[Event] 947 Cycle Challenge 2016

SWAGG

Started A bunch and lost the front of the group before I even got a chance to cross the start line Due to some of the challenges with the start loading as have been discussed. I've got a bit more of a "diesel engine" so don't really do that well trying to close gaps from middle of the bunch from the get go. Seemed like there were already 3 groups by the time we hit Summit.

Official Time: 2:42:14 (Target was sub 2:40, 2015: 2:52:55, 2014: 3:29:13)

Max speed: 83.4

Avg HR: 142

Max HR: 163 (54 yrs)

Avg power: 244 (3.18)

Max power: 1245 (16.23)

NP: 303 (3.95)

20 minute power: 292 (3.81)

TSS : 326.9

IF: 1.1

Avg cadence: 86

Race day weight: 76.7

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My race report from yesterday’s pedal around Joburg.

03:45 – get up, even though I’ve been awake for what seems like ages. Empty bottles on the bike remind me that my bottles are still chilling the freezer.

04:12 – lift arrives, and we are soon on our way.

04:48 – arrive at the parking, finish getting dressed and then head down to the charity village to drop off the bag with a few things for the second lap (GoPro, recovery drink, presentation check for the NSPCA).

05:25 – time to head out to batch VC, feeling the chill in the air. Makes a change not starting in a pool of sweat.

05:42 – 2 minutes to the start and we’re still stuck in our original start batch. Eventually we’re allowed to roll forward to the start line.

05:44 – and off we go, Pooks hill warmup followed by some flats and hopefully some recovery before the race track. I started mid-pack and wasn’t too concerned at this point. We had to negotiate a few paracyclists on Pooks hill, but nothing worthy of concern.

05:52 – The right turn onto Summit road, had me fighting for position in bunch (max power = 1068W). Eventually got to the front 20-30 but was quickly moving backwards. Coming up to Main road (just before the descent to Kyalami) I knew today would be a hard day in the saddle – HR was okay, 3s average Power was 85% of FTP, but I just didn’t feel like I was properly warmed up.

06:11 – Right turn into Kyalami, and the leaders were already on the other size of the bridge passing under the race track. Group position lost, race over for me (were the first thoughts going through my mind). A few “attacks” to try stay on the back of the bunch, but once I saw the group had split in two going up to the old Wesbank corner, I knew it was survival mode from here to the finish.

Coming out Kyalami, I was in no-man’s land, too far back to catch group two on the road, and ahead of group 3. Eventually group 3 caught me and I was able to hang on until Woodmead. A solo ride on the highway until just after Marlboro drive when the next group came passed me. This would be the group I would ride with to Steyn City.

06:50 - 6:59 – I think this was the time, my phone starts ringing (or I could see the call on my Garmin). Members of the club looking for the charity village (seems the signage wasn’t that clear for them). By this time, I was climbing the M2 to Jan Smuts (roadworks), and I was feeling pretty good. No point trying to race away, as we still have a little more than halfway to go.

07:34 – Time and events seemed to fade away for the next part of the course, until we got to the first hot spot (before Douglasdale). The first rider from VD (Mark Spencer) was going it alone, and I was waiting for my team mates to give me a much needed push. It wasn’t until the Kya-Sands turnoff (on Malibongwe) that the rest of VD passed us, including one team mate only (perhaps the others were feeling like I did). No push from UnderAchiever, but at least some encouraging words from a few other riders.

Some of us managed to stay with the larger group up Malibongwe, but we soon split on the road down to Cedar, before negotiating the final climbs of the race. Not sure which was quieter, lap 1 or 2 going up Cedar road, but you could hear a pin drop.

08:09 – I was sitting on 2:25 when the infamous “6Km to go” board was showing, and my course file said I would finish in 2:33 – which I guess was a satisfactory time considering my position in the group. Not as bad as I thought it would be, but still not a race I’ll look back and say it was a good one. I eventually dragged myself over the line in 2:36:40 which is officially my second best time in 15 events, so it’s not all bad.

attachicon.gif947-summary.PNG

I don’t think my preparation coming into the race was ideal, with only 2 rides above 60Km since the Amashova, and a few other training rides during the few weeks between both events. It is what it is, and I wouldn’t change what I do – I’m not planning to fight for the podium, but rather to measure my own abilities against my peers. Another 3.5 weeks of easy riding, and then I can take a well-deserved break for 3 weeks, having only been off the bike for 3x 2 weeks since the last Cycle Challenge. Training for the Maluti Double 90 (1 April) can start in January, and perhaps I can use Gauteng Champs as a benchmark for my season opening fitness, or lend a hand to help (if I’m not feeling strong enough).

A quick chat with the team at the NSPCA tent, before I recovered for lap 2. Most of my club mates riding the second lap with me were in VF or A bunch, and they too had a tough time – but all round, everyone had a smile on their dial.

Well done to the organisers – it WAS a well organised event, despite a few minor problems. I know the work that goes into an event for 5000 people, but for 33000 (if that was the real total) it’s not as simple as multiplying the effort 6-7 times, it’s on a completely different level. Well done, see you next year!

A bit late but I see for most this could have been my feedback as well until the finish time, Would have liked to meet you seeing we actually spend 150 minutes on the road together.

Sorry i may have missed pother posts about this topic but why was there absolutely zero live tv coverage or otherwise of this event??

There was coverage online via streamit 360. But it was painful to watch. Connection kept on hanging. Audio non existent when they interview folk etc.

Really poor coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A bit late but I see for most this could have been my feedback as well until the finish time, Would have liked to meet you seeing we actually spend 150 minutes on the road together.

Are you on Strava? There are 8-12 others riding with me on the M1 that finished within a minute of each other.

If I look at the photos I could find so far, my facial expressions match my report quite well.

• Kyalami   :cursing:  wtf was I doing here?
  • Mandela Bridge  :D Okay, I'm warmed up now
  • Malibongwe  :unsure:  hang in there, not long to go (chasing the front bunch of VD)

Time to update your settings, or calibrate your power meter.

Yip, FTP test planned for later this week. Haven't done one in a while...... Did get notified of new threshold value after race and hoping to see a nice jump. Edited by ClydeB1

Yoh! There are some quick okes on the HUB. You guys are machines....

Quick question regarding A-batch, being a first time rider in this group and having been thoroughly schooled. (Main bunch dropped us before Kyalami). Is there any organisation at the front of A group? Or is it a case of guys busting lungs just to stay in the front.

As Ryan said sort of but nothing compared to the elite's or what you see on tv.

If there is a brake then the guys will get a pace line going and work together to bring it back. But most of the time the guys are just riding high tempo with the odd surge in strategic places in order to string out the bunch, make everyone work and make sure no one gets a free ride.

Classic example was Anton going to the far right of of he road and putting the hammer down as we turned on to Summit Road. This forced everyone to ride in the gutter as it got single file very quickly and there was no place to hide from the wind.

Edited by Spoke101

Are you on Strava? There are 8-12 others riding with me on the M1 that finished within a minute of each other.

If I look at the photos I could find so far, my facial expressions match my report quite well.

• Kyalami   :cursing:  wtf was I doing here?
  • Mandela Bridge  :D Okay, I'm warmed up now
  • Malibongwe  :unsure:  hang in there, not long to go (chasing the front bunch of VD)

Hi,

Yes I am on strava, I think Our times is one second different on strava, but the same on Racetec. My pictures more or less the same. Tried to smile on Mandela bridge but for the rest could not really.

Hi,

Yes I am on strava, I think Our times is one second different on strava, but the same on Racetec. My pictures more or less the same. Tried to smile on Mandela bridge but for the rest could not really.

I always think I'm smiling and then I look at the pictures and I just have a pained expression... need to work on this. 

As Ryan said sort of but nothing compared to the elite's or what you see on tv.

If there is a brake then the guys will get a pace line going and work together to bring it back. But most of the time the guys are just riding high tempo with the odd surge in strategic places in order to string out the bunch, make everyone work and make sure no one gets a free ride.

Classic example was Anton going to the far right of of he road and putting the hammer down as we turned on to Summit Road. This forced everyone to ride in the gutter as it got single file very quickly and there was no place to hide from the wind.

Is there any chance of getting a Hub A-team together? I would love to see what its like to work in an organised group.

Is there any chance of getting a Hub A-team together? I would love to see what its like to work in an organised group.

I'm in :clap: , not sure when the next feasible race is but I'll postpone my return to hanging on the back of the elites for a little while longer. :P

I'm in :clap: , not sure when the next feasible race is but I'll postpone my return to hanging on the back of the elites for a little while longer. :P

I'm also keen to give this a go