Base Layer

So Is Es

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the Highveld I can get away with a long sleeved T shirt, cycling top and a sleeveless rain top.  Add arm warmers if very cold.  Always leg warmers, thermal socks, neoprene toe caps, ski gloves, ear covers and a buff around the neck which I can pull up over my chin if needed.

For me keeping the feet, hands and ears warm is the most important.  For the rest I would rather not over heat.

Thanks for all the advice.

Will try different options during next couple of days see what works best.

Luckily its only 2 cycle events for the Big 5 Lite rest is running.

Thanks eddy , where would one get a merino based base layer ? Any names you can drop ?

I got mine at Drifters in Jo'burg.

No base layer for me thanks.

Got myself a sleeveless windjammer.

Can zip it open on climbs although it's hardly ever necessary since the back is netted/vented but keeps your chest warm when traveling at speed. Also folds up very small to fit into your shirt pockets. Other than that it's arm warmers and normal summer kit.

Thanks V12 , yeah doesnt get tooo cold here  , never dips below 4/5 degrees in the mornings , normally between 5 and 10 degrees . I just tend to use a First accent base and a spring jacket , but find nowadays (read -old/er age) that I still get a bit cold .  Perhaps I just need a nice winter riding "jacket" and recommendations ?

Anatomic make a nice bib thing that is easy to remove and store - works like a charm to keep wind off your chest.

http://www.weardirect.co.za/kind-product/winter-wear# - the anti freeze chest warmer

My favorite piece of gear is a warm gilet - but for the life of me I can't remember where I got it - will look and revert.

No base layer for me thanks.

Got myself a sleeveless windjammer.

Can zip it open on climbs although it's hardly ever necessary since the back is netted/vented but keeps your chest warm when traveling at speed. Also folds up very small to fit into your shirt pockets. Other than that it's arm warmers and normal summer kit.

Dis koud in Jo'burg 4h25 in die oggend.

Gister se minimum op die fiets was -1 en gemiddeld was 4. :eek:

Bring jou kort broek en plakkies en kom ry saam :D  :D  :D  

I recently bought this first ascent base layer for R399...sublime piece of kit. It works brilliantly, keeps you warm when cold and cool when warm.

Its a tight fit, like compression, and hugs your arm pits and for me i hate tight fitting clothing but after a few minutes riding it just works and you don't even notice it wrapping around you like a chappies wrapper

post-57045-0-46944700-1466612288_thumb.jpg