[PLEASE APPLY] Visibility On The Road

'Dale

When will we ever learn!

Come on people, lets make ourselves visible for the sake of cycling!!!!!

Edited by Sepia

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Turn yourselves into Christmas trees if need be. Just watch your asses on the road people. These drivers are killing us.

NICE 

saw a lady and gent on Suikerbossie Bellville at 6:00 this morning.

GOOD tail lights.

clear front lights

so nice to SEE well lit cyclists

I get teased on a regular basis because of all my rear lights

Edited by Allrounder

The stupidity of some cyclists (the majority this morning) is astounding. The road between Melkbos and Big Bay is narrow with no yellow line to speak of. 6.10 in the morning is still dark and out the the 10 cyclists I saw only one had a headlight. Two had tail lights and they all had dark/black clothing.

I think a point to note is this. Slapping on a cheap coin cell rear light just doesn't cut it. you can put 3 of those on, it is not good enough IMO.

Spend some money and get something decent.

I read about the Bontrager Flare R being an exceptional light. Then I saw someone with it on and it really is astounding how far those things can be seen. Decided there and then to get one.

Didn't have time to find perhaps a more appropriate topic for this, but it relates to cycling safety, so here goes.....

Thanks are due to the oke on a superbike on Sat 24 Feb, on Cedar Ave, Fourways. As I sat at the front of the traffic waiting for the red to change, the biker and I shared a little visual joke about racing away from the line. Anyway when the lights changed, he put his bike directly in front of the car-driver who tried to jump the traffic and turn right in front of us both; a move which would have put the car 'pretty close' to me as I pedalled away from the newly green light to cross the junction had the biker not stopped the car. Not only did he block the car, and rev the **** out of his bike to alert the driver, but he clearly exposed himself to greater risk than he needed to. Thanks dude.

I don't think I lacked visibility (1030, loud jersey, headlight on full, positioned stationary at the front of the traffic waiting for the red to change etc). Just another car driver who was in a 'hurry' and saw a chance to try and avoid waiting until the junction cleared.

The positive in this? Perhaps making 'positive contact' with fellow road users can benefit you, rather than 'only' flipping the bird at the inevitable carelessness we're exposed to.

Perhaps making 'positive contact' with fellow road users can benefit you, rather than 'only' flipping the bird at the inevitable carelessness we're exposed to.

YES ! !

I make eye contact with car drivers at a junction, showing the right of way .... mostly they STOP, and let me past first.

If I cant make eye-contact with them it is because their concentration is elsewhere - and they dont know I am there !!!  Get out of dodge !!!!!  DONT get in front of somebody that does not know you are there .....

• 1 month later...

I get teased on a regular basis because of all my rear lights

Bought the Bontrager FLAIR for the commuter.  Need to figure out how/where it will be fitted (normal pipe mount is not an option)

Now TWO tail lights.

one small blinking-red to the side

TWO front lights (one ON, one blinking)

High vizz jacket

reflective bands around my ankles

Sure it helps a bit .... but some drivers are so pre-occupied with other stuff !!  PLEASE stay safe out there !!!

Yesterday morning .... 6:30 ... PITCH DARK

Gent commuting in his DARK office clothes, with ZERO lights, and no reflectors .....  :eek:

Real Darwin award candidate .....  :wacko:

PLEASE be safe out there

• 4 weeks later...

So I know there is probably no point in posting this but I am going to have my rant anyway.

Every morning I take my daughter to school around 7.00 which is pretty much total darkness at this time of the year. And virtually every morning I pass a group of riders on mountain bikes leaving Atlantic Beach heading north, probably to Koeberg. Usually 5 or 6 guys.  No lights. Sorry I lie. 2 days ago one guy had a pathetic little rear light. All dressed in black. Virtually invisible. One morning I passed them as they were near Van Riebeekstrand primary. In their invisible state they thought it was a good idea to ride two abreast taking up half a lane.

Now these are guys who live in houses costing around R7 million, but they are too tight to pay R300 for a light.

I spoke to one guy as I was leaving this morning. Not confrontational, just informed him that he was pretty much invisible in his black kit. He feigned some interest and rode off into the darkness....

These invisible riders dressed in black and without lights are my pet peeve.  

Sometimes I wonder how I manage to miss them as you come upon them so fast when driving in the dark.  Very high risk if riding two abreast.

So I know there is probably no point in posting this but I am going to have my rant anyway.

Every morning I take my daughter to school around 7.00 which is pretty much total darkness at this time of the year. And virtually every morning I pass a group of riders on mountain bikes leaving Atlantic Beach heading north, probably to Koeberg. Usually 5 or 6 guys. No lights. Sorry I lie. 2 days ago one guy had a pathetic little rear light. All dressed in black. Virtually invisible. One morning I passed them as they were near Van Riebeekstrand primary. In their invisible state they thought it was a good idea to ride two abreast taking up half a lane.

Now these are guys who live in houses costing around R7 million, but they are too tight to pay R300 for a light.

I spoke to one guy as I was leaving this morning. Not confrontational, just informed him that he was pretty much invisible in his black kit. He feigned some interest and rode off into the darkness....

Some of them could have got in at 650k in Atlantic beach :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YES ! !

I make eye contact with car drivers at a junction, showing the right of way .... mostly they STOP, and let me past first.

If I cant make eye-contact with them it is because their concentration is elsewhere - and they dont know I am there !!!  Get out of dodge !!!!!  DONT get in front of somebody that does not know you are there .....

The positive in this? Perhaps making 'positive contact' with fellow road users can benefit you, rather than 'only' flipping the bird at the inevitable carelessness we're exposed to.

Make eye contact, be explicit about indicating your movements, and very importantly thank people for good behaviour. If a motorist give you space, a gap, passes you wide, thank them 3 or 4 times, over thank them. They should arrive at the office and tell their mates "jeez you should have seen how grateful this cyclist was when I just passed him a little wider than normal", that will encourage them and others to do it again. 

Edited by Patchelicious

Some of them could have got in at 650k in Atlantic beach :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got in earlier than that :P :P :P

Edited by MTBeer