Cyclists flying overseas with bikes on Emirates

Kulula ( BA) charged my missus R500 for her bike box being 4kg overweight when flying to NAM

Saa ( airlink I think) charged R1300 flying back to SA from NAM.

Ri effing diculous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

must be the weight of that medal :clap: :clap:

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just relocated to Amsterdam Netherlands. Used Emirates to fly in. My wife and had a lot of baggage and one XL Bianchi packaged by John O Conner for an awesome price and then stuffed with more kit, shoes, helmet, blah blah blah. So here is what we were charged...

$0 Tah dah!!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

All it took was a smile and friendly chit chat. The guy that checked us in even showed us how to turn two bags into one by wrapping them together in plastic. 

Just relocated to Amsterdam Netherlands. Used Emirates to fly in. My wife and had a lot of baggage and one XL Bianchi packaged by John O Conner for an awesome price and then stuffed with more kit, shoes, helmet, blah blah blah. So here is what we were charged...

All it took was a smile and friendly chit chat. The guy that checked us in even showed us how to turn two bags into one by wrapping them together in plastic. 

Interesting.

Business Class or economy?

Did you each have your 2 x 23kg plus the bike?

Edited by johannrissik

I will be flying emirates in the next 2 months so good to hear. Will be taking my bike in a cardboard box. If I read the small print you can take a box no longer than 150 cms and so long is weights not more than 23 kilos you good.

Thanks for the post.

I will be flying emirates in the next 2 months so good to hear. Will be taking my bike in a cardboard box. If I read the small print you can take a box no longer than 150 cms and so long is weights not more than 23 kilos you good.

Thanks for the post.

Read this:  https://www.emirates.com/english/help/faq/490107/weight-and-piece-concept 

and this:

https://www.emirates.com/english/help/faq/214958/baggage-allowances-for-sports-equipment

I flew back from heathrow on virgin with 10co2 bombs in my luggage, and there were no issues. (i did clear it with security first) it seems with airports it often depends on who you ask.

I flew back from heathrow on virgin with 10co2 bombs inflators in my luggage, and there were no issues. (i did clear it with security first) it seems with airports it often depends on who you ask.

Easy on the "B" word, Dave ;)

$0 Tah dah!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Did you use a carboard box? 150cm(total dimension) is allowed free. is not alot for a bike especiay a mtb. When i called emirates office they said if its over thar dimension its extra luggage and would be carged something like 350$ (to and from) extra if it was over this size. Rindoculous!at the time zuma was safe so the dollar was like 15 rand

I need to fly to the UK this December. Looking to book a flight soon. What airline has the best bicycle baggage policy?

Easy on the "B" word, Dave ;)

In the last week there has been two arrests at Munich Aiport of passengers who thought they were funny and said they had a bomb in their luggage.  Their respective families continued flying while they were in jail after their luggage was checked.

I need to fly to the UK this December. Looking to book a flight soon. What airline has the best bicycle baggage policy?

I've only flown Qatar, Etihad & Emirates to Europe. Emirates does have that 150cm rule which it seems they aren't enforcing right now based on the comments in this forum. But I'm not prepared to take that chance.

Of the other 2 Qatar is IMO by far the best airline. And the airport is great. Not a glorified shopping mall. Both have a 30kg checked and 7kg carry on limits. That's more than enough even for guys taking DH bikes.

BUT!!! Do your own research. Don't trust your travel agent to know. She probably has an idea but how often does she do a booking for a bike? All the airlines have websites where they specifically state the luggage limits. Print that out if you feel nervous and take it to the airport with you on the day. 

All it took was a smile and friendly chit chat. The guy that checked us in even showed us how to turn two bags into one by wrapping them together in plastic

Also wrapped two bags together when we flew to Munich.  Guy who did the wrapping still wanted to tell me they won't allow it.  I just said to him I am paying you to wrap two bags together.  I will deal with the check in counter not him.  Worked like a charm as long as the combined bags are still within the normal dimensions.

These are my travelling with bike tips

• Don't bother buying a bike box/bag unless you travel regularly with a bike. A cardboard box works fine
  • Get a bike shop to pack it for you. They tend to do a better job than you can
  • Tell them to leave the top open
  • Check that they didn't forget your pedals on the counter and not pack them in
  • try to pack some soft goodies (clothing) around your precious in the box
  • Buy 2 rolls of packing tape. 1 for the trip there. 1 for on the way back
  • reinforce the corners of the box with the packing tape. Force yourself to use the entire roll.
  • Write your name and contact details on the box with a sharpie
  • Pack (not in your hand luggage) the necessary tools to rebuild your bike
  • no CO2 canisters
  • NB!! Get to the airport early It's a hassle for them to check a bike in
  • Smile nicely for the check in lady
  • You'll have to take the bike to oversized luggage once checked in. So like I said. Get there early.
  • On the other side unpack your bike carefully and take note of how they packed it so you can do the same on the way back.

I flew back from heathrow on virgin with 10co2 bombs in my luggage, and there were no issues. (i did clear it with security first) it seems with airports it often depends on who you ask.

Ja. Coz there's a co2 bomb under every seat. How do they think the life jacket inflates? Fairy dust?

It really does seem to depend. One year on our France trip they confiscated a bike chain and a derailleur in Abu Dhabi. I did tell my mate not to pack that type of thing in his hand luggage but he's stupid. 

All I took from that is your wife has a lot of baggage... Hope she is not on the hub.