Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which dinghy design is this Dave? (dixdesign?)

Yeah - Dix Argie 10.  Sail, row, motor.  Mainly for me and my kids to muck about in.  Car topable.

Got the ply cnc'd by ckd boats in Cape Town - was a great time saver....

Yeah - Dix Argie 10.  Sail, row, motor.  Mainly for me and my kids to muck about in.  Car topable.

Got the ply cnc'd by ckd boats in Cape Town - was a great time saver....

I thought that looked familiar :thumbup:

yeah, it contrasts.... But HEATHEN!!! 

It doth assault mine eyes...

aaaaaanyway. Good joints on there. If you'd used meranti, or even some ply, IMO it would have been better from a visual perspective. It's just the stark contrast between the grains, and... PINE! Oak!? Really?!

Very good joints, actually. I just personally can't get my head around mixing oak (even though I don't really LIKE oak all that much) with PINE. Of all things... Jinne.

Yoh, jealousy can make you really nasty hey....

I must say that this must be one of the nicest feel good threads created...

It's an amazing talent to end up with pieces of art like the ones created by you guys...

Nice work hubbers.

I have made several items over the years but don't really have any pictures of any of them.

I will be sure to make a point of photographing my pieces going forward to share on this thread.

Thanks [emoji15] - it's 2.4m. Took a 5.4m x 380mm laminated pine beam, cut 2 pieces of 2.4, laminated them to make the top, then cut up the Offcuts to make the uprights. The remainder of the wood was offcuts, all in, the wood cost me about R700, finishing (stain, wax, etc.) about R400, handles, runners and screws about R500. So, R1600 for a piece that would be R7000+ to buy. Yes, my time is not factored in, but my wife would argue that it keeps me off the streets...

And let's be honest, the cost of the wood is not a real reflection of the real world either.

Cost up the wood as if it was a Hubber walking in and then see the real "value".

You familiar with Dudley Dix's boats?

Hi Dave, yes.

Lived on a Houtbay 50 with a Schooner Rig for 2 years (Lotto winnings will be spent on one immediately when I win)...sailed an Argie 10 before and just last week bought plans for the Argie 10 so my boys and I can do something together this winter.

Also sailed the Dix 43 and 43 Pilot (same boat just cosmetics) 

Edited by Ed-Zulu

I also have in my workshop an old Coronet Major woodworking machine, with all the attachments.

Does anybody know where I can get it restored to its former glory.

You should do it yourself - plenty of advice on refurbing machines and examples on garagejournal.com

Should not bee very difficult, just time consuming.

There is quite some talent posted here, good work boys! I went to buy a work bench & did not like the price, so decided to build my own. attachicon.gifDSC02773.jpg

Nice :thumbup: ...that's my next project