Cyclists flying overseas with bikes on Emirates

I am flying Emirates Durban to Gatwick at the end of July and both their helpdesk and Facebook message support have told me that if the bike box dimensions exceed 150cm then it will cost me US$250 each way.

As stated elsewhere SAA no charge and BA allow bikes unto 190x75X65 which is realistic

I don't think any regular bike can be packed to Emirates dimensions.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am flying Emirates Durban to Gatwick at the end of July and both their helpdesk and Facebook message support have told me that if the bike box dimensions exceed 150cm then it will cost me US$250 each way.

As stated elsewhere SAA no charge and BA allow bikes unto 190x75X65 which is realistic

I don't think any regular bike can be packed to Emirates dimensions.

Guess we'll find out on Friday.

We are flying Durban - Barcelona on Emirates and my box is like 240cm...132x82x32..did make sure it weighs about 23kg though

I have travelled on Emirates on numerous occasions since making this original post and never had an issue again. I wrote this post in panic and frustration after being told by the Emirates help line that I will get charged (as it seems they have told other people on here too), but the staff at the counters never bat an eye-lid and just check my bike on.

Very confusing that they tell you one thing and do another. Thankfully no charges incurred yet...

I have travelled on Emirates on numerous occasions since making this original post and never had an issue again. I wrote this post in panic and frustration after being told by the Emirates help line that I will get charged (as it seems they have told other people on here too), but the staff at the counters never bat an eye-lid and just check my bike on.

Very confusing that they tell you one thing and do another. Thankfully no charges incurred yet...

Don't try this flying from Milan

They have the right to charge you and reading elsewhere they certainly do on occasion. I guess I was just unlucky.

Maybe it's a good idea to try and document which airports charge/don't charge.

Jhb-Dubai-Copenhagen route I've never been charged.

What's your experience?

Gatwick no charge.

She did say because it's in a bike bag and weighing 23kg it was fine.  She said boxes attract a charge.  Was strange since it would probably weigh less in a box, albeit being slightly bigger.  But a bike bag (EVOC) already exceeds the dimensions, so who knows.

Flown with my bikes in PROBIKE travel bag:

Oman Air : chargeable (even tho under allowable weight)

Kuwait Air: No charge if under weight

Qatar Air: No charge if under weight

Etihad: No charge if under weight

Emirates: No charge if under weight (even schemed to get two bike bags back from Geneva once, at no cost but they did haul me aside in Dubai and wanted to charge me DXB - JHB but "sorry for you, you booked it in all the way from GEN so no way Jose")

Turkish: Charged for Istanbul to Geneva leg out of Doha...go figure!?

Never been stopped on Overall Dimension clause...I believe this all depends on your approach and the airline attendant so smile, be nice, polite and unless they have been instructed to weigh and check EVERYTHING (believe me this happens from time to time, I'm sure they get instructions from time to time, I've had it when they have almost asked me to step on the scale....) it should not be an issue...DISCLAIMER: don't quote me!!! Check ahead of time!

I recently did Jhb to Bologna via Dubai. Emirates. Evoc bag loaded to 22.5kg. No problems either way (incredibly pathetic service at the oversize receiving back at OR Tambo though).

I recently did Jhb to Bologna via Dubai. Emirates. Evoc bag loaded to 22.5kg. No problems either way (incredibly pathetic service at the oversize receiving back at OR Tambo though).

I think the concern most (Certainly I) have is the application of the rule. If you happen to arrive and the check in lady has a bee up her @rse coz the guy in front of you was rude then you might just get screwed.

According to a mate of mine you can GO TO the Emirates offices and apply for an exception where they will change your baggage to 30kg and 300cm. This is apparently for tickets ISSUED in SA. I cannot verify this as I am flying Qatar.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

The lady at JhB check-in just asked me whether it was a bike. I said yes. She immediately tagged it and called a guy to take it away. Appeared to be routine. Bologna I had to have it tagged but then take it to a different place myself. Took some time. 

My third year doing the Giro trip. Routine still the same. Maybe I am lucky.

Gatwick no charge.

She did say because it's in a bike bag and weighing 23kg it was fine.  She said boxes attract a charge.  Was strange since it would probably weigh less in a box, albeit being slightly bigger.  But a bike bag (EVOC) already exceeds the dimensions, so who knows.

Everything in airfreight is by weight or measure (w/m) whichever gets them more revenue. So big, light boxes they will bill at a rate for the cubic capacity. Small heavy freight they bill in weight i.e. rate per kilo. Big volume things take up lots of space and are not stored easily in holds requiring extra handling.

Thats why suitcase dimension cycling bags under the weight limit go through easily as a case with normal handling but large bags cause havoc.

I havent flown internationally with a bike recently but have done so multiple times from USA and Europe and have never had a problem. Its always been as the extra 23kg bag, or i have paid for another bag. Mostly BA and Virgin. You need to check the airline policy and if you get the bike bag to look like a case and have the additional capacity on your ticket it normally goes through. I do have a bag that folds down nice and slim and is easily handled - i got it in France years ago. Box dimensions ar a no no from what i can establish. the USA was super cool with it though every time.

Sitting on the plane to Barcelona now and bikes are in the hold.

No charge for any of us, my box weighed 22.4kg and the heaviest was 23.6kg. My box dimensions are 132x82x32cm.

Just make sure you are early and damn close to 23kg. The one bag was 25kg and they weren't happy about that so we transferred stuff from it into the other bags and problem solved.

• 2 months later...

100% completely unrelated to this thread 

But if anyone knows someone that works on airlines , probably not pilots but staff on the plane 

can you please PM me 

Do i take a chance and take my bike to Dallas in a Evoc bag and will i get charged? will be under 22kg and bag is 138x39x85cm.