E-Bikes on Tygerberg MTB trail

energizer2k

How do you know he was on an ebike? 

Ebikes from the major manufacturers are limited to 25km/h with assist, he could have just been a fit oke flying by. 

More people using the trails and paying subs is only a positive thing as clubs get more cash dollar to build more trails etc.

If you think its a motorbike you have not ridden one.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ebikes from the major manufacturers are limited to 25km/h with assist, he could have just been a fit oke flying by. 

More people using the trails and paying subs is only a positive thing as clubs get more cash dollar to build more trails etc.

It is a motorcycle by definition... 

I agree with the point on more subs etc, its just a fine line!

it's pretty obvious if you know where to look.

It was that specialized e-bike, im pretty sure. The only specialized i know with such a large down tube is their e-bike. Plus its my local trail and i have ridden up their may times and witnesses pros climbing speed, this was the same speed a motor bike would ride up there.

Sigh, I hope my few KOM's last even a little bit longer. But if Throttle jam is going to become as prevalent as chain suck, things could get quite funny on the trails though.

Sigh, I hope my few KOM's last even a little bit longer. But if Throttle jam is going to become as prevalent as chain suck, things could get quite funny on the trails though.

Except there is no throttle to jam as its an ebike.

I am interested to see if this is accepted by the Tygerberg club as a whole, since its relatively new but does change the dynamics of what is considered 'OK' on all the trails as a general rule, i.e trail running is not allowed on the majority of the trails.

I like this quote, "...reaffirm IMBA’s 2010 policy position that mountain biking is a human-powered form of recreation". Taken from: http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/12/08/e-bikes-to-trail-or-not-to-trail-an-open-letter-to-imba-from-nembas-executive-director-philip-keyes/

It was that specialized e-bike, im pretty sure. The only specialized i know with such a large down tube is their e-bike. Plus its my local trail and i have ridden up their may times and witnesses pros climbing speed, this was the same speed a motor bike would ride up there.

I hope a motor bike could go faster than 25km/h. 

What makes an e-bike passing you more dangerous than a pro rider passing you?

I am all for safety, but banning e-bikes "just because" is not a real reason.

there is a difference between having to actually pedal and get assistance say now for someone who is at least trying to get into the sport as apposed to someone charging the thing up and just ripping through the trail at up to 50km/h holding an accelerator down. 

NONE of the e-bikes on the market at the moment are like that. ALL of them are pedal assist. You MUST pedal to activate the motor. 

Some of the home made jobs have an accelerator type control, but the Spez, Giant, etc are all pedal assist and the motors normally top out at 25kph. 

I am interested to see if this is accepted by the Tygerberg club as a whole, since its relatively new but does change the dynamics of what is considered 'OK' on all the trails as a general rule, i.e trail running is not allowed on the majority of the trails.

I like this quote, "...reaffirm IMBA’s 2010 policy position that mountain biking is a human-powered form of recreation". Taken from: http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/12/08/e-bikes-to-trail-or-not-to-trail-an-open-letter-to-imba-from-nembas-executive-director-philip-keyes/

Except that all the e-bikes on offer at the moment from the big brands are still human powered. They just offer additional assistance by applying power to the crank via an electric motor. 

NONE of the e-bikes on the market at the moment are like that. ALL of them are pedal assist. You MUST pedal to activate the motor. 

Some of the home made jobs have an accelerator type control, but the Spez, Giant, etc are all pedal assist and the motors normally top out at 32kph

FTFY :-)

It is a motorcycle by definition... 

I agree with the point on more subs etc, its just a fine line!

It is not a motorcycle by definition.

It is considered NMT (non-motorised transport).

I speak under correction, but unless it exceeds a certain amount of power it is not considered motorised.