainability and impact in his business.  I cannot help but feel the world would be a great better place if more people ran their businesses like he does.  Could be some self publicity if one is cynical.

Born To Run - Christopher McDougall

Stunning. Savoured every word. Struck a chord somewhere within me and has definitely changed my perspective. 

Just started reading his book Running with Sherman The Donkey with the Heart of a Hero. Very enjoyable.

Busy Reading a book called The Five. About the women killed by JAck the Ripper. Interesting read and does challenge some of the notions we had about these unfortunate souls.  Also gives good insight into the life and conditions of poor Londoners at the end of the 19th century. Life was much tougher then.

Just started reading his book Running with Sherman The Donkey with the Heart of a Hero. Very enjoyable.

I might get this one next then, my running book binge is quickly exhausting the Exclusive Books supply... 

Just finished The Rise of the Ultra Runners - Adharanand Finn.

A couldn't-put-it-down book. Author tracks his own journey of training, qualifying and racing the UTMB 100 miler. The insights and mental gymnastics (read demons) were perfectly transcribed and had me laughing at how similar parts were to my own experiences. A very entertaining easy read. 

• 2 months later...

Being Mortal by Atul Gawande

I've read When Breath Become Air by Paul Kalanithi which may be my best book ever, and this one is in a similar theme. Being Mortal looks at old age and end of life care options and decisions from the view of a medical professional seeking a little more insight than most. In parts its a little neither here nor there but some chapters are absolutely riveting.

Good food for thought in an area we don't like to think or talk about.

Trackers - Deon Meyer

Frats - Chris Karsten

Killing Floor - Lee Child

n Droe Wit seisoen - Andre P Brink

Refuge - Andrew Brown

Medi-Clinic - 25 jaar van gehaltesorg - Wille Esterhuyse

The woman with the blue cloak - Deon Meyer

Any ideas where I can buy more Lee Child titles?

I miss my bikes