Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

If I may, what about making them yourself? It's super easy, and will be quite a bit cheaper than buying pre-made / flat-pack stuff. 

Hey Myles, thing is it only saves a few R100 and with 3 kids I just don't have the time for it.

I would love to though.

What I am doing is getting 2 three quarter bunks and then building a step/packing drawers thingie mabob. so kinda self built. I can also do the under bed storage, see pic attached.......

post-35569-0-20406300-1559021653.jpg

Also quite like this:

post-35569-0-87032500-1559021664_thumb.jpg

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A bunk bed is simple to make..

post-12682-0-26024600-1559022065_thumb.jpg

this is something we are currently making at work for one of the directors.

made out of 144x22 pine planks and 144x44 pine planks for the legs

the mattress support is 18mm shutterply with a 32mm melamine board for the desk.

Edited by The New Me

Hi Guys

I need some help.. I need a tool and don't have access to be able to accurately cut at and angle.

post-12682-0-81308200-1559111821.jpg

post-12682-0-09116400-1559111830.jpg

it needs to fit a small fine flat file

Can anybody help me out..

Edited by The New Me

Hi Guys

I need some help.. I need a tool and don't have access to be able to accurately cut at and angle.

attachicon.gifguitar fret end file demo.jpg

attachicon.gifguitar fret end file sizes.jpg

Table saw will be the easiest.

But hand tools will work just as well. A hand saw, a steady hand, and cut to size. Then finesse to final dimension/accuracy with a hand plane and/or sanding block (glue some sanding paper to a flat surface like a granite top).

Is that slot for sanding paper, so about 3mm?

Its for a small Flat Fine File, sandpaper would just get ripped on the frets ends unfortunately

and don't have access to something like a table-saw to cut the groove properly.. hence my request for help.

Its for a small Flat Fine File, sandpaper would just get ripped on the frets ends unfortunately

and don't have access to something like a table-saw to cut the groove properly.. hence my request for help.

I can easily do that, but the slot width is important to know for the file to bed properly? please measure the file width and I can do one for you

I can easily do that, but the slot width is important to know for the file to bed properly? please measure the file width and I can do one for you

PM sent

Came across this YT channel, amazing work

Been watching Matt for a few years now. He has some really cool vids on stuff he slabs up on his home made sawmill too. Always nice seeing what is inside a log when the cuts start.

Hi Guys

attachicon.gifguitar fret end file demo.jpg

attachicon.gifguitar fret end file sizes.jpg

it needs to fit a small fine flat file

Is that to hold a dressing file to angle the fret ends?

If its for fret leveling then you need a much longer setup. 

Crimson custom guitars on youtube has some great vids on that.

Is that to hold a dressing file to angle the fret ends?

If its for fret leveling then you need a much longer setup. 

Crimson custom guitars on youtube has some great vids on that.

Correct, I'm gearing up to do a full fret re-fret, and this is the last tool I need

I have lost Hours to crimson and have 1 or 2 of his products,

for fret leveling a leveling beam and #400 sandpaper and a light touch is more than enough.

Correct, I'm gearing up to do a full fret re-fret, and this is the last tool I need

I have lost Hours to crimson and have 1 or 2 of his products,

for fret leveling a leveling beam and #400 sandpaper and a light touch is more than enough.

I like Ben, when you first see him you dont expect him to be the type of guy he is.

He has some real skills too.

So I finally managed to read through all 274 pages of this thread. There is some seriously impressive work out there that puts everything I ever built or wanted to build to shame.

Anyway, some background on myself. I have taught myself to do everything I know about woodworking by using books and youtube. I only have very basic tools (restricted budget; circular saw, jig saw, drill, router, orbital sander, a few chisels and a basic workbench with a small vice and a small assortment of clamps) and as a result, I normally would work with either ply or milled pine. I want to start doing some more hand tool work.

I have decided that I want to get two hand planes, a number 4 and a 6 or 7. I want to restore two old planes myself, where can I look to get planes at a reasonable price, as mentioned budget is quite limited and I don't mind fixing something to use it.

Craft markets are a good place to look...second hand shops or try faceboook market place...search stanley hand planes...there are plenty of them.

I have a few which i am going to add to market place...i have a pile of power tools and stuff advertised at the moment.

Makita planer 

bosch go 3.6 v 

10- 100 nm torque wrench 

jigsaw 4350 FCT 720 w 

bosch 10.8 v drill 

gx 120 hilti gas gun

to mention a few...i keep adding as i am cleaning out my store room.

I am also clearing out electrical testers i dont use anymore...loop impendance testers ...insulation resistance testers ...and even a power quality analyser.

So I finally managed to read through all 274 pages of this thread. There is some seriously impressive work out there that puts everything I ever built or wanted to build to shame.

Anyway, some background on myself. I have taught myself to do everything I know about woodworking by using books and youtube. I only have very basic tools (restricted budget; circular saw, jig saw, drill, router, orbital sander, a few chisels and a basic workbench with a small vice and a small assortment of clamps) and as a result, I normally would work with either ply or milled pine. I want to start doing some more hand tool work.

I have decided that I want to get two hand planes, a number 4 and a 6 or 7. I want to restore two old planes myself, where can I look to get planes at a reasonable price, as mentioned budget is quite limited and I don't mind fixing something to use it.

Hi Andreas, welcome!

Keep you eyes peeled on Gumtree, OLX and so on.  I recently bought 5 planes for R 1000.  (4,4,5,5,7).  I will be restoring and selling the No 7 since I already have one from my grandpa (but I will be selling it for c R 1 500).  

I would also recommend a No 5 - very versatile plane!

Hi guys,

I need to buy bunk beds. Anybody have any leads in JHB, I found bunkbedsonline.co.za but curious if there are any other.

Just basic pine, kids will paint it as a fun project for themselves.

Have a look at Ericssons.

https://www.ericssonsmattress.co.za/