Cyclists flying overseas with bikes on Emirates

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Eldron.  Perhaps if the second 23kg baggage allowance is used for the bike it makes a difference?  In other words you only have one bag of 23kg and the bike (under 23kg), given that you are allowed 2 x 23kg bags.  It will be better to have certainty as its a whack of money to pay out...

That's exactly what I do - I make sure that bag and bike box are both under the 23kg rule.

I don't know for sure if it helps but that tactic has worked for me.

Here's the deal, first hand from Emirates contact center yesterday: Included with your ticket, you get 2x 23kg bags to travel.  You can use one of these as a bike bag provided it weighs less than 23kg and the size (l+b+h) is not more than 300cm.  If you have more than 2 bags, a bag that weighs more than 23kg, or if a bag is more than 300cm in size then you're in for $250 per trip.

Here's the deal, first hand from Emirates contact center yesterday: Included with your ticket, you get 2x 23kg bags to travel.  You can use one of these as a bike bag provided it weighs less than 23kg and the size (l+b+h) is not more than 300cm.  If you have more than 2 bags, a bag that weighs more than 23kg, or if a bag is more than 300cm in size then you're in for $250 per trip.

Get that in writing if you can.

Edit. As Eldron said that's not what their website says.

My understanding is

1. Under 23kg and under 150cm No problem

2. Between 150cm and 300cm They screw you

3. Over 300cm it has to go cargo

#Disclaimer. I'm yet to hear of anyone being charged.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Be a little wary - here is the info from the website:

https://www.emirates.com/pt/english/help/faq/490107/Weight-and-Piece-concept

Max free size is 150cm - you'll be charged for anything over that (theoretically). 300cm is the max - anything over that they won't take.

Baggage allowance changes with route and fare.

Edited by Eldron

Just flew KLM aN when I printed the boarding passes at home it clearly states that h + l+ w may not exceed 158 cm. A bike bag exceeds this easily. You also have to pre arrange an get permission to take the bike bag, it’s not a foregone conclusion. I recommend you mentioning the bike case when you book yr ticket. No nasty surprises like I had. Cost from uk to jhb 100 euro per direction thus 200 in total.

Be a little wary - here is the info from the website:

https://www.emirates.com/pt/english/help/faq/490107/Weight-and-Piece-concept

Max free size is 150cm - you'll be charged for anything over that (theoretically). 300cm is the max - anything over that they won't take.

Baggage allowance changes with route and fare.

What size is the bike bag that you usually get away with?  I'm flying with an EVOC bag in May, hoping to pass through unscathed!!

Edited by thisismyotherbike

What size is the bike bag that you usually get away with? I'm flying with an EVOC bag in May, hoping to pass through unscathed!!

Ive done quite a variety from bags to cardboard boxes. Usually around 230-260cm using their measuring method.

So far so good!

• 1 month later...

A thumbs up!

Flew Emirates to the UK, via Dubai for a week. I'm still in the UK.

Brought 2 bike boxes, one a total of 190 cm (length x width x breadth) and one a total of 175 cm. Both weighed just on 20kg (thanks to Kulula). 

No hassles at all, even on Kulula!!!

Although I've flown Emirates quite a few times with bikes, I was pretty nervous this time around, thanks to this thread and their web site.

A thumbs up!

Flew Emirates to the UK, via Dubai for a week. I'm still in the UK.

Brought 2 bike boxes, one a total of 190 cm (length x width x breadth) and one a total of 175 cm. Both weighed just on 20kg (thanks to Kulula).

No hassles at all, even on Kulula!!!

Although I've flown Emirates quite a few times with bikes, I was pretty nervous this time around, thanks to this thread and their web site.

I have just returned from Milan via Dubai on Emirates.

Flying the bike there no issues whatsoever, returning in Milan I was forced to pay the $250 overweight charge for both our bikes.

Turns out just because you got through OR Tambo doesn't mean they won't enforce the rules elsewhere. I kept being told that I was "lucky" for not being charged the fee in Johannesburg, but I would have left the bikes with my brother (our lift) and made a plan to rent had the staff at check-in at ORT informed me I would face these penalties. Now they let us fly to Italy no problem, only to charge us $500 to bring our bikes back.

It was a less than pleasant end to an awesome honeymoon.

I have just returned from Milan via Dubai on Emirates.

Flying the bike there no issues whatsoever, returning in Milan I was forced to pay the $250 overweight charge for both our bikes.

Turns out just because you got through OR Tambo doesn't mean they won't enforce the rules elsewhere. I kept being told that I was "lucky" for not being charged the fee in Johannesburg, but I would have left the bikes with my brother (our lift) and made a plan to rent had the staff at check-in at ORT informed me I would face these penalties. Now they let us fly to Italy no problem, only to charge us $500 to bring our bikes back.

It was a less than pleasant end to an awesome honeymoon.

Shut the front door!!!...you had your bike with you on your honeymoon..!!!???..that's a win in my book.....forget the $500....

Shut the front door!!!...you had your bike with you on your honeymoon..!!!???..that's a win in my book.....forget the $500....

I see your point  ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

I see your point  ^_^

Just been Ba with my bike in a sportsmanship warehouse bag (so both wheels removed and gear chain and handlebars and had no problems except on the way back reducing the weight to 23 kg (had stuffed a whole load of dirty washing with the bike) and retook it as hand luggage.

I did stupidly have a problem in joburg as i had passed through Cape Town hand baggage scanners no problem and had kept my giant multi spanner with me to reassemble the bike at Heathrow. Anyway at joburg it was stopped at the hand luggage and I was made to check it in and quoted £65 just for the spanner and couldn't add it to my bike bag as that was already in transit. After asking a number of people and being refused to add it to their luggage as I was about to give in found a nice guy who worked at price Waterhouse and happily took it in his luggage and I retrieved it at Heathrow

Great ride along grand Union canal and across Barnes down the Thames into London and back 3 days later. Mini work adventure and ride all mainly off road but preferable on a mtb

Ag well, somewhere between Frankfurt and Heathrow BA managed to lose my bike on Thursday and despite "finding" It 5 times, they still don't know where it is.

I was due to do a gran Fondo this morning and fly home tonight.

Stuck in London

Ag well, somewhere between Frankfurt and Heathrow BA managed to lose my bike on Thursday and despite "finding" It 5 times, they still don't know where it is.

I was due to do a gran Fondo this morning and fly home tonight.

Stuck in London

At least the weather is good.

And one is never “stuck in London”

And one is never “stuck in London”

That is what I always believed but if you have to hang around the airport, things aren't so lekker.

It seems that they have found it, maybe I can ride later this morning. How do I get to somewhere nice to ride from a hotel at the airport ?