Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

I've some ~50mm maple left over pieces that I've been planning to use to make 2 mallet (one "standard" size, and one shorter/smaller). 

Had this mind for them;

21230879_355219181557971_742679765127166

That is really great looking. I have some good wood lurking around for the face sections so will probably experiment with some pine first to see how it works out. Im keen to do a fully turned one too at some stage, cant ever have too many mallets!

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just bought a very neglected Eastwing axe that I want restore .The challenge pertains to the handle that consists of leather discs arranged like sosaties on the metal part of the handle. Seems to be covered/drenched in black oil. Any suggestions on how to " handle " the problem?

I just bought a very neglected Eastwing axe that I want restore .The challenge pertains to the handle that consists of leather discs arranged like sosaties on the metal part of the handle. Seems to be covered/drenched in black oil. Any suggestions on how to " handle " the problem?

Strip it down to metal and then re-do the leather. It sounds like you have a fun resto project on the go there.

I like this vid from Pask, it should give you a good idea on how to go about the resto and making the new handle.

Strip it down to metal and then re-do the leather. It sounds like you have a fun resto project on the go there.

I like this vid from Pask, it should give you a good idea on how to go about the resto and making the new handle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xh-rDs7st0

R-B, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Seems quite rewarding....hope it is as " easy " as it looks.

R-B, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Seems quite rewarding....hope it is as " easy " as it looks.

Im not going to lie it took a bit of digging to find that vid, watched it quite a while ago and had to try find it again. 

I like Pask, he does stuff using normal tools and always makes a plan when he doesnt have the tool. Just do a few tests on something else and you should get the hang on it.

NO!!!!! My uncle decided that my grandfather's hammer that looked like this without the handle was not worth it and chucked it out.

If only I knew what I know now. 

NO!!!!! My uncle decided that my grandfather's hammer that looked like this without the handle was not worth it and chucked it out.

If only I knew what I know now.

Best hammers! My dad have picked up a few mint ones at 2nd hand shops for next to nothing. Over the years he probably lost 3 due to bakkie builders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best hammers! My dad have picked up a few mint ones at 2nd hand shops for next to nothing. Over the years he probably lost 3 due to bakkie builders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is probably how the hammers landed-up in the 2nd hand shops in the first place......not judging....I am also always on the lookout for QUALITY unappreciated tools to go to a good home.

Lekker - picked up 5 new postform tops for the new workbenches in the new place @R570 ea, delivered ... but ***, as the one friggin lawyer used two different dates on his submission to the deeds office ... transfer rejected and has been resubmitted.

Anyone here with contacts at the deeds office to get this **** DONE already? The old owner refuses to move out until registration is complete, so I have to hang bal until then. FFS.

Not even close to the average level of workmanship but here's what I got up to over the weekend. A new outside table.

Some assembly required:

post-19039-0-80329600-1513660962_thumb.jpeg

Need to stay hydrated:

post-19039-0-44090200-1513660974_thumb.jpeg

Slowly things are taking shape:

post-19039-0-49687200-1513661059_thumb.jpeg

Mock setup of the table top:

post-19039-0-07566500-1513661068_thumb.jpeg

After sanding and initial linseed oil coat:

post-19039-0-94024700-1513661078_thumb.jpeg

Next up is a second linseed oil coat on the table top, and the benches needs to be built.