Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

I always suspected that Rutherford is inflating their Makita prices heavily, now I know for certain they do. Problem is that in SA Makita has almost cornered the pro-tool market, with no decent competition from the likes of Bosch (cordless, other tools good), DeWalt (poor product support) and others. The only real competition they have is with the corded power tools where Festool, although expensive themselves, are only a fraction more expensive.

Just had a look on ebay now. It seems as if it's just the cordless stuff that's getting a huge local markup when compared to overseas. The 3-base laminate trimmer / router I'm looking at is around the same price when converted... 

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had a look on ebay now. It seems as if it's just the cordless stuff that's getting a huge local markup when compared to overseas. The 3-base laminate trimmer / router I'm looking at is around the same price when converted... 

I think that is because their cordless stuff is better by quite a bit than the local competitor which is Bosch.  And Rutherford knows this, so that have basically a monopoly on the local pro-cordless market. It's time that their main competition in that segment which is Milwaukee, get their local distribution sorted out. Then it might just put some pressure on their pricing.

DeWalt tried, but I don't think they tried their best.

Myles, some of the corded stuff is also overpriced.  Compare for example the pricing of their Track Saw against the Festool Track Saw, and also their Sliding Compound Miter Saw against the Bosch I just bought, which I believe is better that the Makita anyway.

BTW, Bosch just released a lower priced Sliding Compound Miter Saw (12") that is using the old style gliding mechanism. That ought to get Makita and DeWalt's attention.

http://www.bosch-professional.com/za/en/sliding-mitre-saw-gcm-12-sde-131473-0601b23100.html

Edited by Moridin

Some of the hammers and handles I got to yesterday. Just need final sanding and assembly, which will be done tonight. Some of the handles aren't complete in the pic, and the top RT block was a test of a jig to line the holes up ... didn't go too well, but I'll just mill it out and make a 'play' hammer :D

post-29544-0-58368100-1470294998_thumb.jpg

Some of the hammers and handles I got to yesterday. Just need final sanding and assembly, which will be done tonight. Some of the handles aren't complete in the pic, and the top RT block was a test of a jig to line the holes up ... didn't go too well, but I'll just mill it out and make a 'play' hammer :D

attachicon.gifIMG-20160804-WA0000.jpg

I'm quivering like an 18 year old getting her first taste of... 

attachicon.gifIMG-20160804-WA0000.jpg

very very nice Pants Boy!!!

attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpegJust finished 2 pepper grinders. The first is Tamboti, and the red and yellow is the left overs of the Padauk and Yellow Wood.

Man those are cool. How did you make them? Did you use the grinding part from an old grinder?

Sent from my LG-H735 using Tapatalk

And then just some details, because I'm bored sitting here on a semi-public holiday night ... but really, the pubs are packed and I don't drink anyway. 

I absolutely love what you do with scraps Le Turbo, masterful!

Postman Pot at Caltex looked at me very strangely this morning ... firstly because I asked for ten Aramex bags, secondly because I proceeded to fill them with hammers  :w00t:  Unfortunately it seems as if you'll only get your hammers on Monday or Tuesday, depending on location :)

Sniffie, aren't you scared of getting the trots from that Tambotie grinder? 

I was also taught that Tambotie was somewhat poisonous. Which is why it is so resistant to insects and rot. But I have no 1st hand experience. So, just hearsay. Maybe I should ask uncle Google before posting. Aaag what the hell, press button! It's more fun! Someone else will Google soon enough! The Hub is fun and its' Friday!