[PLEASE APPLY] Visibility On The Road

'Dale

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ALWAYS commute with my lights on .... during daylight hours I switch ALL 5 lights to flashing mode.

Coming down Bill Bezuidenhout today a car actually moved away from the pavement to make way for me .... so clearly the flashing light actually works during bright sunny days

The sun is coming up LATER ....

Makes for STUNNING commutes 

post-110956-0-29650900-1550161084_thumb.jpg

Sadly it also means we are even less visible .... charge those lights  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

The sun is coming up LATER ....

Makes for STUNNING commutes 

attachicon.gifc1.jpg

Sadly it also means we are even less visible .... charge those lights  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

That period around sunrise is the most dangerous as it blinds drivers. Always keep in mind that visibility from behind a dirty glass windshield is MUCH worse that what you see from the bike. Always assume that the driver cannot see you, especially if you have the rising son on your back! Even a flashing light is not always enough.

Summer she is GONE !!

Just the other day I commuted in the morning SUN ....

Now I leave home in the light of the full moon ...

post-110956-0-92294000-1550761555_thumb.jpg

Over the N1 and the sun has not even risen yet ... but what a view !! 

post-110956-0-74230500-1550761591_thumb.jpg

best get those lights charged and looking like a traveling christmas tree ...

Edited by ChrisF

• 4 weeks later...

I have started riding tar sections from home to the trails.  Typically this is done very early to get off the roads before it gets busy, but coming back the roads are understandably busier ...

I tried my normal bar mounted lights ... but these were never meant for corrugated trails ....

So I bought this little gem from RYDER - https://omnico.co.za/ryder-light-100-dual

I use it on strobe mode, and the two LED are certainly sharp enough to ensure a mildly concious driver should see you.  The light gives about 5 hours ride time.  Worth noting the indicator blue light turns from blue to red only minutes before the light dies.  Best to charge before each ride.

For the rear I use one of these from RYDER - https://www.rydercycling.co.za/ryder-products/lights/super-cob-usb-light-detail

always sad to the great many cyclists out on the roads with no lights .... even more so when they ride in the dark ...   These small lights add only a few grams, even the worst weight weenie cant complain about this ....

You’ve likely never heard of Darlene Edewaard. But if you even occasionally ride a bike on open roads with cars, she just might save your life. Edewaard is a Ph.D. candidate in the Human Factors Psychology program at South Carolina’s Clemson University and specializes in studying vision science and then applying that knowledge to transportation safety.

Read more here

https://www.velonews.com/2018/10/bikes-and-tech/the-science-of-being-seen_472689

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to be at the trails just before sunrise, driving their by car.

WOW !!

First two cyclists riding in the DARK, on dark bikes, wearing dark clothes, and NO lights ....  :eek:   :thumbdown:

Then a couple of bikes with lights ... mostly either front OR rear ....

One nearly T-boned a car that turned out of a side road.  This rider had a dim tail light, but nothing on the front of his bike .... 

Less than half the riders had front and rear lights  :eek:

PLEASE get to the trails safely ....

See this quit often. Only person that needs to have all the lights on is me, I cant be bothered if others don't care enough about themselves

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I now decided to use my lights even if it is not dark.  My Ay-Ups are permanently mounted on the front and I turn them on as daytime lights in flicker mode to make sure I am noticed from the front and also with a bright 3 LED red flicker on the back.

Last week a woman nearly drove into me from the front while looking directly at me :wacko: .  I have the lights and decided not to ever ride without them and to put my visibility / safety first!  

Luckily I dont have to ride when its properly dark but I still light myself up like a christmas tree. One question though... on these chilly and sometimes damp commutes can any of you reccomend a good visible rain shell/jacket for commuting. Ive seen some cyclists wear bright lumo ones and then others where black ones but have reflective seams. 

What should I be looking out for?

Luckily I dont have to ride when its properly dark but I still light myself up like a christmas tree. One question though... on these chilly and sometimes damp commutes can any of you reccomend a good visible rain shell/jacket for commuting. Ive seen some cyclists wear bright lumo ones and then others where black ones but have reflective seams. 

What should I be looking out for?

One of the most effective and cheapest options is buying 10cm of yellow reflective tape from Midas (the stuff they stick on the back of trucks) and cut out blocks for the back of your shoes and possibly the back of your saddle and seat post.

There is an old navy dude that rides between Muizenberg and Simons Town in the dark in the mornings. All he has is that industrial tape on the back of his shoes and you spot him a long way off. Especially because of the pedalling motion.

That with a back flicking light and a handle bar light would be good. But I am amazed how well 50c worth of tape works.

Edited by Baracuda

On my way to Midas. Genius idea.

One of the most effective and cheapest options is buying 10cm of yellow reflective tap from Midas (the stuff they stick on the back of trucks) and cut out blocks for the back of your shoes and possibly the back of your saddle and seat post.

There is an old navy dude that rides between Muizenberg and Simons Town in the dark in the mornings. All he has is that industrial tape on the back of his shoes and you spot him a long way off. Especially because of the pedalling motion.

That with a back flicking light and a handle bar light would be good. But I am amazed how well 50c worth of tape works.