Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

So I finally managed to read through all 274 pages of this thread. There is some seriously impressive work out there that puts everything I ever built or wanted to build to shame.

Anyway, some background on myself. I have taught myself to do everything I know about woodworking by using books and youtube. I only have very basic tools (restricted budget; circular saw, jig saw, drill, router, orbital sander, a few chisels and a basic workbench with a small vice and a small assortment of clamps) and as a result, I normally would work with either ply or milled pine. I want to start doing some more hand tool work.

I have decided that I want to get two hand planes, a number 4 and a 6 or 7. I want to restore two old planes myself, where can I look to get planes at a reasonable price, as mentioned budget is quite limited and I don't mind fixing something to use it.

Gumtree etc, car boot sales markets and those sorts of places to buy..

Look at this site for restoration/buying advice. http://www.hansbrunnertools.com/Stanley%20by%20numbers/Stanley%20History.htm

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

might be a good place to ask.

As part of some renovations I'm having done I'm getting my braai area changed up slightly.

this will require a few new pieces of counter top.

i have access to some granite that I will be using for these counter tops.

Cutting these to size is not that difficult, I've done it before.

However, rounding and polishing the edges is something I've not done.

I've seen bullnosing wheels and polishing discs but dont want to go spending a fortune on tools.

Simply rounding off the sharp edges from cutting and polishing up the cut edge is all I really need to do.

Anyone done something similar and can point me in the right direction with regards to dos and donts.

Craft markets are a good place to look...second hand shops or try faceboook market place...search stanley hand planes...there are plenty of them.

I have a few which i am going to add to market place...i have a pile of power tools and stuff advertised at the moment.

Makita planer 

bosch go 3.6 v 

10- 100 nm torque wrench 

jigsaw 4350 FCT 720 w 

bosch 10.8 v drill 

gx 120 hilti gas gun

to mention a few...i keep adding as i am cleaning out my store room.

I am also clearing out electrical testers i dont use anymore...loop impendance testers ...insulation resistance testers ...and even a power quality analyser.

Where are you advertising?

Keen to see what you have & asking prices.

Craft markets are a good place to look...second hand shops or try faceboook market place...search stanley hand planes...there are plenty of them.

I have a few which i am going to add to market place...i have a pile of power tools and stuff advertised at the moment.

Makita planer 

bosch go 3.6 v 

10- 100 nm torque wrench 

jigsaw 4350 FCT 720 w 

bosch 10.8 v drill 

gx 120 hilti gas gun

to mention a few...i keep adding as i am cleaning out my store room.

I am also clearing out electrical testers i dont use anymore...loop impendance testers ...insulation resistance testers ...and even a power quality analyser.

Would also like to see what you are selling them for.

Thanks everyone, will have a look on there. Are there anything specific I should look out for, or rather avoid when looking at buying one to restore?

been loading stuff on facebook market place...stuff is selling faster than i can keep up...only problem is you have to learn to read the time wasters and keep deleting their "is this still available" quick replies......it took 2 days to clear out 50 % of the stuff i listed.

I find the people who  spend 5 seconds or  longer actually responding in a more detailed  manner are worth responding to...and generally buy the product...i also just delete the "will you accepted R200 for a R5000 item" 

I have been selling rod racks for many years...sold a few but not like after i posted an ad on facebook market place ...i couldnt manufacture the racks fast enough to keep up with the demand.,,saturated market place so now the sales  have eased and still get the odd sale ...need to figue out another place to promote the product or as someone mentioned buy coupons which will boost the views.

it certainly has been a leaning experience...now i just need to figue out how t boost sales of other products i manufacture. 

Thanks everyone, will have a look on there. Are there anything specific I should look out for, or rather avoid when looking at buying one to restore?

Start off with a No 4 or 5. There's really no need to own every plane size. A #7 is a jointer plane. If you're not edge joining long boards or flattening big table tops it's really redundant. 

Look for pre-WW2 Stanley USA planes. They're the actual collectors items. Otherwise the Record planes are better than the later (>40's)  Stanley US and England planes.

Also, don't spend too much on an old plane, including your labour to restore it. Time spent restoring old tools is time that could be spent on building something, and learning from it. But restore at least one plane - it'll help you to learn more about the tool and to get the most out of it.

Hand tools are pretty useless if they're not sharp, so factor in a decent stone as well, like those 1000/6000 ceramic stones.

Start off with a No 4 or 5. There's really no need to own every plane size. A #7 is a jointer plane. If you're not edge joining long boards or flattening big table tops it's really redundant. 

Look for pre-WW2 Stanley USA planes. They're the actual collectors items. Otherwise the Record planes are better than the later (>40's)  Stanley US and England planes.

Also, don't spend too much on an old plane, including your labour to restore it. Time spent restoring old tools is time that could be spent on building something, and learning from it. But restore at least one plane - it'll help you to learn more about the tool and to get the most out of it.

Hand tools are pretty useless if they're not sharp, so factor in a decent stone as well, like those 1000/6000 ceramic stones.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

The reason why I want a #4 and something like a #7 is for flat table tops and for general jointing work and the #4 for more general smoothing. I read that the smaller planes tend to ride the "mountains" and "valleys" when jointing. I don't mind restoring, I enjoy the work that goes into it. 

Also I have a stone I use for sharpening chisels that was handed down to me by my father and he got it from his father. The rest of the tools seem to have disapeared over the years. 

Andreas I would go for a #4 and #5 plane. The #6 is very heavy and a bugger to use.

A #4 1/2 is nice.

I have bought planes at markets and at Cash Crusaders just watch the price about R250 max for a 4 and no more than R300 for a 5. Make sure all the parts are there and the blade still has some meat on it. Avoid pitted and scoured foot. Rust can easily be removed with electrolysis at home with a car battery charger.

Andreas I would go for a #4 and #5 plane. The #6 is very heavy and a bugger to use.

A #4 1/2 is nice.

I have bought planes at markets and at Cash Crusaders just watch the price about R250 max for a 4 and no more than R300 for a 5. Make sure all the parts are there and the blade still has some meat on it. Avoid pitted and scoured foot. Rust can easily be removed with electrolysis at home with a car battery charger.

Thanks for the info and guideline on purchase price Porqui.

I take it the converted are familiar with Toolcraft.

Excellent service and stock BUT do not speak to them on the 'phone - it will cost you.

So I finally managed to read through all 274 pages of this thread. There is some seriously impressive work out there that puts everything I ever built or wanted to build to shame.

Anyway, some background on myself. I have taught myself to do everything I know about woodworking by using books and youtube. I only have very basic tools (restricted budget; circular saw, jig saw, drill, router, orbital sander, a few chisels and a basic workbench with a small vice and a small assortment of clamps) and as a result, I normally would work with either ply or milled pine. I want to start doing some more hand tool work.

I have decided that I want to get two hand planes, a number 4 and a 6 or 7. I want to restore two old planes myself, where can I look to get planes at a reasonable price, as mentioned budget is quite limited and I don't mind fixing something to use it.

I know a guy who might have a few waiting in the restore pile...

Watch out it gets pretty addictive restoring them though(I should know!)

Are you sure 4 and 6 are the sizes you would want?

I dont use my no4 much, generally my LA block, no5 and no6 get used with the block and no5 seeing the most action of the lot.

Im pretty sure I can sort you out in any of those sizes though for a very reasonable price.

might be a good place to ask.

As part of some renovations I'm having done I'm getting my braai area changed up slightly.

this will require a few new pieces of counter top.

i have access to some granite that I will be using for these counter tops.

Cutting these to size is not that difficult, I've done it before.

However, rounding and polishing the edges is something I've not done.

I've seen bullnosing wheels and polishing discs but dont want to go spending a fortune on tools.

Simply rounding off the sharp edges from cutting and polishing up the cut edge is all I really need to do.

Anyone done something similar and can point me in the right direction with regards to dos and donts.

You can get fairly inexpensive diamond discs at pretty much all hardware stores that do a great job on those surfaces. You need to get it up to a polished surface again so a kit with the different grits helps. Otherwise you can go the sandpaper route on an orbital but its going to take a long time and you need to keep the surface wet. A spray bottle does a good job of that.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

The reason why I want a #4 and something like a #7 is for flat table tops and for general jointing work and the #4 for more general smoothing. I read that the smaller planes tend to ride the "mountains" and "valleys" when jointing. I don't mind restoring, I enjoy the work that goes into it. 

Restoring hand planes is a labor of love, you get something very special with a lot of history behind it in the end.

Both Carrera and I have restored planes we got from our grandfathers and there is something very special about using a tool that you know was used by family.

With regards to sharpening I would recommend starting with sandpaper in various grits on a piece of glass or an offcut from a marble/granite counter top - you can generally get them for free from places that install those tops, there are always cut outs for sinks etc.

Just stick down sandpaper and go through the grits, it will be properly sharp.

Get a honing guide though to get the correct blade angles, BPM toolcraft are in your general area and have some nice cheap ones.

I know a guy who might have a few waiting in the restore pile...

Watch out it gets pretty addictive restoring them though(I should know!)

Are you sure 4 and 6 are the sizes you would want?

I dont use my no4 much, generally my LA block, no5 and no6 get used with the block and no5 seeing the most action of the lot.

Im pretty sure I can sort you out in any of those sizes though for a very reasonable price.

I sort of just assumed that these sizes would be a good place to start off with. I like the idea of a bigger plane for jointing work and then a smaller one for more general smoothing work. 

Sent you a pm.