Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

b6b8e11dc0068e7a46f373b0523c7199.jpg

Just noticed that sneaky bottle of glue behind mr Makita. For the price its awesome stuff, I have yet to have any issues with it for normal gluing operations. Gelmar in general has some pretty good prices.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just noticed that sneaky bottle of glue behind mr Makita. For the price its awesome stuff, I have yet to have any issues with it for normal gluing operations. Gelmar in general has some pretty good prices.

Ja, there’s always nice surprises at Gelmar, good value for money.

We were recently approached to sell glue from a local producer. Will be branding it with our company name, 3 variations, normal wood glue, a quick setting one that the kitchen cabinet guys like, and a waterproof one. Cost is a third of our usual (well known) supplier. The tests so far show that it’s a really good product. Using the waterproof one for the lamination experiment I’m busy with.

Oh, and Mr Makita isn’t mine... [emoji22] Pic was taken in the workshop of the guy who made the boxes for me, he’s a client, the father of 2 hubbers, and makes fantastic Kiaat fishing tackle boxes...

Ja, there’s always nice surprises at Gelmar, good value for money.

We were recently approached to sell glue from a local producer. Will be branding it with our company name, 3 variations, normal wood glue, a quick setting one that the kitchen cabinet guys like, and a waterproof one. Cost is a third of our usual (well known) supplier. The tests so far show that it’s a really good product. Using the waterproof one for the lamination experiment I’m busy with.

Apparently a few of the glues we get here are just rebranded versions used elsewhere. Alconin ultimate is apparently just titebond3, even the product descriptions are identical.

Im going to try some of the quick setting stuff when I do my next segmented project for some rub joints.

That guy who is using that glue, usually uses Titebond 3 but for the price he reckons the Gelmar product is right up there... 

Hi

Got some vintage woodworking stuff I am not using.

Not sure if anyone's interested in making an offer!

Brace & numerous bits

2 hand planers, looks like 1 medium and 1 palm size.

Drop me a PM if interested.  

post-7930-0-88218100-1526558310_thumb.jpg

Hi

Got some vintage woodworking stuff I am not using.

Not sure if anyone's interested in making an offer!

Brace & numerous bits

2 hand planers, looks like 1 medium and 1 palm size.

Drop me a PM if interested.  

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not going to tell you what this project is.......not until right at the end!

And I'll HAVE to show you the beginning, just to prove that is WAS a woodwork project, because when all is done, there is no wood to be seen anywhere!

You start with plywood, and make a box, the dimensions are critical, and it must be sturdy as hell.

post-17716-0-03705900-1527417417_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-49882500-1527417556_thumb.jpg

Then you cut it open so you have a box with a lid and you cover the 2 parts with leather, hiding all your earlier work. It's a bit of a tricky business with all the glue sniffing that is involved....... 

post-17716-0-31035100-1527418632_thumb.jpg

OK, so, you figured out that it is not a briefcase! 

When it looks like this, it is tempting to think it is all done, but nope, you are only about halfway, because you only completed the skin.......

B.t.w. about polishing leather, it is only done when you have a bad case of tennis elbow!

post-17716-0-87537700-1527419096_thumb.jpg

Then you start making the insides, basically another box that fits into the first one, snugly, and that one has some precision partitions, and everything gets covered with felt before you assemble it. Did I tell you how much fun sniffing glue is? This is also the last you'll see of your woodwork............

post-17716-0-47105100-1527419545_thumb.jpg

........because when you slide box no.2 into box no. 1 (yay, it fits!) and you slip the little 20 gauge into its place (yay it fits!) your woodwork project has disappeared for a lifetime or more of protecting its valuable cargo!

post-17716-0-08444500-1527419774_thumb.jpg

........because when you slide box no.2 into box no. 1 (yay, it fits!) and you slip the little 20 gauge into its place (yay it fits!) your woodwork project has disappeared for a lifetime or more of protecting its valuable cargo!

Really nice, great work. 

Beautiful work, one of those pieces that becomes a family heirloom!