[Event] Carnival City Macsteel National Classic

Frosty

Hi Gerald,it was a well organised event

One minor thing I can mention since you are asking so nicely was the marshals instructing the VA group to turn off left from the route at some stage of the race,luckily a lot of the VA riders insisted on going straight ,and then waited for the brake away to catch up again who turned off route

I think the marshals had the 100km & 125km race routes mixed up?

Other then this ,a very good race

interesting, will ask around and find out from each sector. I'm assuming this was on the extra loop?

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Medals can also be different. We are now having 3x exactly the same medals between myself for the 103km Road race and my 2kids who did a 6km MTB race. Late entry for kids jumped from R40.00 to R90.00 was also steep.

my kids think it's brilliant they have the same medal as me. I didn't take a medal on Saturday but wife & kids did.

I don't really look at the medal anyway ,cool,to get one but not the bee all and end all.

As long as the kids get !

interesting, will ask around and find out from each sector. I'm assuming this was on the extra loop?

Yes at the intersection where we turned left to do the mini loop. Second time round the break took the wrong turn and then there was confusion in the main bunch whether to follow or go straight. ALthough i honestly dont know why the break went the wrong way, there must have been enough of them that have done the race before and knew to go straight.

as for car traffic, there is always a couple of left turns where the bikes take the slip way and cars are made to go right round the lights, easy to place mats on that corner.

The biggest problem with having a mat at a turn is that it's already chaos when the bigger non licenced bunches go through the turn because a lot of people are not used to bunch racing and are unsure of how to take the turns and then you also get the riders racing up to the turn to avoid having to sprint out the finish to catch up to the group........so if they have to contend with a mat in a corner which could influence your grip in the turn can cause a serious crash.

The biggest problem with having a mat at a turn is that it's already chaos when the bigger non licenced bunches go through the turn because a lot of people are not used to bunch racing and are unsure of how to take the turns and then you also get the riders racing up to the turn to avoid having to sprint out the finish to catch up to the group........so if they have to contend with a mat in a corner which could influence your grip in the turn can cause a serious crash.

Crashes attract spectators. So it's a win win.

looking at the problem...

matts can be right after the turn, as the road straighten outs... as everyone starts accelerating, (where as if it was before the turn it was on a braking zone).

Best place for a second set of mats would be on the top loop of the 8 of the longer loop, thats car wise a much quieter section, should not be to difficult to place matts there.

Again... this is only a proposal, it would sort this out, and also give extra info to the people at the start of whats happening out on the road.

G

I was in the chasing pack when we went through this point. It was the second time we passed that point and this time had to go straight. Our group also had some guys that wanted to turn left again. It was painted on the road that 125 must turn left and I think the guys that wanted to turn left for the second time, Had we not told them to go straight would still be out there turning left almost a week later ;) . I don't think it was a marshaling error. The guys should take the responsibility to also know the route. They knew before that we did that extra loop and on the second time went straight. Similar thing happened at seregeti a few years back where the break away followed the short route after a loop that the long route was meant to do. Had they just listened and checked the route out before hand it wouldn't have happened.

Seeding has been updated on PPA but the winner times is showing there as 2:21 for the 103km.

I see Racetec results are now corrected so will this filter through to PPA/Cycleevents ?

post-67394-0-06569000-1478843534_thumb.jpg

Seeding has been updated on PPA but the winner times is showing there as 2:21 for the 103km.

I see Racetec results are now corrected so will this filter through to PPA/Cycleevents ?

macsteel seeding.jpg

Yeah, this has had an "interesting" side-effect on seeding indices... ????

Yeah, this has had an "interesting" side-effect on seeding indices...

yeah, if the winners time is corrected to 2:36 then my index should improve by 12 so hoping they get it sorted.

Hi Gerald,it was a well organised event

One minor thing I can mention since you are asking so nicely was the marshals instructing the VA group to turn off left from the route at some stage of the race,luckily a lot of the VA riders insisted on going straight ,and then waited for the brake away to catch up again who turned off route

I think the marshals had the 100km & 125km race routes mixed up?

Other then this ,a very good race

VA's turned wrong twice.

This one mentioned above where the break had to come back.....

I was in the long break of the day and due to a POEliesman pointing us in the wrong direction we took a wrong turn as well......gap came down from 1:45 to 1:10

Was a bit of a bummer but that is racing. 

Stuff happens.

But maybe make the people manning the intersections a bit more aware that SOME people (myself) come down a road totally knackered and HR at 190 and then trying to figure out which way to go is just a bit of a mission and their clear indication would mean a lot to us.

Small gripe but maybe worth mentioning.

attachicon.gifmacsteel seeding.jpg

I will follow through until we are happy - at least with RaceTec there is a process to query the results.

That was/is a problem with our previous timing provider.