[PLEASE APPLY] Visibility On The Road

'Dale

Almost sad to see the number of cyclists getting caught out with the earlier sunset times .... seeing WAY too many cyclists returning home after sunset, with no lights ....

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cyclist hit by a car in my neighborhood just 3 hours ago 2-300m from the police station , suffered severe head injuries and unfortunately did not make it. He was riding home from the local grocery store with some food, and from what I've heard he wasn't wearing a helmet nor was he wearing any reflective gear, I don't really have the full story story yet especially about the state of the motorist.

May his soul rest in peace.

Again, if you ride , please just wear a helmet (even if you're just going around the corner)and some bright reflective clothing. It's not a guarantee that you will be safe but it gives you that chance, especially when it's dark.

Cyclist hit by a car in my neighborhood just 3 hours ago 2-300m from the police station , suffered severe head injuries and unfortunately did not make it. He was riding home from the local grocery store with some food, and from what I've heard he wasn't wearing a helmet nor was he wearing any reflective gear, I don't really have the full story story yet especially about the state of the motorist.

May his soul rest in peace.

Again, if you ride , please just wear a helmet (even if you're just going around the corner)and some bright reflective clothing. It's not a guarantee that you will be safe but it gives you that chance, especially when it's dark.

Sad. RIP

Almost sad to see the number of cyclists getting caught out with the earlier sunset times .... seeing WAY too many cyclists returning home after sunset, with no lights ....

That's just being dumb, since you know more or less how long your ride should take.........

Get them a free tail light at least [emoji6]

https://www.extremelights.co.za/collections/cycle-lights/products/red-tail-phoenix-usb-rechargeable

post-110836-15263050151127.png

• 1 month later...

My hi-viz jacket in the shadow of the mountain

I also have a Ryder light which flickers bright bright (at this point in time it was between flicks)

Light up, fellow cyclists  :thumbup:

post-12015-0-57620200-1529605912_thumb.jpg

Edited by 'Dale

That's just being dumb, since you know more or less how long your ride should take.........

Get them a free tail light at least [emoji6]

https://www.extremelights.co.za/collections/cycle-lights/products/red-tail-phoenix-usb-rechargeable

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2018-05-14-15-24-43-742_com.google.android.gm.png

I'm also wondering what the T&C's are, as it says cart doesnt meet the requirements after clicking that link.

Also surprised how expensive their lights have become. Glad I bought my headlamp before their prices tripled.

Assos RS.sturmPrinz if I am not mistaken.

I know it is a Assos jacket.

Thanks Andrew.

Where can one find this jacket?

I see CWC does not stock the specific model, but look at these two links:

https://www.buycycle.co.za/mountain-bike/clothing-and-footwear/jackets/assos-rs.-sturmprinz-evo-rain-jacket-lolly-red/

https://assos.cyclust.co.za/products/shells-assos-rs.sturmprinz-evo-ls-2018-lolly-red-l/

Be warned, they are really expensive, but like 'Dale explained to me it is simply the best (brand) out there. It last literally forever and does not give any issues at all.

Dale, what hi-viz jacket is that?

It's primarily a rain jacket and my sub 5 wind chill layer, @samson99

It comes in black and lollipop red as expressed by Andrew Smith.

I haven't read the entire thread, so if this has been posted already, apologies.  I would highly recommend a pair of the "snap-on" reflective straps around your ankles.  Most bike shops, sportsstores and even Dischem keep them.  I got mine from Dischem for just 15 bucks!

They are visible in headlights from well over 100m back and because they are on your ankles, they are moving as you pedal so more likely to be seen.

They also weigh next to nothing and you can hardly feel them on.

post-43636-0-85411900-1529668708_thumb.png

I haven't read the entire thread, so if this has been posted already, apologies.  I would highly recommend a pair of the "snap-on" reflective straps around your ankles.  Most bike shops, sportsstores and even Dischem keep them.  I got mine from Dischem for just 15 bucks!

They are visible in headlights from well over 100m back and because they are on your ankles, they are moving as you pedal so more likely to be seen.

They also weigh next to nothing and you can hardly feel them on.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-06-22 at 1.56.31 PM.png

Definitely worth it and the price is not a consideration vs reflective properties.

If you do not use them, why not?