Touring suggestion?

Sepia

The new order for saddlebags is complete and I will endeavor to post off tomorrow or Wednesday to those who ordered and have paid.

Did have some extras made for those still interested.

Just an  update........

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am loving this thread. Also quite envious. I did some touring years ago. Loved it. This image is how I packed for touring. The panniers made the back end a bit heavy so the handlebar bag helped keep,the front down. I couldn't tolerate anything on my back. For shelter I used a goretex bivvy bag. I still have it. I have a hardtail MTB I never use anymore. Perhaps I should do one more tour

post-6146-0-10831400-1471285407_thumb.jpeg

I am loving this thread. Also quite envious. I did some touring years ago. Loved it. This image is how I packed for touring. The panniers made the back end a bit heavy so the handlebar bag helped keep,the front down. I couldn't tolerate anything on my back. For shelter I used a goretex bivvy bag. I still have it. I have a hardtail MTB I never use anymore. Perhaps I should do one more tour

Dust off that bivvy..Never too late for another tour  :thumbup:

Each town could hang this together for themselves and move onto another town by road if the bush is not your thing.

Just looking at getting people out there who do not race or are unable to race.

Putting some miles in to a different place is more appealing than finishing at the start?  Going places is better!

This could lead to doing further distances and to check gear if the intention is to go minimalist for events coming up you are not sure about doing but would like to give it a try?

Durban is a good place to start something like this?

https://thunderboytjie.wordpress.com/2016/08/10/namibia2knysna/

This thread makes my skin tingle. In Feb 2015 I finished a project in Port Elizabeth and decided to take the scenic route home...So I jumped on my MTB and cycled 1100km to Parys. Stayed mostly on gravel roads, and slept in B&B's and backpackers. Probably the coolest 8 days of my life.

This thread makes my skin tingle. In Feb 2015 I finished a project in Port Elizabeth and decided to take the scenic route home...So I jumped on my MTB and cycled 1100km to Parys. Stayed mostly on gravel roads, and slept in B&B's and backpackers. Probably the coolest 8 days of my life.

please dont tell me thats the last time you did it...

please dont tell me thats the last time you did it...

The moment I read your reply, my face turned into the sad/ashamed emoticon.

Yes, that was the last proper tour. I've done some one or two day bikepacks, but nothing close.

I do however have some plans up my sleeve...

Edited by Bushdaaif

• 2 weeks later...

So the plan got updated very early on Saturday morning and i decided to cycle to Roodekoppies dam, spend the night an head back to Centurion on Sunday...

I did the very lazy tour to the dam, stopping a bunch of small tittle shops and soaking up the sun and riding some long sandy HI ways... Got at Roodekoppies at 12:30... die camping there didn’t look like much and every ware is notice boards warning you of crocodiles...this somehow for me would just not work with my tarp tent and sleeping bag so close to the water...

GPS said, i did 103km, I decided to change my plans again... I never did 200km in one continuous ride... so i headed back to Pretoria, got home 19:40 Saturday night

post-12987-0-97134900-1472453507_thumb.jpg

post-12987-0-02775200-1472453509_thumb.jpg

post-12987-0-96773500-1472453509_thumb.jpg

post-12987-0-03530200-1472453511_thumb.jpg

post-12987-0-37924900-1472453511_thumb.jpg

post-12987-0-74764200-1472453511_thumb.jpg

Cool thread,

Myself and two friends did a slow and scenic trip from the Caledonspoort border post in Lesotho , down through Lesotho exiting at Telle bridge. We then continued through to Cape Town.

Took us 32 days, 2500Km completely unsupported , we spent the odd night in BnB's.

In total it cost us each around R3000 each for a month of riding through South Africa- was awesome ! 

We made a little video if would like to watch

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2e4xjy_the-naked-trail-2014_sport

So the plan got updated very early on Saturday morning and i decided to cycle to Roodekoppies dam, spend the night an head back to Centurion on Sunday...

I did the very lazy tour to the dam, stopping a bunch of small tittle shops and soaking up the sun and riding some long sandy HI ways... Got at Roodekoppies at 12:30... die camping there didn’t look like much and every ware is notice boards warning you of crocodiles...this somehow for me would just not work with my tarp tent and sleeping bag so close to the water...

GPS said, i did 103km, I decided to change my plans again... I never did 200km in one continuous ride... so i headed back to Pretoria, got home 19:40 Saturday night

Good days riding, well done, 200k on a hot day carrying all your stuff with!