[Event] 947 Cycle Challenge 2016

SWAGG

This video is superb. I have not been  cycling for too many years and I must admit I am learning a lot from bikehub.

I have two not so clever questions:

1. What's the difference between Elite and VA, groups. Do they follow the normal seeding process to place riders on these groups or its on merit.

2. Why when for example VA catches up with Tandems the Commissar neutralises the race... what's wrong when these groups ride together?

In short.

Elite is the SA's Pro's Racing licensed riders aged 18-29 but can be older. (still need to qualify with your race seeding).

VA racing licensed riders aged 30-35 (still need to qualify with your race seeding).

VB racing licensed riders aged 35-40 (still need to qualify with your race seeding).

Etc, Some of the smaller races combine VA & VB into one VA batch.

The issue is that these are two different racing batches riding two separate races. You could write a book on how they could influence each others race outcomes thus the neutrality till they have passed one another. This is applied to all racing batches.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me know what you think.

Give ideas how I can edit it next time.

Cool video and impressive ride. Which of the guys went on to win it (what kit)? The guy in the black and white seemed to be going quite strong.

Since you asked for edit ideas, might be quite cool to mix in some of the actual audio from the ride (if there is any) to hear how you guys are talking to each other during the breakaway.

I just thought I would brag a little... This year was my 2nd 94.7 and last year I did it in 5hr13m from group NN which felt to me like 2 years and a week later I was still trying to recover.

This time around I did it in 3hr07m and although I was aiming for sub 3 , I don't think I can be too dissapointed in a 2hr6m quicker time starting from E.

Lesson I learned... Pee at the start line.. I had to stop on the highway to relieve myself, could not catch my group again and had to solo the rest of the race.

So since I can comfortably do 100km ride in around 3hrs ( I did sub emperors by 8 min ) what should I be aiming for in next years 94.7 ? 2hr45 maybe?

I just thought I would brag a little... This year was my 2nd 94.7 and last year I did it in 5hr13m from group NN which felt to me like 2 years and a week later I was still trying to recover.

This time around I did it in 3hr07m and although I was aiming for sub 3 , I don't think I can be too dissapointed in a 2hr6m quicker time starting from E.

Lesson I learned... Pee at the start line.. I had to stop on the highway to relieve myself, could not catch my group again and had to solo the rest of the race.

So since I can comfortably do 100km ride in around 3hrs ( I did sub emperors by 8 min ) what should I be aiming for in next years 94.7 ? 2hr45 maybe?

Learn to pee while riding.

Cool video and impressive ride. Which of the guys went on to win it (what kit)? The guy in the black and white seemed to be going quite strong.

Since you asked for edit ideas, might be quite cool to mix in some of the actual audio from the ride (if there is any) to hear how you guys are talking to each other during the breakaway.

The break was caught. The winner was Neil Timm. Think he wears Energas kit.

I would say that 2:45 will be achievable but just remember that the gains slow down once you get close to your max fitness levels.

Congratulations on your vastly improved time. Not that I am any type of expert on this, but I'd say your goal for next year is pretty much in your own hands. In theory, anything is possible, but it comes with a corresponding ramp-up in training. You need to weigh up how much and what type of training you can fit into your day. I know people who only have time for a few spinning sessions a week and a couple of long rides on the weekend. I also know people who are in the fortunate position that they can ride 4-5 hours every day of the week. Not surprisingly, the guys and girls who are able to train more and with consistency are the ones who do well and are usually able to improve their times from year to year. Although, as Veeez points out, its not a linear relationship. Once you get to a certain level of fitness, gains are harder to come by and less significant.

Awesome improvement. What did you do differently? Trained more/ harder/ differently? Lost weight? Please share.

Awesome improvement. What did you do differently? Trained more/ harder/ differently? Lost weight? Please share.

Do Mcsteel Carnival City 103km. I much harder race. I think a sub 3hr in this race will give you a really good test to see if you sub 3 material in the 94.7.

Do Mcsteel Carnival City 103km. I much harder race. I think a sub 3hr in this race will give you a really good test to see if you sub 3 material in the 94.7.

I did a 04:09 on the macsteel carnival city and two weeks later a 03:11 on 947. That race with the wind was a killer.

The CCMNC under the same weather conditions as the 947 will result in much faster times.

Winning tandems were 15 minutes slower than February's winning time.

A bunch was also about 15-20 minutes off their PB.

I did a 04:09 on the macsteel carnival city and two weeks later a 03:11 on 947. That race with the wind was a killer.lway

Macteel with out the wind, is not Macsteel :w00t:  For me, that race is ALWAYS hard...

I am sub 3 material. Did 94.7 last year in 2h48 and Carnival this year in 2h56. I didn't do 94.7 this year due to kidney stone issue 3 days prior to the race.

I'm curios to what Piet changed to get that massive improvement. I still want to improve my times since my dream goal is a sub 3 CTCT which I just missed last year due to a dropped chain.

Hopefully I can learn something from him.

Weight loss plays a big role, and then just getting fitter and stronger both physically and mentally.

We know it comes down to w/kg and some goodluck on the day.

I went from 6:10 in 2014 to 3:04 in 2016.

22kg weight loss between the 2 and just a lot more time on the bike. Have only recently started doing intervals, going to continue with this and my plan is to now build on my base with Letape coming up early next year.

The key will be to maintain/improve throughout the year without burning out.

lets wait for that mysterious BETA number to confirm which race was tougher...

Carnival on a good day will definitely be faster.