Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When my MIL moved out of her place we got the dinning room table and chairs.

Both the wife and her mom went on about “solid wood”. I never paid much attention to it, hate the thing.

So the other day my wife decides she wants to strip the table down and revarnish.

We take it outside and for the first time in 15 years I take a good look at the table. It’s a veneer. The wife was soooo disappointed.

Agge nee!

That is often the case sadly.

Im looking to do something like that with a desk top I have to make, going to be basic plywood for the main structure, then add a 6mm quality veneered ply on top. Some edge banding in nice wood will hide all of the edges.

When my MIL moved out of her place we got the dinning room table and chairs.

Both the wife and her mom went on about “solid wood”. I never paid much attention to it, hate the thing.

So the other day my wife decides she wants to strip the table down and revarnish.

We take it outside and for the first time in 15 years I take a good look at the table. It’s a veneer. The wife was soooo disappointed.

The way we got that particular table and chairs is a long story, but since we have time and all .......

We have a beautiful old Victorian walnut table that I bough for next to nothing, decades ago and restored to perfection, including French polishing with much elbow grease. It is an extension table but at its biggest it can only fit 8 with a squeeze. It is the right size for the dining room, and for 90 % of what we need a dining room table for. But my wife has moaned for years that we needed a bigger table. I resisted successfully and a stalemate was reached. I thought I won!

Mistake!

Then a good friend, who is part of our unofficial weekly Friday night dinner group, bought himself a new old dining room suite at auction. Suddenly he had no use for his own 12 seater and offered it to my wife, who immediately accepted. I was sent to go fetch it. There I got 2 surprises. It came with 8 chairs and he refused to accept money for it. All I had to do was to repair one of the chairs he bought for himself (I posted about it some way back)

The way the whole thing panned out I suspect he and my wife planned this whole shift-the-table thing very carefully! So, what have I learnt from it? That my wife was right (again) because the bigger table works so beautifully. 

This old tony is epic. 

Another channel I like but that isn't as busy is Fireball Tools, this guy makes some amazing stuff (not hobbist centred at all)

I stopped watching woodworking as it gave me the itch to do things I could maybe pull off but would be prevented due to divorce. Ill get back into that soon as ill need to build a new bed base as ex will likely get the bed I built last time.

make sure you loosen something in the old bed before handing it over so that it make a creaking sound every time one moved in it :P

Its a great time to design a base that works for you. 

I made one about a year or two back that has really big storage drawers in and a spot underneath for the dogs beds.

Thats the plan yes! I love the storage under bed idea and want to do something like that.

I have access to alot of pine but its unfinished etc lot of finishing work.

As for it being creaky well now the bed was made to take apart..... and if incorrectly assembled its gonna creak, to get out of room ill take it apart...... since i wont be putting it together again I smile imagining the swearing and wtf's. as its a careful fit with hidden pockets.

My wife finished her project before mine, but at least I helped by casting the epoxy to seal the tiles.  Due to the cool weather, we "baked" it a bit in the oven to help the epoxy cure, but unfortunately the white grout then turned grey.  Luckily no-one will know.  (Apart from everybody on the Pretoria Woodworkers Association Whats-App group and now you guys.  :blush: )

post-50518-0-06058900-1587019568_thumb.jpg

Edited by carrera4s

My wife finished her project before mine, but at least I helped by casting the epoxy to seal the tiles.  Due to the cool weather, we "baked" it a bit in the oven to help the epoxy cure, but unfortunately the white grout then turned grey.  Luckily no-one will know.  (Apart from everybody on the Pretoria Woodworkers Association Whats-App group and now you guys.  :blush: )

attachicon.gifIMG-20200415-WA0012.jpg

Wow that looks awesome! well done Mrs Porsche!

Its a great time to design a base that works for you. 

I made one about a year or two back that has really big storage drawers in and a spot underneath for the dogs beds.

You don't perhaps have double bed plans for this type of thing?

Lockdown project complete, a step chair thing for the workshop. Had to dig out every piece of scrap wood to make this work. Will probably just use whatever leftover sealer/finish I’ve left, most likely danish oil for easiness.

fd4a055fd551dcd6a4794cd6a543375d.jpg

35461f1fa0910c004c4b59cb42e89a44.jpg

b7d713d7fc5ce325734dd2907623be78.jpg

d0ed7cc303cfcb7c6332f468265341e2.jpg

81c0939a642ac60019486656f81c87ef.jpg

Lockdown project complete, a step chair thing for the workshop. Had to dig out every piece of scrap wood to make this work. Will probably just use whatever leftover sealer/finish I’ve left, most likely danish oil for easiness.

Anyone who can build that from scraps is a true Meister!  :thumbup:

Edited by DJR

fd4a055fd551dcd6a4794cd6a543375d.jpg

b7d713d7fc5ce325734dd2907623be78.jpg

d0ed7cc303cfcb7c6332f468265341e2.jpg

Steph, for us woodworking hackers, can you take us through a step by step on how you did this and what tools you used ?

attachicon.gifIMG-20200415-WA0012.jpg

Nice, pitty you didn't ask here first as I would've advised you to just increase the mix ratio of the hardner a tad and then heatgun the surface periodically. That would set the curing process into faster rates (epoxy resin obviously)

Still turned out nicely though! 

Nice, pitty you didn't ask here first as I would've advised you to just increase the mix ratio of the hardner a tad and then heatgun the surface periodically. That would set the curing process into faster rates (epoxy resin obviously)

Still turned out nicely though! 

Just dont try that with polyester resin, it goes badly. Dont ask me how I know that!

Steph, for us woodworking hackers, can you take us through a step by step on how you did this and what tools you used ?

No worries.

I do have a complete workshop of woodworking tools, so some might not consider it true diy.

When working with limited stock, in this case left over scrap wood, I try to maintain maximum dimensions of the lumber throughout the process, as apposed to just planing every piece to the same thickness and be done. Firstly square up two surfaces with the jointer, then bring it to final dimensions on the thicknesser and table saw.

Tenons are cut on the table saw with the mitre gauge set at the right angle (99deg) and cleaned up with a chisel. The mortises I cut with the plunge router. I used expoy for these joints due to unsteady hands with the router and less than perfect fit. I still need to modify the router's base to make mortise cutting easier, but I'm now seriously just contemplating a domino cutter.

On the cross braces connecting the 2 "A" frames I used 8 mm dowels as the pieces weren't long enough to accommodate the extra length for tenons. Drilling is done on the drill press, and corresponding holes are transferred with those little plug-pins. I might still just add a screw and plug it for extra security. Dowels are plenty strong for shear strength, but  not so sure about the rocking effect.

The seat/top is also made with slats and mortises/tenons due to not enough wood for a solid top, but aesthetically I think it works better.

After glue up, sanded with P60, 120, and 240 with a random orbital sander. All edges are beveled with a block plane. Round overs on the step and seat is done on the router table with a large (think its 1" radius) round over bit partially extended to give that 'arc cove' effect.

I used Sketchup this time to get the basis layout and dimensions. Usually I just sketch it out on a piece of paper, or use Rhino3D to model things that requires an extra visualisation, but my laptop is getting to slow for it.

Ok. I will print and read slowly.

That is almost like reading the quarterly financial notice Old mutual sends out!