Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Lovely. I would have mistaken it for Wild Olive. Don't think I've even seen London Plane :thumbup:

Its a fairly common tree in this area, the municipality planted them many years ago.

Unfortunately they are the target species of the PSHB(Polyphagous shot hole borer beetle) and a lot of the trees are dying as a result.

Others, like this one survived but ended up HEAVILY burled from the damage caused by the beetles. I think I still have a blank or two around so will take a pic of them.

Its burled and ambrosia due to the effects of the bacteria the beetles grow inside of their holes.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would turn the steel head to fit the proportional sized diameters, including the middle section (about the same diameter as the outside "anvil" head side?), and then I would mill it to skim off the sides to create the flat sections, and turn the head 90 degrees to do each side the same. Some sanding and polishing on a polish wheel and it should come out pretty much the same?

Again, this is all in my head, and of course I am missing some crucial steps, but it just "works" in my head.

Think you'd need a 4 jaw chuck to square up the mid sections if you're only going to use a lathe. 

Oh, I have no difficulty with that - the hammer! :)

Yes!!! that hammer is gorgeous!

I have about the same size head that was found in the box with my grandfathers handplane. It had an old metal pipe flared out as a handle. He was a practical man, it just needed to work!

Im still looking for a good piece of wood to use as a handle for a similar outcome.

Having watched so much Youtube videos on turning wood and metal, I can already plan how I would turn the head and shaft of that cool hammer. Am I starting to go a bit bonkers, or am I there already?

Been there, and still pretty much there.

On youtube these are the guys I enjoy for that type of thing:

Metal work:

AvE

This old Tony

Ca Lem (This youngster is amazing!)

Wood turning:

Tim Yoder

Martin Saban-Smith

Marius Hornberger

Pask makes

Andy Philip

Heath Knuckles

There are a bunch more, but for beginner stuff the best is Tim Yoder. He is great at teaching technique while making fun projects.

I would turn the steel head to fit the proportional sized diameters, including the middle section (about the same diameter as the outside "anvil" head side?), and then I would mill it to skim off the sides to create the flat sections, and turn the head 90 degrees to do each side the same. Some sanding and polishing on a polish wheel and it should come out pretty much the same?

Again, this is all in my head, and of course I am missing some crucial steps, but it just "works" in my head.

Most of the metal turning in an item like that would be done with a 4 jaw independent chuck where you could align the center portion with a dial indicator after turning the ends.

Its a pain to setup something like that but would be the correct way to machine it. 

Most of the metal turning in an item like that would be done with a 4 jaw independent chuck where you could align the center portion with a dial indicator after turning the ends.

Its a pain to setup something like that but would be the correct way to machine it. 

Just came across this when looking up 4-jaw chuck. I have seen many folks use it, I just did not know what it was called. It was what I has thinking of using to mill the flat sides, yes.

Been there, and still pretty much there.

On youtube these are the guys I enjoy for that type of thing:

Metal work:

AvE

This old Tony

Ca Lem (This youngster is amazing!)

Wood turning:

Tim Yoder

Martin Saban-Smith

Marius Hornberger

Pask makes

Andy Philip

Heath Knuckles

There are a bunch more, but for beginner stuff the best is Tim Yoder. He is great at teaching technique while making fun projects.

Best channel on youtube. Comedy gold of dad jokes.

Best channel on youtube. Comedy gold of dad jokes.

I love ToT that oke is such a chop :)

AvE takes a bit of getting used to but he has more one liners than Jimmy Carr! Also his language is proper Canadian miner language...

This old tony is epic. 

Another channel I like but that isn't as busy is Fireball Tools, this guy makes some amazing stuff (not hobbist centred at all)

I stopped watching woodworking as it gave me the itch to do things I could maybe pull off but would be prevented due to divorce. Ill get back into that soon as ill need to build a new bed base as ex will likely get the bed I built last time.

This old tony is epic. 

Another channel I like but that isn't as busy is Fireball Tools, this guy makes some amazing stuff (not hobbist centred at all)

I stopped watching woodworking as it gave me the itch to do things I could maybe pull off but would be prevented due to divorce. Ill get back into that soon as ill need to build a new bed base as ex will likely get the bed I built last time.

Its a great time to design a base that works for you. 

I made one about a year or two back that has really big storage drawers in and a spot underneath for the dogs beds.

Its a great time to design a base that works for you. 

I made one about a year or two back that has really big storage drawers in and a spot underneath for the dogs beds.

Dogs in the bedroom - now THAT will cause a divorce in the "Porsche" household!  ;)  :P  :D

Yes!!! that hammer is gorgeous!

I have about the same size head that was found in the box with my grandfathers handplane. It had an old metal pipe flared out as a handle. He was a practical man, it just needed to work!

Im still looking for a good piece of wood to use as a handle for a similar outcome.

I can send you a nice piece of Rosewood, Hardekool, or Hard Maple if you want?

Edited by carrera4s

I spent a bit of time cleaning up and replacing the riempies of our dining room chairs. Real old world stuff and so nice to restore something in solid wood that was so well made. But of course, this being lock-down, I'm short of riempies and cannot finish the job. It'll just have to wait a bit more then, like my wife pointed out, it's already waited a few years, so why get stressed if you can't finish the last two chairs right now! Yes, she was being sarcastic, not supportive!

When my MIL moved out of her place we got the dinning room table and chairs.

Both the wife and her mom went on about “solid wood”. I never paid much attention to it, hate the thing.

So the other day my wife decides she wants to strip the table down and revarnish.

We take it outside and for the first time in 15 years I take a good look at the table. It’s a veneer. The wife was soooo disappointed.

Dogs in the bedroom - now THAT will cause a divorce in the "Porsche" household!  ;)  :P  :D

Hahaha! we dont have kids so the dogs get to be wherever they want!!

I can send you a nice piece of Rosewood, Hardekool, or Hard Maple if you want?

NO!!! You have sent me far too much already!

Im not in a rush, when I find the right piece then it will be good.

I have some wild olive that Im trying to figure out how to cut, can use it for turning or flatwork but not both.