Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Hypothetically speaking, if one were to come across a large number of genuine, legal, 24 year old Yellowwood boards about 3m x 300mm x 22mm, what would one make with them? (Other than a table)

Serious question.

All I know is that a Philistine like me should not touch them with a saw :)

You could make anything you wanted. R 26 000.00 a cube is about the going rate for 28 mm boards. Excellent wood to work with.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A sideboard.... I already have the table.... and chairs.

A neat chest of drawers? it would hurt to cut those long boards into shorter bits, but I don't need another table. Not in a rush.

A neat chest of drawers? it would hurt to cut those long boards into shorter bits, but I don't need another table. Not in a rush.

Then swop them for shorter boards  :thumbup:

You will need to cut for the sides and front and drawer fronts - so 800mm + 1400mm top + 800mm gives you a 3m board fully used - it's not about cutting them for me - it's about minimising wastage.

My folks have a  chest of drawers about 1.4m tall - think 4 or 5 full width deep drawers - might be worth considering something like that - used for linen storage if memory serves.

Google images might help for ideas

You guys will probably crucify me if I tell you that I also have a Dewalt biscuit joiner. A few years ago a got myself a Christmas present and ordered an Adria Dovetail Saw from the US.  The saw never arrived in the mail, so the guy making them sent me another one, free of charge off course.

http://www.adriatools.com/tool_photos/support/adria/dovetail_and_tenon.jpg

Edited by Moridin

You guys will probably crucify me if I tell you that I also have a Dewalt biscuit joiner. A few years ago a got myself a Christmas present and ordered an Adria Dovetail Saw from the US.  The saw never arrived in the mail, so the guy making them sent me another one, free of charge off course.

http://www.adriatools.com/tool_photos/support/adria/dovetail_and_tenon.jpg

R2400 excl. shipping for that beauty.

R2400 excl. shipping for that beauty.

I bought mine when the ZAR was still around R6 to the US$.  At that time he wanted $115 for the saw.  And somewhere a PO worker also helped himself to one.  :cursing:

Hey Leturbo, would Hardware Center be the best place to buy a good quality cross-cut saw and tenon saw?

They'd probably be my first port of call. The guys at least know whereof they speak. You'll also find interesting options like the Japanese saws with pull rather than push action. Very clean cuts. 

Bit of an edit: I wouldn't touch Stanley with an uncut log, or a cut one either (Woodmized or Timberkinged).

That said, for the past 25 years I've used a cheapish plastic-handled Japanese-made western-style cross-cut saw that I got from a hardware store in Mafikeng. The steel is good, and that's what's important.

You can get any old saw with a decently hard, springy blade and get it sharpened. S A Bandsaw even collect, or there's a sharpening place in Epping near the market (forget its name though). Tell them the tpi you want, and they can do it.

My tenon saw is also some no-name brand, but it's good enough. I rather put my energy into sharpening my chisels, because that's the only way to get a perfect tenon. Again, nothing fancy - I tried diamond stones, but still use a cheap 80-year old India stone in preference.

Edited by LeTurbo

WoodMizer - the gold standard in portable saw mills, it has no equal.

Unless you have cut with a Timberking

Single canter-lever on the Woodmizer is a drawback

Four-post support for the power head is more stable and accurate during the cut.

Any one in the JHB area that has some decent quality logs that requires processing into board form, please PM me.

We are exhibiting our portable sawmills at Woodex 9-11 June (Gallagher Estate) and require some logs to demonstrate our Band and Circular breakdown saws

This will be done free of charge if you can get your logs to Gallagher before 8 June.

You can collect your boards on 12 June

Log diameter range should be 40cm - 100cm

Log length up to 4.5m

Kind of like this...?be9849ec65e0a74c895f533eae6f6cf4.jpg

You can't work in an art gallery like that man... that is gorgeous....

One day in the future when I am retired, I am planning to start my own thing and built these to order.  I have a soft spot for old world hand tools.

http://www.holteyplanes.com/images/A13_5485.jpg

Choke!

Cough!

Gasp!

Wheeze!