[PLEASE APPLY] Visibility On The Road

'Dale

One of the most effective and cheapest options is buying 10cm of yellow reflective tap from Midas (the stuff they stick on the back of trucks) and cut out blocks for the back of your shoes and possibly the back of your saddle and seat post.

There is an old navy dude that rides between Muizenberg and Simons Town in the dark in the mornings. All he has is that industrial tape on the back of his shoes and you spot him a long way off. Especially because of the pedalling motion.

That with a back flicking light and a handle bar light would be good. But I am amazed how well 50c worth of tape works.

That is an excellent idea!! I think I have some spare tape lying around from a trailer refurb a while back.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the most effective and cheapest options is buying 10cm of yellow reflective tape from Midas (the stuff they stick on the back of trucks) and cut out blocks for the back of your shoes and possibly the back of your saddle and seat post.

There is an old navy dude that rides between Muizenberg and Simons Town in the dark in the mornings. All he has is that industrial tape on the back of his shoes and you spot him a long way off. Especially because of the pedalling motion.

That with a back flicking light and a handle bar light would be good. But I am amazed how well 50c worth of tape works.

I've done some taping on the back of my helmet.f2fbc4bf07deba04b28470a7d05864e5.jpg57189cd944204b01c87ecce216fb1a8d.jpg

I have also been doing the reflective tape thing for years now. I stick a strip lengthwise over the bottom of my crank arms, it doubles as protection against hitting rocks, and its visible from front and back. I have tape around the top of my seatpost as well as a super bright red flashing cob LED.

As a school cycling coach, i use high visibility jackets during practice (yes we look like car guards, but hey, safety first, cant take any chances with a bunch of kids) - motorists immediately see its an "organised" ride, they are friendly, wave and even give way at crossings- even if its a stop sign for us.

Safety is more important than looking cool- besides, whats the point of looking cool in your colour coded outfit, if no one can SEE you. ????

Apparently the best way to make yourself visible is the use of blue lights. Nothing gets a motorists attention faster than the cops!

Where do you get a proper blue light for your bicycle? 

But technically it is illegal to have any other colour but red and white

Apparently the best way to make yourself visible is the use of blue lights. Nothing gets a motorists attention faster than the cops!

You're right. Try to see a video of David Frail Kleynhans' last trip he did last week. He's got a red and a blue flashing lights at the back, and you're dead right, as soon as the red and blue flicker, people's attitude towards him changes immediately.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ledlenser-Professional-Colour-Torch-Black/dp/B00JJPJSIM

https://www.facebook.com/100000308621274/posts/2373324309354500/?app=fbl

Edited by BSG

David Frail Kleynhans uses an Led Lenser (looks like a torch with either green, blue or white) flashing modes. I have seen it over the weekend and I think it's great for visibility.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ledlenser-Professional-Colour-Torch-Black/dp/B00JJPJSIM

https://www.facebook.com/100000308621274/posts/2373324309354500/?app=fbl

Edited by BSG

My rear light battery died coming back through constania the other morning in the dark, the easiest thing to do it just find a MTBer with a flashing light and sit infront of him.

My rear light battery died coming back through constania the other morning in the dark, the easiest thing to do it just find a MTBer with a flashing light and sit infront of him.

My RYDER front light shows a green indicator for the first "bit" after a charge, then the indicator goes orange .... and stays like this for MANY rides.

ONCE started flashing the orange indicator, and died 15 minutes later !!!  :eek:

I now charge it REGULARLY  :whistling:  

so is drinking and driving...i would rather be charged for using a blue light than being re ended by a drunk at 5 am in the morning....its just a fine...drunks kill cyclists...i would rather be poor than dead.

• 2 weeks later...

My RYDER front light shows a green indicator for the first "bit" after a charge, then the indicator goes orange .... and stays like this for MANY rides.

ONCE started flashing the orange indicator, and died 15 minutes later !!! :eek:

I now charge it REGULARLY :whistling:

yeah now ride with 2 rear lights [emoji16]

From my experience ...we do group rides ... end off with a breakfast and or coffee...i would highly recommend this combination (not the supplier...just using the link to identify the lights) i have made a point of taking note of how many other bicycles in the group still have lights flashing when we finish (4-5 hrs) ...i am yet to see other lights still flashing.

what i like about this combo ...the front lights provides enough light to view the road until it gets light enough to switch over to flashing mode...the back light has 5 flashing LED's.

what i also enjoy about these lights...the there are no cables required for charging or separate battery backs etc...you just pop off the rubber piece at the back/bottom and plug the light into the charger...i use the rubber which i remove from the light to support it in the charge.

the only one thing that you need to take note of ...the strap must be secured properly when fitting to the bike ...ie make sure you stretch it and check it is secure in the slot...other wise you gona cry long tears when it falls off in the parking lot..and some else scores a huge luck finding it.

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/cycling-accessories/lezyne-hecto-400-strip-150-light-set/11509377.html?affil=thggpsad&switchcurrency=ZAR&shippingcountry=ZA&shoppingpid=top_10_1903&gclid=CjwKEAjwue3nBRCCyrqY0c7bw2wSJACSlmGZJzlaQQ2VNt-vRurNOv-QGX_unxwdJDn86mWVZNYFhxoCj__w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by eccc whippet

Get yourself a fake ID that says you are the premier of NorthWest / KZN / Limpopo / Mpumelanga / Free State Province and all will be well. 

• 1 month later...

Commuting rider down on Gie and Parklands Main just after 5. He seemed hurt but okay. People were assisting. He was riding into oncoming traffic and was not wearing any viz-gear. Looked like he collected a car head-on.