Scott announce all-new Spark and Scale bikes

News bot

The two models you mentioned have the horizontal shock set up which has been dropped by many manufacturers. While the vertical shock uses the space a 2nd water bottle cage would occupy, it does end up with longer service intervals which is very appealing for riders doing longer mileage. For those of us not using dropper posts, we use a seatpost mounted bottle cage for longer rides.

Serious question... Why does the service interval change?

Does shock wear and tear change depending on shock orientation? Why?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the genius models going same way with the suspension?

I see the spark has more travel, so would there be a genius model?

Is the genius models going same way with the suspension?

I see the spark has more travel, so would there be a genius model?

Yes. Genius is 150mm travel si in another segment

As for the suspension design... Most probably

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Personally I am looking forward to this change in suspension design. The current Scott Spark suspension design is known for suffering from pedal bob, hence their lockout system that "turns it into a hardtail".This new suspension design should supposedly rule out the pedal bob.

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

I ride the 2016 910 and have absolutely no problem with pedal bob.. I have however spent time setting up the suspension so your setup might be a problem if you have pedal bob.

I have heard of a lot of riders that complain about pedal bob but if you ask them if the suspension was set up for them the answer is mostly No. You can not take a full suspension bike off the showroom floor and think it's going to be perfect for you, it needs to be set up to your riding style. 

Awesome looking bikes!

Any information on the wheels (rim width)?

The Syncros website hasn't been updated yet.

I ride the 2016 910 and have absolutely no problem with pedal bob.. I have however spent time setting up the suspension so your setup might be a problem if you have pedal bob.

I have heard of a lot of riders that complain about pedal bob but if you ask them if the suspension was set up for them the answer is mostly No. You can not take a full suspension bike off the showroom floor and think it's going to be perfect for you, it needs to be set up to your riding style.

No.

Shock setup has virtually fokol to do with pedal bob. That is down to the design of the bike's linkages. Yes, too little or too much pressure in the shock can affect the support you get, but it is not the determining factor of a bike's pedal bob or lack thereof.

No.

Shock setup has virtually fokol to do with pedal bob. That is down to the design of the bike's linkages. Yes, too little or too much pressure in the shock can affect the support you get, but it is not the determining factor of a bike's pedal bob or lack thereof.

Primarily the pivot placements. If above chainring, then not as much as the rotation of the crank pulls the rear wheel downwards, thereby acting against the suspension action. 

Also why it's more efficient to have smaller chainrings. 

the suspension design though has a lot to do with it as well. Single pivots need to be more careful with their pivot placement when compared to other designs that may have counter-rotating linkages or built in "anti-squat" in the suspension design. 

So xc bikes are adopting more and more trail bike geometry, a la new Cannondales. At 68.5deg HA it seems the only differentiation between trail and xc is the amount of suspension travel and probably the stem length.

I rode my Spez epic with a 60mm stem - just felt more comfortable that way. On these new geos I'd probably have to ride it with 40mm then.

I've always thought Scott to be an ou ballie brand...now I'm starting to like it. Is it a sign I'm getting old?

So xc bikes are adopting more and more trail bike geometry, a la new Cannondales. At 68.5deg HA it seems the only differentiation between trail and xc is the amount of suspension travel and probably the stem length.

I

My 2011 BMC FS01 had a 68HA, so slacker geo has been around for a while.

Those with the Giant quibs. Which model exactly cause I fail to see the resemblance other than the obvious that both are bicycles and therefor come with parts that are associaited with bicycles. 

Here is the new Scott

ccs-62657-0-36790200-1466681423.jpg

Here is a Giant Anthem

Anthem-Advanced-275-1-Yellow-Black.jpg

Is the default that everything with a shock mounted to the toptube is a Spez copy and the rest a Giant rip off?

Differences I can tell by a quick glance:

- Kink in top tube

- Position of bottom shock mount

- Rear strut vs none

- Higher pivot placement

- Smaller rocker

- 3 bolts where waterbottle go for possible "SWAT" type vibe (rip off!!!)

- Meatier rear chainstay on Scott

- Cable routing

- Dedicated 1x

- Different rear brake mount

And then you can go into the detail like completely different geo's, completely different suspension designs, Scott's use of new metric shocks, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Other than that...

Try the trance...

Actually its looks are more like that very heavy entry level Giant thing - whatsitcalled again? No Maestro on that "beauty" .

I preferred the old look but it seems Scott have tried hard to design a good bike. I love the slacker/longer geo - progress in making marathon and XC bikes proper MTB's is all good IMO. 

Actually its looks are more like that very heavy entry level Giant thing - whatsitcalled again? No Maestro on that "beauty" .

I preferred the old look but it seems Scott have tried hard to design a good bike. I love the slacker/longer geo - progress in making marathon and XC bikes proper MTB's is all good IMO. 

Stance.