Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I had that same 3 weeks forced leave, would love to get stuck into some projects.

Sadly its business as usual for me, I work from home in international IT so nothing has changed.

Well you’ve got 3 weeks forced leave coming up......[emoji16]

We're part of the agricultural supply chain, so we are glued to the grind stone. I'm sending my drivers home, so I will probably be taking all the loads.

I have a drawer for my wife's dresser that needs to ge built after one of them got lost in a move, and I want to build a wood passive amplifier for my phone, so if there is down time I might just hide in the garage. Woodworking is a brilliant form of RnR for me, because I'm learning as I go. Humbling and satisfying at once,.

We're part of the agricultural supply chain, so we are glued to the grind stone. I'm sending my drivers home, so I will probably be taking all the loads.

I have a drawer for my wife's dresser that needs to ge built after one of them got lost in a move, and I want to build a wood passive amplifier for my phone, so if there is down time I might just hide in the garage. Woodworking is a brilliant form of RnR for me, because I'm learning as I go. Humbling and satisfying at once,.

Good luck! Im rush installing shelves to make myself office at home. And 3d printing faceshields for some doctors.

Urgh, this lockdown caught me off guard. Phoned the board shop earlier this week - sold out on birch ply. No mitre saw station build.

Too late to design and plan a new project from hard wood now, and my jointer's blades aren't the sharpest either. 

Will see if I've enough scrap wood to make something. 

But I get lazier when I'm bored or without purpose, so I have at least stocked up on wine and beer if all else fails.

Toolcraft having a nice 20% off lockdown sale, but in-store only, yet their stated position for COVID has been to limit entry to the store. In fact, today, you could only order from outside the store, and collections done the same way.

maybe i'm just miffed i pulled the trigger before the sale kicked in :P

It may not be the amazing projects people are going to come up with during the lock-down, but I repaired a broken 20 year old teak chair. Yes, I know it is a bit of a boer maak 'n plan job. Yes, I know I grafted a bit of off cut oak onto a teak chair, but it works. In a few months the wood will be as weathered as the rest of the chair and the shiny brass reinforcement tarnished to disappear as well.

Stella checked it out and shouted for the whole world to hear what a fantastic job it is I did........and that she is looking forward to chewing up some oak too!

Nou gaan ons braai. 

post-17716-0-42107100-1585476004_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-08235300-1585476017_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-41242100-1585476029_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

Desperate times call for desperate measures: Put up extra rails and stacked the bikes a little more densely in my study. It took a bit of head scratching to get them to "social distance" and not to rub, but I managed. Only problem is that it is going to be difficult removing one from the middle or the top. Luckily I had all the bits & pieces lying around. (I don't have a garage or a bike room, although my wife says I shouldn't complain because we have a bike house!) B.t.w, the youngest bike on that wall one is 20 years old, the oldest 40!

post-17716-0-85523500-1585629773_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-01670200-1585629795_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

Desperate times call for desperate measures: Put up extra rails and stacked the bikes a little more densely in my study. It took a bit of head scratching to get them to "social distance" and not to rub, but I managed. Only problem is that it is going to be difficult removing one from the middle or the top. Luckily I had all the bits & pieces lying around. (I don't have a garage or a bike room, although my wife says I shouldn't complain because we have a bike house!) B.t.w, the youngest bike on that wall one is 20 years old, the oldest 40!

Wow, love that collection!

And you certainly packed them in - well done!

Years ago I had a secondhand  Lejeune with a very similar paint job (black with white honey-comb) which I called my Black Diamond.  That was a dream back then - as soon as I I was moving, I could release the handlebars and speed up without touching the handlebars.  Dream handling.  Never managed to do the same on another bike again... (my balance is not the best!)  

Unfortunately it was stolen after I had it only c 2 years.  :(  :angry:  :(

Edited by carrera4s

Wow, love that collection!

And you certainly packed them in - well done!

Years ago I had a secondhand  Lejeune with a very similar paint job (black with white honey-comb) which I called my Black Diamond.  That was a dream back then - as soon as I I was moving, I could release the handlebars and speed up without touching the handlebars.  Dream handling.  Never managed to do the same on another bike again... (my balance is not the best!)  

Unfortunately it was stolen after I had it only c 2 years.  :(  :angry:  :(

The LeJeune belongs to my one son and it really rides exactly like you describe. Totally solid, no nervousness, like it is on an invisible rail. The Merckx is the only other one that can match it.

I'm not the nearly in the same league as you guys but I couldn't work on our dining room table anymore in the lockdown due to family noise levels.

I have study room but no table.

I had a few lengths of square tubing and borrowed a few planks from the garage roof.

The planks were extremely warped.

I made jig for my router to flatten the new top. 90% done and the router bit came lose.

I left it all for two days feeling sorry for myself.

Flipped the top over and starter again

Frame also came out perfect. No a single weld visible even with only the thinnest layer of paint. 52c16dbb758d03c1c47f884b6c510e5d.jpgb547dcae4ca883caf1ccd08a5ddae490.jpg1659fdde4eea29f7ed4bf355cda89c0f.jpg08c435fbb43c7f73cc6f6525a23f7f03.jpg9bc241b1283006e12b7fc921f3d3a27f.jpg

Edited by Jaws677

Sommer a rough and tumble little bit of wood work - rather - a project that started as a wood work project, but for now I'll let you guess how it ended.  Keep in mind, this is "keep busy under lock-down" stuff! 

Measure, cut, drill, sand a collection of plywood shapes of the right thickness.

post-17716-0-48726200-1585832934_thumb.jpg

No, it isn't a puzzle for 3 year olds, but if you want to, you can fit it together like this! 

post-17716-0-06067500-1585833658_thumb.jpg

And like this! (Remember this is also an "up your post count" exercise ;) ) 

post-17716-0-07980200-1585833714_thumb.jpg

But if you really want to use it correctly, you clamp the living daylights out of it with a couple of pieces of wet stained leather in between and you leave it to dry overnight. Ok, congratulations, by now you've figured out that put together, the blocks make a mold of some kind.

post-17716-0-49001100-1585834014_thumb.jpg

Next up, use a comb punch and a hammer to make the holes for the stitching to come. A trick to get it neat, is to glue it precisely AND clamp it tightly so nothing can move when you punch the holes. Anybody wants to guess what it is going to be? :)

post-17716-0-44907000-1585834484_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR