• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have a contact that can get me the following wood in joburg:

Requirements:

-must be a Heavy

-35mm to 50mm thick

-250mm to 300mm wide

-can cut it to lenght for me (about 450/500mm in length x4)

Please :)

What do you classify as heavy? Off the shelf I can probably assist with Meranti, may have some Oak in the required size, have Iroko in stock but not sure of the width. Will check in the am.

Don't have too many pics of my fabrication efforts, which I am doing more and more for clients: I work many mediums,  and any excuse to get new tools. So apologies for the thread jack but I think this bad boy is worth a mention.

Edited by kosmonooit

I have been eyeing that Bosch's predecessor for many years now.  Price is probably not R7k anymore, which is what it was when I last looked at it.

Edited by Moridin

I have been eyeing that Bosch's predecessor for many years now.  Price is probably not R7k anymore, which is what it was when I last looked at it.

About R9 800 at Fowkes Brothers in Paarden Eiland. Beautiful saw, smooth as a Colnago.

About R9 800 at Fowkes Brothers in Paarden Eiland. Beautiful saw, smooth as a Colnago.

Suddenly even I am getting excited about a saw!

Some three way joints I played with. The first, in ash, is pretty much my own design - at least, I haven't seen it anywhere else.

The second, in stinkwood,  and third are (a mock-up in pine) are variations on a bridle joint. 

They went into these tables on which I make a handsome profit of R2500 retail price = 50% maker's price - R300 glass - 2 day's labour - workshop rental - materials = about R0.00. 

I'm feeling resentful and disillusioned and pissed off tonight. Grrrrr. At least I'm not in the business anymore.

post-14151-0-81059700-1465237482_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-47483400-1465237515_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-74427900-1465237591_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-46377600-1465237648_thumb.jpg

So you could get 20 of them for the price of the latest Cannondale Scalpel ...plus some change. Doesn't quite add up in terms of material value does it.

Yup, you could outfit a nice woodshop for what the new Scalpel is going for.  And the best part, if you invest wisely in your tools, they would be worth double or triple in 10 year's time with the decline of the ZAR.  The Scalpel, well, will be yesterday's plastic and wheels that nobody wants anymore.

Why the hell am I cycling?!!!  :devil:   It's a bloody money pit.  :whistling:

Some three way joints I played with. The first, in ash, is pretty much my own design - at least, I haven't seen it anywhere else.

The second, in stinkwood,  and third are (a mock-up in pine) are variations on a bridle joint. 

They went into these tables on which I make a handsome profit of R2500 retail price = 50% maker's price - R300 glass - 2 day's labour - workshop rental - materials = about R0.00. 

I'm feeling resentful and disillusioned and pissed off tonight. Grrrrr. At least I'm not in the business anymore.

Beautiful joints, Turbo...

Does anyone have a contact that can get me the following wood in joburg:

Requirements:

-must be a Heavy

-35mm to 50mm thick

-250mm to 300mm wide

-can cut it to lenght for me (about 450/500mm in length x4)

Please :)  

Maple Street Timbers in Pomona Kempton Park can help. 011 979 4459

Look what I found on Gumtree - both for R400.

Falcon 5 and a Stanley #6 - been wanting the Stanley for years.

Picture as they were advertised but will post another pic when they have had some TLC. Both are like the Trance of planes.attachicon.gif$_20.JPG

While you are at it...

I am looking for a front tote screw for my Record #8 that I also picked up neglected and rusty. Was also used as a hammer by the previous idiot owner.  This is the one part that seems to be missing on some of the planes I rescued.

I also picked up 2 Stanley #6 planes, 2 Stanley #3s, 1 Stanley #4, 1 Stanley #41/2, 1 Stanley #5 and 1 Stanley #7.  Most of them now restored.  Currently working on the #41/2 and #3.

BTW, old tool collecting is an addiction, once you start.

Edited by Moridin

Try Boltfast in Epping they have all sorts of strange thread types available.

That bolt has an odd thread - will scratch around in my odd bolt bin too.

Have you made your own rear handles at all - some of my standard handles are quite uncomfortable. I have a fairly wide hand.

I am now looking for a Stanley #8 and 41/2

Also looking for a nice BLOCK PLANE urgently.

When I'm 65 I'm going to build my own smoothing plane.