Bike Hub weight loss challenge 2016

Bikehub weight loss competition  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in participating in a weight loss competition

• Yes
    • Perhaps
    • Where's my cake?

Yep its mostly in the mind, it takes a few days of resisting the urge to eat larger than required portions and then you should become used to the smaller portion size...with less craving. Drinking more fluids (like water) before eating helps, also chew your food properly don't just taste and swallow... the more you chew your food the quicker your brain will think you have had enough.

This. Definitely.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm struggling with portion size. After pigging out for weeks on end these normal size portions don't seem to be enough. Any tips? Tricks? I'm sure this is a psychological roadblock in the road to weight loss.

Learn to distinguish between stomach hunger and head hunger. That is actual hunger and thinking you're hungry. Actual hunger can be characterised by growling tummy while head hunger is more like a craving. Do an experiment. Have breakfast then see how long it takes before you tummy starts grumbling. This should be around lunch time but if its later it probably means your breakfast portion is too big or earlier its too small. 

I'm as guilty as the next guy of eating too much, especially the sweet stuff but I'm learning to control portion size. 

Learn to distinguish between stomach hunger and head hunger. That is actual hunger and thinking you're hungry. Actual hunger can be characterised by growling tummy while head hunger is more like a craving. Do an experiment. Have breakfast then see how long it takes before you tummy starts grumbling. This should be around lunch time but if its later it probably means your breakfast portion is too big or earlier its too small. 

I'm as guilty as the next guy of eating too much, especially the sweet stuff but I'm learning to control portion size. 

Very true, the body clock gets so accustomed to routine that i can almost tell the time by my eating cravings...i hardly go long enough to feel my tummy grumble..

Normally takes me 4 days to get used to eating less. From day 4-5 its all over and you eat when you are really hungry and not when you think you are hungry

Okay, I'm checked in. Can someone please PM banking details? (If it has been sorted out yet)

(And no, don't everyone PM me banking details I'm not THAT gullible.)

I am in.  Added my details on the sheet.

Starting doing Bottelary Hills last weekend and enjoying it!

For people struggling with android to access the sheet, you must download Google Sheets from Play Store. Then go to 1st post and long press on "HERE" and choose "OPEN IN NEW WINDOW". Edit using Google Sheets.

Hope it helps

Following up from this thread, I would like to propose a running challenge throughout 2016 to motivate further weight loss and healthier lifestyles throughout the year.

The proposal is as follows, but there is room for negotiation:

1.) Each participating member will deposit R50 monthly into a central bank account. The total kitty will go to the member that showed the biggest overall loss over a (to be) determined period of time. I will contact a few cycling suppliers to establish interest in sponsoring a prize or perhaps exchanging the kitty for a cycling supplier voucher.

2.) An online, shared, document will be hosted where participants can update their weight. This will need to be done every Monday. Proof of initial weigh-in as well as weekly proof needs to be submitted

3.) The competition will run over 3 month periods. If it works as planned, we can discuss extending it.

4.) Weight loss will be determined by BMI percentage dropped and not mass to keep a level playing field.

5.) If a member no longer wishes to participate, he forfeits all money already paid into the kitty.

The aim of this is not to reward members with monetary value, but to facilitate and motivate a general healthier lifestyle.

A healthy rider is a happy rider.

Please feel free to make suggestions and indicate interest in the poll

Update: Weigh-in sheet can be found HERE

Here

My apologies for being quiet today, little hectic at the office.

I'll check through everything tomorrow and make sure we're on track.

Thanks for those who've already updated their weights

Archived