Good!

Looking at the:

STILETTO 15OZ TITANIUM TIBONE CLAW HAMMER TB15MC

$144 free shipping to MyUS in Florida

https://www.stiletto.com/p-28-tibone-tbii-15-milled-facestraight-18-ti-hdl.aspx

Weight: 2  Pounds / .9 Kg

Customs Code

No Duty as far as I can see

Will ship with Fedex Econo, will advise the shipping fees and the clearing will be split proportionally based on value of the shipmen (have a few things to consolidate)

I used to use Bongo (but that got bought out by Fedex then they closed it), but now back to  Myus.com  who offer consolidation, I have paid the premier fee for this service and its very reasonable, including shipping costs.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good!

Looking at the:

STILETTO 15OZ TITANIUM TIBONE CLAW HAMMER TB15MC

$144 free shipping to MyUS in Florida

https://www.stiletto.com/p-28-tibone-tbii-15-milled-facestraight-18-ti-hdl.aspx

Weight: 2  Pounds / .9 Kg

Customs Code

No Duty as far as I can see

Will ship with Fedex Econo, will advise the shipping fees and the clearing will be split proportionally based on value of the shipmen (have a few things to consolidate)

I used to use Bongo (but that got bought out by Fedex then they closed it), but now back to  Myus.com  who offer consolidation, I have paid the premier fee for this service and its very reasonable, including shipping costs.

buy once, cry once right? ;)

Our machine shop uses TESA measuring equipment. Their local agent is Micron but I am not sure whether they keep stock of squares. They are cheaper than Mitutoyo.

Do you need that accuracy for woodworking?

not lab level accuracy, but workshop level accuracy as per BS 939 or the equivalent DIN standard. So yes, repeatably accurate cuts, markings etc are very desirable.In what range do you think sanding and finish planing exists? Definitely sub millimeter, and visually, accuracy is the difference between an ok piece and an envious bit of craftsmanship. I ain't the latter by any measure, but i strive for it. In that regard, an accurate square is a damn good start.

Edited by Capricorn

I'm on a local Facebook group for Woodworkers, and some of the pieces that come out there are really great - well designed, well thought out, sometimes well executed, but a lot of time finish is not great. Saw an awesome Kiaat coffee table this morning, but the joints were all gapped and filled, you could see some serious planer snipe, even on the top itself. 

Guy can get R2000 for it as is, but if it was 100% up to scratch (with only 20% more work) could easily flog it for R5000 or R6000. Such is life ...

Was asked to make a dog bed on casters, so decided to make 2, as our daschunds have ripped theirs to pieces. Had some tongue and groove flooring rejects in the garage, so used that. The interesting part about this story is the finish. Tried the aging/weathering technique again, came out quite nice.

New Pine:

26ee11a96f20b1529e807bfef18d2dcc.jpg

"Aged", half Woodoc'ed, half still raw:

7fe15073520cbd6277b5f25e1b35fbe4.jpg

The bed:

99d5762d941ae16c59e89be7d07c6010.jpg

Wife will sort the bedding, and I must still put the casters on.

Quite a nice technique though!

not lab level accuracy, but workshop level accuracy as per BS 939 or the equivalent DIN standard. So yes, repeatably accurate cuts, markings etc are very desirable.In what range do you think sanding and finish planing exists? Definitely sub millimeter, and visually, accuracy is the difference between an ok piece and an envious bit of craftsmanship. I ain't the latter by any measure, but i strive for it. In that regard, an accurate square is a damn good start.

I have to agree. Even a 0.1 deg variation can be the difference between a good cut and something that wouldn't look out of place at a Mr Price shop soiled clearance house. 

I'm on a local Facebook group for Woodworkers, and some of the pieces that come out there are really great - well designed, well thought out, sometimes well executed, but a lot of time finish is not great. Saw an awesome Kiaat coffee table this morning, but the joints were all gapped and filled, you could see some serious planer snipe, even on the top itself. 

Guy can get R2000 for it as is, but if it was 100% up to scratch (with only 20% more work) could easily flog it for R5000 or R6000. Such is life ...

Attention to detail is severely lacking in South Africa with regards to craftsmanship. How many times have I had people working in my house, only to realise I would be able to do it better, if only I had the time. South African craftsmen need to visit Japan just once in their lives to see what the pursuit of perfection looks like.

Edited by Moridin

Mind posting a link? Or sending to me please? Thx

so I want to make a sleeper couch like this. any suggestions where I can get wood for the frame, roughly 10-15cm square and about 1m long? can we pine, meranti or other inexpensive wood

post-1946-0-03709300-1500295042_thumb.png

so I want to make a sleeper couch like this. any suggestions where I can get wood for the frame, roughly 10-15cm square and about 1m long? can we pine, meranti or other inexpensive wood

What about roofing lumber? Cheap, plentiful, strong. 

Thanks Myles. What wood it roofing lumber and do any of the main building supplier stock it?