Was your bike stolen in Bloemfontein?

Vetseun

I was driving in Hilton in Bloem today. An oke came riding past me on a Bergamont Road Bike. A quick calculation made me realise that this guy and the bike dont fit together. I pulled up next to him and one of my workers who was in the bakkie (We drive bakkies in the Free State) told him to pull over. The guy made a quick get away between traffic. Another of my workers who was on the back of the bakkie was able to keep sight of him. He ducked into a small shopping centre and went with the bike into a budget soap outlet. I waited for him outside the shop and when he came out, I confronted him.

He told me that he had purchased the bike from his boss Freddy and Freddy lives in Bayswater in Bloem. So I told him to load the bike and I would take him back to his workplace and I would confirm that the bike was sold to him by Freddy. So off we go. After about 20 min, I realised that we would not see Freddy as there is no Freddy. So I stopped and we discussed the matter. The bike was now a friends bike and he was lending it. By this time my workers were getting lank irritated with this goon. They told me that he is a tsotsi and they are keen to open up a can of whoop ass on him.

I informed our friend that I was now going to drive to the nearest SAPD offices and that he could explain his story to them.

On our way to the cop shop, our friend jumped off the bakkie at a robot and made a run for it. There was no chance of us catching him. We kept the bike.

Anyway enough background.

If this is your bike, please PM me so that I can give it back to you. Ive got a lovely photo of the thief too.

post-16512-0-92863700-1464798863_thumb.jpg

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's no doubt that this guy stole the bike, actions speak louder than words.

You need to remember, this is south Africa and things can turn pretty quickly. What if he claims he found it and was riding around looking for the owner. You are now the thief, you chased him, forced him on to your bakkie with a gang of guys threatening to beat him up. He ran away because he was scared your guys would kill him. You now have stolen property in your hands

Well done on recovering a bike, but you are braver than me.

You need to remember, this is south Africa and things can turn pretty quickly. What if he claims he found it and was riding around looking for the owner. You are now the thief, you chased him, forced him on to your bakkie with a gang of guys threatening to beat him up. He ran away because he was scared your guys would kill him. You now have stolen property in your hands

What he said.

Anyway, lekker storie om te vertel by 'n braai!

Last year my Son's SS was stolen on campus in Bloem, conveniently during load shedding. It was quite a unique bike that I put together for him. No sign of it since. Apparently they bust a syndicate a few months after that. Details from campus security were sketchy. I would never buy him a Bergamont, because I don't like them and it's too fancy for a bloody student anyway.

Love your work Vettes. Is it true that you led the fightback at the Shimlas game not too long ago? #vattiekakkie.

Awesome work! That is classic. 

Simple remedy is to spread the word and also hand it in to the cops as a stolen item. Not sure what the rules are here but overseas you get a docket, if its claimed they let you know and if no one claims in then usually it's retuned to you after 6 months. 

Thats the problem in this country.

That ford of yours not fast enough to catch and despatch him? :)

Great effort - Kudos and hats off to you and your guys.

Well done vetseun, if you drop it off at the cop shop, a policeman's kid will be riding it to school before the weekend, you're between a rock and a hard place if no one claims it.

Maybe the frame manufacturer can trace the owner through the frame number?

Hope someone sticks there hand up soon.

T

Update: The bike has been reunited with its owner.

The power of social media.

Legend. 

Well done sir! Just glad the wagon with people that jumps on how do you know it was not his bike, bla bla bla did not get the gang together.

Archived