Cycle Lab bullies need to be addressed

Baracuda

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Barry said:

What to do if you have an accident ? How do you explain to your insurance that the homeless dude said you could proceed through the intersection.  Nearly all drivers in PTA seem to obey the instructions of these dude's. 

Agree. We're drifting off topic....the Outsurance guys carry a huge public indemnity of around 50 or 100Million....plus because they are authorizef to do point duty your insurance would cover you.

My gripe on the guys doing point duty for Club Cyclelab is that a few weeks ago at Lanseria 4 way stop, they got it hopelessly wrong when cars were in the intersection they stopped them to allow the Cyclelab riders through ...I avoid driving out to the Cradle that route because to overtake the 4-wide bunches of entitled Cyclelab club riders is too much of a mission....

51 minutes ago, love2fly said:

Agree. We're drifting off topic....the Outsurance guys carry a huge public indemnity of around 50 or 100Million....plus because they are authorizef to do point duty your insurance would cover you.

My gripe on the guys doing point duty for Club Cyclelab is that a few weeks ago at Lanseria 4 way stop, they got it hopelessly wrong when cars were in the intersection they stopped them to allow the Cyclelab riders through ...I avoid driving out to the Cradle that route because to overtake the 4-wide bunches of entitled Cyclelab club riders is too much of a mission....

So here's the thing... maybe a little bit of perspective. I ride in the CL bunches and whenever someone rides more than 2 abreast, they do get reprimanded. The marshals are constantly shouting out for the group to keep it tidy. It's never perfect, but mostly clean and safe. 

Two situations are blown out of proportion and not seen for what they are:

1. There are a LOT of non-club members that jump onto the bunch in the cradle. They often don't ride to the group's rules, but they also get called out. This is a touchy one and almost always results in a fight. And then CL gets called a bully. But honestly, if u invite yourself to a bunch (and you really shouldn't), then FIFO.

2. There are about 6 road groups with the faster groups doing longer routes (108km vs. 93km). When overtaking a bunch, yes it looks like 4 abreast, but it's really not. If overtaking another CL bunch, yes it absolutely looks that way coz everyone's in club kit, but I can assure you it's VERY temporary. 

If you really are so aggrieved, all the Marshals and many club members are at the Fourways store for brekkie around 10am, come have a chat and air your gripes. It will be taken seriously. But to sit and moan online and assume they are bullies is just looking for negativity and drama. 

Nobody wakes up wanting to annoy the entire cycling community. Sometimes it's a perk (thats a joke for those that wont get it), but really we just want to get out with mates and forget about life's other challenges for a few hours. For most of us, the best part is having some coffee after, not counting who cheesed off the highest number of people that morning! 

5 hours ago, Barry said:

What to do if you have an accident ? How do you explain to your insurance that the homeless dude said you could proceed through the intersection.  Nearly all drivers in PTA seem to obey the instructions of these dude's. 

Its the Capital 😁

On 9/16/2023 at 12:47 PM, MeganD said:

The cycle lab bullies are at it again - we were riding in the cradle this morning when a large peloton of cycle lab guys, riding 4 abreast and taking up the whole road, started hurling abuse and swearing at riders telling them to get out the way and move over. Not one was riding in the cycle lane. Who is responsible for these groups? One day someone is going to get hurt !!!

4 hours ago, Dude Crush said:

So here's the thing... maybe a little bit of perspective. I ride in the CL bunches and whenever someone rides more than 2 abreast, they do get reprimanded. The marshals are constantly shouting out for the group to keep it tidy. It's never perfect, but mostly clean and safe. 

1. There are a LOT of non-club members that jump onto the bunch in the cradle. They often don't ride to the group's rules, but they also get called out. This is a touchy one and almost always results in a fight. And then CL gets called a bully. But honestly, if u invite yourself to a bunch (and you really shouldn't), then FIFO.

2. There are about 6 road groups with the faster groups doing longer routes (108km vs. 93km). When overtaking a bunch, yes it looks like 4 abreast, but it's really not. If overtaking another CL bunch, yes it absolutely looks that way coz everyone's in club kit, but I can assure you it's VERY temporary. 

If you really are so aggrieved, all the Marshals and many club members are at the Fourways store for brekkie around 10am, come have a chat and air your gripes. It will be taken seriously. But to sit and moan online and assume they are bullies is just looking for negativity and drama. 

Nobody wakes up wanting to annoy the entire cycling community. Sometimes it's a perk (thats a joke for those that wont get it), but really we just want to get out with mates and forget about life's other challenges for a few hours. For most of us, the best part is having some coffee after, not counting who cheesed off the highest number of people that morning! 

Just make sure when you get there at 10am you dont meet this fella: "started huling abuse and swearing at riders telling them to get out the way and move over" or we might have to come with an ambulance for you. 

I see that this thread goes back to 2016 with the same theme.

Its the usual strength in numbers / mob mentality that many groups seem to adopt. Bikers, runners, people on the internet etc. Common sense seems to dissolve a bit. And then there are a few Alphas that behave worse than everyone else and give the whole bunch a bad name.

Cyclelab does seems to attract a 'Love to Hate' vibe though. Both the shop and the club.

10 hours ago, Dude Crush said:

I know what one bunch overtaking another looks like, and I know what one bunch riding 3-4 abreast looks like

The Cradle has become an absolute S..t show of late.

Feel a lot safer doing my suburb routes from home having to doge the odd taxi (which most of the times are more considerate that the motorists.)

If I do venture out to the cradle, will rather go in the afternoon.

19 minutes ago, splat said:

I see that this thread goes back to 2016 with the same theme.

Its the usual strength in numbers / mob mentality that many groups seem to adopt. Bikers, runners, people on the internet etc. Common sense seems to dissolve a bit. And then there are a few Alphas that behave worse than everyone else and give the whole bunch a bad name.

Cyclelab does seems to attract a 'Love to Hate' vibe though. Both the shop and the club.

I have actually started buying more and more from CL (Fourways) as their pricing has improved and sometimes even the service on the floor but I'm for sure going to stop that immediately. I've had my concerns with their club riders over the years, but this latest behaviour takes the cake....*me heading off the support a LBS where Im supporting the little guy*

2 minutes ago, FondTF2 said:

Feel a lot safer doing my suburb routes from home having to doge the odd taxi (which most of the times are more considerate that the motorists.)

Be careful in the burbs, it just takes one car to ruin your day....yip, the Cradle is becoming a **** show, more glass and more and more riders feeling the need to have a support vehicle following them, which does nothing for the average road user....I don't get this support vehicle thing ...I've ridden the Cradle area for 20 odd years, before there was a "loop" and despite various punctures and mechanicals I've never felt the need for a support vehicle.....the ride etiquette and awareness for surroundings seems to be declining?

It's also not all bunches that ride like cretins, Club 100 and Northcliff Cycles are (for me anyway), two standouts for how bunches should ride ...

I'm not here to defend anyone, I've had my fair share of encounters with CL bunches.

But do want to put a real world spin on this.

Last week during our 200km group ride we were instructed to be maximum 2 abreast, and when indicated, single file. Most of the group complied, but it was consistently 1 or 2 individuals that decided the entire road belongs to them. Marshals would call them out, they would move over, and then a few minutes later would be back taking over the road.

As in anything in life, its normally just a small number of individuals that stuff it up for everyone.

11 hours ago, Dude Crush said:

Bwahaha dont ruin it for the Snowflakes - you mean you were not trying to intentionally bully them off ?

I literally could take this whole string and cut paste from years ago. Every time the spring weather hits the cradle gets busy and everyone is particulalry keen to advise the other road users on how they should ride.

Secondly If you have ever tried to marshall a large group of cyclists you will know that everyone thinks they are the best road handler in the bunch and WTF do you think you are doing telling me to ride single file?

Edited by Paul Ruinaard

48 minutes ago, FondTF2 said:

Its 947 time. 

Everyone is dusting their bikes off for last minute dot com training! Lekker!

So yesterday myself and a few mates were out riding the Hoogekraal skills park doing the jumps and afterwards decided we were heading up the hill to do the Hammer flow line descent. We stopped by the bench at the Welvergenoegd trail head for a breather and had just started off again when I hear a group of riders coming up from behind, at pace. I called out to my mates up ahead who had already entered the single track that a group of motorcyclists were coming up the hill, and it was at that point that I overheard the one chop tell his mate that "they were in the way"  - by they, he meant us - and then there was some gruff mumbling and cursing happening as they passed.

Herewith the point of my story. Next time I hear an e-bike coming up the hill at pace behind me, I will not be moving over. You will have to find a route through the Renoster veld if you want to pass me. 

It's not only road cyclists in club gear acting like a bunch of entitled morons, they also ride e-bikes.

20 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

So yesterday myself and a few mates were out riding the Hoogekraal skills park doing the jumps and afterwards decided we were heading up the hill to do the Hammer flow line descent. We stopped by the bench at the Welvergenoegd trail head for a breather and had just started off again when I hear a group of riders coming up from behind, at pace. I called out to my mates up ahead who had already entered the single track that a group of motorcyclists were coming up the hill, and it was at that point that I overheard the one chop tell his mate that "they were in the way"  - by they, he meant us - and then there was some gruff mumbling and cursing happening as they passed.

Herewith the point of my story. Next time I hear an e-bike coming up the hill at pace behind me, I will not be moving over. You will have to find a route through the Renoster veld if you want to pass me. 

It's not only road cyclists in club gear acting like a bunch of entitled morons, they also ride e-bikes.

Paint a whole community with the same brush, and decided to act accordingly in future.. 

You are just as bad as "them".

and we wonder why motorists hate cyclists, because we are own worst enemy at times.

as usual, don't be a ****, be lekker.