Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

So do I boil the linseed or do you buy it that way?

The box will be in our lounge so don't want anything too offensive smell wise.

Linseed oil is sold either as "boiled linseed oil" or just "raw linseed oil/linseed oil"

Edit:

Raw Linseed Oil helps wood retain its natural moisture content which retards cracking, checking, shrinking, and aids water repellency. Boiled Linseed Oil contains driers to speed film drying and hardness. Linseed oil without this additive can take over a week to dry.

Edited by Ed-Zulu

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So do I boil the linseed or do you buy it that way?

The box will be in our lounge so don't want anything too offensive smell wise.

Sorry man that was my bad, I forgot to put the link in that has the explanation video.

Seeing as how its bees wax it smells quite nice, definitely no offensive smell anywhere.

Linseed oil is sold either as "boiled linseed oil" or just "raw linseed oil/linseed oil"

Edit:

Raw Linseed Oil helps wood retain its natural moisture content which retards cracking, checking, shrinking, and aids water repellency. Boiled Linseed Oil contains driers to speed film drying and hardness. Linseed oil without this additive can take over a week to dry.

With regards to the linseed oil, its exactly like Ed says, boiled being the most common because it has solvents to aid drying. The smell isnt super strong and fades fairly quickly.

Just a word of warning, dont bunch up the paper towels/rags you use to apply it because they can catch fire in the bin, rather lay them out somewhere to dry first before throwing them away. 

I ordered a Japanese Dozuki saw in May from Amazon Japan, which never arrived and claimed my refund.

Then I received a pick up slip this morning and this arrived...

1f10c69a495a44a1815fc58db5fb2511.jpg

See date sent

16294fed0f066938ab41f73056f1cd54.jpg

I ordered a Japanese Dozuki saw in May from Amazon Japan, which never arrived and claimed my refund.

See date sent

Guess you have to reverse that refund now :P

See date sent

how come from Amazon and not one of a few local suppliers? no stock at the time of desire?

great saw. super fine kerf.

how come from Amazon and not one of a few local suppliers? no stock at the time of desire?

Price on Amazon was R200 less than the local guys, but I neglected to notice that Amazon itself is the supplier/delivery agent. I bought a glue bottle and some other smalls which arrived in 6 days a week earlier.

Initially it was to arrive 20 June, but we all know how that worked out.

I have two projects lined up where I will need it, so look forward to use it, one is on plywood where I think it will be super useful.

Who sells these, or something similar, in the JHB/PTA area?

See date sent

I had the same thing happen earlier this year, goods arrived 9 months later, also randomly. Parcel had been opened but was all there and intact.

I had also processed a refund.

Thing is the guy had been tentative and I talked him into sending to good ole RSA which he refused to do because of these issues. He no longer sends here. They get rated badly and it costs them money on transactions as ebay penalizes them.

I had the same thing happen earlier this year, goods arrived 9 months later, also randomly. Parcel had been opened but was all there and intact.

I had also processed a refund.

Thing is the guy had been tentative and I talked him into sending to good ole RSA which he refused to do because of these issues. He no longer sends here. They get rated badly and it costs them money on transactions as ebay penalizes them.

I realised early on the seller was not at fault, so still rated them top for service etc.

They'll get paid probably by tomorrow if they respond

• 2 weeks later...

So I am looking at starting the ring box mentioned sometime soon but I also need to get myself sorted to be able to do it properly.

A little while ago, after watching 101 Youtube videos, I managed to mount my circular saw to my work station to create a table saw. It works really well, coupled with a straight edge I clamp as a fence I can get some proper straight and square cuts. My next step will be to make a crosscut sled so I can cut square cuts from non-square pieces of wood as with the fence it needs at least one proper 90degree edge.

I also added my trim router to the station so I now have a proper bench mounted router, again with the fence it works really well. I did a scrap piece of wood, free-hand without a fence, usinf the cove and round over bits and it came out really nicely.

So I will tackle the sled and also add a jigsaw to the work station so I have a "bandsaw" and I should be good to go.

Pictures of the work, please excuse the mess.......

post-35569-0-31357700-1541761296_thumb.jpg

post-35569-0-65161200-1541761308_thumb.jpg

post-35569-0-80762500-1541761317_thumb.jpg

post-35569-0-75365600-1541761342_thumb.jpg

post-35569-0-35930600-1541761363_thumb.jpg

post-35569-0-87241000-1541761381_thumb.jpg

post-35569-0-69552600-1541761395_thumb.jpg

So I am looking at starting the ring box mentioned sometime soon but I also need to get myself sorted to be able to do it properly.

A little while ago, after watching 101 Youtube videos, I managed to mount my circular saw to my work station to create a table saw. It works really well, coupled with a straight edge I clamp as a fence I can get some proper straight and square cuts. My next step will be to make a crosscut sled so I can cut square cuts from non-square pieces of wood as with the fence it needs at least one proper 90degree edge.

I also added my trim router to the station so I now have a proper bench mounted router, again with the fence it works really well. I did a scrap piece of wood, free-hand without a fence, usinf the cove and round over bits and it came out really nicely.

So I will tackle the sled and also add a jigsaw to the work station so I have a "bandsaw" and I should be good to go.

Pictures of the work, please excuse the mess.......

attachicon.gif8.jpg

attachicon.gif7.jpg

attachicon.gif6.jpg

attachicon.gif4.jpg

attachicon.gif2.jpg

attachicon.gif1.jpg

attachicon.gif3.jpg

Very nice, I still need to get a trim router. The big router is a bit too big for some tasks but there is such a limited selection of trim routers in SA.

Very nice, I still need to get a trim router. The big router is a bit too big for some tasks but there is such a limited selection of trim routers in SA.

Very impressed with this Makita trim router, was very reasonably priced too. Bought it earlier this year at Chamberlains.

Comes with a few attachments to use it free hand on wooden pieces like benchtops, etc