Yolande de Villiers sanctioned for anti-doping rule violation

News bot

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are all cyclists at the end of the day. We can't cry for a clean sport but break the rules ourselfs just because we are not being paid to cycle. The same rules that governs them, governs us. 

Ai Hennie. Naive post at its best. 

I'll use asthma pompies, panado syrup, heart meds, etc etc, during the weekend races, if it means I survive the track and go home, being able to get to my full-time job on Monday. I have no idea what is on the Wada/UCI/CSA  list and I don't care. I definitely don't check ingredients of meds, and never will. I only check ingredients of boerewors at checkers

Edited by dre

Interesting and obviously a little sad and depressing. Interesting as it would be good to see the levels of prohibited substances and the amount that had to have been taken to give these levels (obviously there is a time factor).  Then it would be interesting (that word again) to know what products GUARANTEE there will be no banned substances in them.  Finally a list of the TUE's issued would be um, interesting.

Finally, interesting would be to see if they tested the whole field in say the Epic, how many would glow.  My guess would be more in the back markers than the front.  I'm not on any serious medication but have been (matters were er, serious when it was applied so I didn't dicker about its components) so don't know if it was "banned" and how long it will be detectable, therefore I ain't throwing no stones.  So someone could rise up from 567th to 566th! or something.

Do you also complain about all the corruption and fraud being committed in our government but when you get into your car you break the speed limit and don't stop dead at stop signs?

Rules are rules. You break them then your wrong..........there's no gray area or any justification for your actions.

"you can't just be a little bit pregnant"

They should be able to, shouldn't they.

Gen...I think sometimes we are too gullible for our own good...that would of course be that we assume they passed with flying colours....take their creed serious....and keep up to date with the latest developments in drugs....most of them don't have time to see the medical reps. especially not to sit and spend an hour understanding what the drug does (a 2 minute explanation) but then to listen to all the ingredients and take it a step further by making notes as to what could and could not land an athlete in hot water...then of course we put full faith in to the drug manufactures....companies that make billions by often b'ssing the public...and also keep too many secrets to themselves...call me a conspiracist.....but it's a nasty planet we live on....

Edited by BarHugger

Because we are all governed by the same rules...what is good for the goose is good for the gander.....Baaisiklist is a classic example of this....just quite comical...and someone did mention that the comic train arrived....how we all sit here with a moral chip....yet we are no more responsible for our own actions that the pro's....that is of course if we all believe in abiding by rules....

Baaisiklist doped, he admitted it... but why in gods name where they testing him in the first place when we clearly have bigger problems higher in the ranks?

How many people in the world care about Baaisiklest doping? Zero

How many people were effected by is actions? Zero

I still maintain I don't care the slightest about people who dope or accidentally dope down in the lower ranks - that is their problem. The only people they are cheating is themselves.

Interesting and obviously a little sad and depressing. Interesting as it would be good to see the levels of prohibited substances and the amount that had to have been taken to give these levels (obviously there is a time factor).  Then it would be interesting (that word again) to know what products GUARANTEE there will be no banned substances in them.  Finally a list of the TUE's issued would be um, interesting.

Finally, interesting would be to see if they tested the whole field in say the Epic, how many would glow.  My guess would be more in the back markers than the front.  I'm not on any serious medication but have been (matters were er, serious when it was applied so I didn't dicker about its components) so don't know if it was "banned" and how long it will be detectable, therefore I ain't throwing no stones.  So someone could rise up from 567th to 566th! or something.

This  :thumbup:

I am an amateur, I ride my bike cause I like to do it, I dont get paid. Part of my day job is to follow company's protocols and procedures. If I value the roof over my head and food on my table, I will make sure I adhere to them. The "pro" cyclists need to do the same. I won't jeopardize my livelyhood, so should they.

I am not prepared to make my hobby a job....If they test me and I took X Y or Z because I had a sore throat....so be it, I am a doper, the rules are clear. 

Some might say if you are sick enough to take medication you shouldn't be riding, you have a responsibility to yourself and your family ^_^

Some stuff on the banned list is there because its not healthy to take....to try prevent sportsmen from damaging their health...

Wont be the first time that someone thought they just had a sore throat, and then croaked doing a sporting event.

Edited by SwissVan

If you are using an inhaler and taking part in a sanctioned event, need a TUE, GP should fill out the forms for you quick sticks.

*My brother used one and needed a TUE for his chronic asthma and needed one. May not all be the same, it will be part of the TUE process, checking whats in it etc. His was a steriod based one.*

Depends which one. My wife and son use and out of interest i checked theirs and they wouldn't

need a TUE.

Do you also complain about all the corruption and fraud being committed in our government but when you get into your car you break the speed limit and don't stop dead at stop signs?

Rules are rules. You break them then your wrong..........there's no gray area or any justification for your actions.

That's a false analogy, Hennie.

What is your argument, exactly? Are you proposing that rules on violations be relaxed for professionals or that amateurs be subjected to more stringent testing?

Baaisiklist doped, he admitted it... but why in gods name where they testing him in the first place when we clearly have bigger problems higher in the ranks?

I still maintain I don't care the slightest about people who dope or accidentally dope down in the lower ranks - that is their problem. The only people they are cheating is themselves.

You are of course 100% correct in what you are saying....most of us will agree, I know I do....but that logic does smack of double standards....what a fickle animal we are.....

Some might say if you are sick enough to take medication you shouldn't be riding, you have a responsibility to yourself and your family ^_^

Some stuff on the banned list is there because its not healthy to take....to try prevent sportsmen from damaging their health...

Wont be the first time that someone thought they just had a sore throat, and then croaked doing a sporting event.

agree, in that camp.

Ai Hennie. Naive post at its best. 

I'll use asthma pompies, panado syrup, heart meds, etc etc, during the weekend races, if it means I survive the track and go home, being able to get to my full-time job on Monday. I have no idea what is on the Wada/UCI/CSA  list and I don't care. I definitely don't check ingredients of meds, and never will. I only check ingredients of boerewors at checkers

Not naive actually. Why are you reading this thread? Are you thinking "Wow Yolande is a doper" ...............but you might be one as well? 

I don't care what medicine your using or why your using it but if you want to really be fair to those around you then you should be either checking your meds or get the doctor to check it and apply for a TUE or change your stance regarding doping and say it's ok to dope.

You are of course 100% correct in what you are saying....most of us will agree, I know I do....but that logic does smack of double standards....what a fickle animal we are.....

Although your intent is good, its just impractical and a bit unrealistic. Imagine the race fees if everyone needs to be tested...they have a tough time catching just the elite pro's. The focus should be on them

Double standards and the doping rules are there to protect athletes from themselves...its not only about performance enhancement but also athletes health.