Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Another Lockdown pen. This time a Slimline Gunmetal Twist with African Blackwood. Need to work on my finishing game though. After machining I am using 120 Emory paper to start and 600-2000 waterpaper to finish (I do sand against the rotation between grits). Only saw the fine sanding rings when I took the pictures (Old eyes and garage glasses...). I need to invest in some mesh from Mr Woodturner...

Finished size is 8,5mm so the wood is only about 0.75mm thick if you account for the 7mm tube! This was more of an experiment to see if you could go that thin. Again, I don't like the inflated fat pens.

Sorry for boring you with my little pen projects. Not nearly as exciting as some of the proper build projects, but I really am enjoying making these.

I have a resin blank ready for my next one. A Birthday present for my sister.

Well done Grebel!

For wood, I normally sand with the lathe on only until about 150 grit (but I normally finish with a scraper that gives a good finish, so I normally start at 150 grit as well) .  Thereafter I sand with the grain to about 240, then clean it with acetone and then do the CA finish - but as Bocket Boy said - only for the brave - get some blank tubes and practise on some cheap wood first !

If you don't do the CA, just continue sanding with the grain with the lathe off.  Clean the blank with a cloth between grits and inspect it under a strong light.  Then finish as you wish.  I never did a raw wood finish, but any HARD hardwood should hold up quite well.

Good luck on that acrylic - I only managed to get my blanks scratch free once I started using the sponge backed micromesh and doing wet sanding at around 600 rpm (I do this for both "wood + CA" and acrylics).  I got some Autosol metal polish compound (at MIDAS), but actually don't use it.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been spending quite some time on youtube watching folks make all sorts of stuff related to wood working. The last time I made anything using wood was in school during Houtwerk back in 1992. I am thinking of venturing in starting up a wood hobby. Where to start? What tools etc. would you fella's recommend?

I am thinking a lathe sounds like a good place to start. My dad had one when I was still young and into surfing and girls, not hobbies. He does not have it anymore, else I would get that one.

I have been spending quite some time on youtube watching folks make all sorts of stuff related to wood working. The last time I made anything using wood was in school during Houtwerk back in 1992. I am thinking of venturing in starting up a wood hobby. Where to start? What tools etc. would you fella's recommend?

I am thinking a lathe sounds like a good place to start. My dad had one when I was still young and into surfing and girls, not hobbies. He does not have it anymore, else I would get that one.

I hated anything to do with woodwork for most of my life, it all started when I found an old rusted handplane my late grandfather had left in a box at my moms house.

After restoring the plane I needed to do something with it and the rest is history.

Wood turning is still my favourite though, you can come out with a completed project quite quickly and its a great relaxing hobby.

I have the 12-18 lathe from Adendorff, it was quite cheap and is surprisingly good. I see they now have a variable speed version which is a lot nicer than changing speed via stepped pulleys.

If you had to get one thing I would go with the lathe, everything else requires multiple tools to complete a project. With a lathe and one or two chisels you can make pretty much whatever you like.

I have been really busy at work during lockdown, got a client in Australia and a client in USA being onboarded so its early mornings and late nights during the week. 

To chill a bit over Easter weekend I turned a lidded pot to keep teabags in, I have been drinking too much coffee so giving it a break for a bit!

The wood is burled London plane tree and the finial is zebrano. Finished with Howards conditioning wax/oil.

There were a lot of cracks and voids around the burled areas so I filled them with CA glue and turned it down then filled again a few times.

post-4822-0-56720700-1586863095_thumb.jpg

post-4822-0-78924800-1586863118_thumb.jpg

post-4822-0-67177300-1586863148_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rocket-Boy

Like Rocket-boy I too didn't care too much for woodwork. My pot stand was an abomination and the cupboard could barely hold it's own weight...

I have collected a few tools over the years (plane, jigsaw, skill saw, hand saws, router and some chisels) but my manufacturing skills still suck. Most of what I plan doesn't come out that nicely. If I can give any advice, measure twice and cut once....

I inherited a metal lathe from my late dad which I have recently started using for turning pens which I am really enjoying.

Unfortunately like most hobbies you will need to make an investment. If it is something that you really enjoy then any investment will be worth it.

I have been really busy at work during lockdown, got a client in Australia and a client in USA being onboarded so its early mornings and late nights during the week. 

To chill a bit over Easter weekend I turned a lidded pot to keep teabags in, I have been drinking too much coffee so giving it a break for a bit!

The wood is burled London plane tree and the finial is zebrano. Finished with Howards conditioning wax/oil.

There were a lot of cracks and voids around the burled areas so I filled them with CA glue and turned it down then filled again a few times.

attachicon.gifIMG_9844.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_9843.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_9842.jpg

Lovely. I would have mistaken it for Wild Olive. Don't think I've even seen London Plane :thumbup:

I spent a bit of time cleaning up and replacing the riempies of our dining room chairs. Real old world stuff and so nice to restore something in solid wood that was so well made. But of course, this being lock-down, I'm short of riempies and cannot finish the job. It'll just have to wait a bit more then, like my wife pointed out, it's already waited a few years, so why get stressed if you can't finish the last two chairs right now! Yes, she was being sarcastic, not supportive!

post-17716-0-34026100-1586876849_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

I spent a bit of time cleaning up and replacing the riempies of our dining room chairs. Real old world stuff and so nice to restore something in solid wood that was so well made. But of course, this being lock-down, I'm short of riempies and cannot finish the job. It'll just have to wait a bit more then, like my wife pointed out, it's already waited a few years, so why get stressed if you can't finish the last two chairs right now! Yes, she was being sarcastic, not supportive!

Not sure which I like more... the chair or the hammer

Edited by Craai

Damn that is a cool hammer!

Having watched so much Youtube videos on turning wood and metal, I can already plan how I would turn the head and shaft of that cool hammer. Am I starting to go a bit bonkers, or am I there already?

Having watched so much Youtube videos on turning wood and metal, I can already plan how I would turn the head and shaft of that cool hammer. Am I starting to go a bit bonkers, or am I there already?

Gonners !!!

So how would you go about turning that head taking into account that the head is larger than the body?

The club end of the handle is asymmetrical and it is shaped to fit your hand in such a natural way. I bought it from a knife making show and it is something used by jewelry and watch / clock makers.

Die hammer is die wenner in die foto!

Gonners !!!

So how would you go about turning that head taking into account that the head is larger than the body?

I would turn the steel head to fit the proportional sized diameters, including the middle section (about the same diameter as the outside "anvil" head side?), and then I would mill it to skim off the sides to create the flat sections, and turn the head 90 degrees to do each side the same. Some sanding and polishing on a polish wheel and it should come out pretty much the same?

Again, this is all in my head, and of course I am missing some crucial steps, but it just "works" in my head.

Edited by Robbie Stewart

The club end of the handle is asymmetrical and it is shaped to fit your hand in such a natural way. I bought it from a knife making show and it is something used by jewelry and watch / clock makers.

I noticed that now, and ja, it is very cool. Turning will only get one "so far"..