[Event] 2017 Cape Town Cycle Tour - Argus

Bianchisti

Rather bring your own bike and explore the city by bike. The money you save will pay for a few extra days accommodation. Cape Town is a truly beautiful city. And is fairly cycling friendly. Admittedly not like Europe.

Thanks for the advice but bringing my own bike is also quite expensive. And after staying in CPT, we fly to JNB and have another 2.5 weeks for a roadtrip. It would be a lot of hassle of taking my roadbike along. I won't have much other opportunities to ride it after the CTCT. So it's a lot easier if I can drop the bike after the race. 

When we're staying in Drakensbergen, we will rent MTB for a day or so. 

We were in CPT last year, and I did a short ride. As a European and a regular cyclist, I still found it daunting to ride in Cape Town. Also, hubby doesn't cycle as much and I didn't want to venture to far out of town on my own as a woman after reading of the robberies here. 

we're staying in Tamboerskloof (close to the start) in an airbnb rental, where we stayed last year as well. Lovely host and great location. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.irideafrica.com/road-bike-rentals-2/

Just in case you haven't tried them, iRide Africa is a business that belongs to a fellow Hubber, Daniel Dobinson. They are usually very friendly and helpful. Their normal rates are a lot cheaper than what you describe, but I don't know what it will be for the Cape Town Cycle Tour weekend.

They are the ones who are fully booked already. Now I know why ;-)

But it's cool, I got a reply from the other company.  :thumbup: 

Last time I rented a MTB because I just started riding a road bike. Looking forward to riding a road bike this time! 

What is everyone doing the week before the tour this year?

We did the TOGH which was awesome but at R5k thinking a tour with mates around some of the awesome WP passes could be a better way to spend the leave and money.

Thoughts?

I'm e-mailing companies to rent a road bike for the CTCT. 1st one is fully booked, 2nd charges 3500ZAR, 3th charges 4500ZAR, I kid you not! That's completely ridiculous.

I e-mailed another one who charges 2500ZAR, which I find reasonable. Waiting for his reply.(2500ZAR is about the same amount what we pay for our accommodation in CPT, weird!)

Have you tried Cycle Teknix.

I think they have a tour package (rental for a week or something like that) for R3750.  At least you get to do a bit of riding before and after.  Also includes helmet and spares...

They may also have just a weekend package which may be cheaper...

http://www.bicyclehire.co.za/  http://www.cycleteknix.co.za/bike_rentals.php

What is everyone doing the week before the tour this year?

We did the TOGH which was awesome but at R5k thinking a tour with mates around some of the awesome WP passes could be a better way to spend the leave and money.

I definitely would be up for a ride or two. Besides the 5k for TOGH I think it would tire me for the weekend. Depending on the pace I would be keen.

Thoughts?

Never knew some folks spend so much to do this ride. I wonder if I would?

For me it's pretty much the entry fee, 40km drive from my home in Stellenbosch and R40 parking at the CTICC. Food and drinks are free at the company hospitality tent.  :thumbup:

For me it's pretty much the entry fee, 40km drive from my home in Stellenbosch and R40 parking at the CTICC. Food and drinks are free at the company hospitality tent. :thumbup:

I've posted this before, but if we skip the Argus for 2 years, it would buy us 10 days in Mauritius - all included

I've posted this before, but if we skip the Argus for 2 years, it would buy us 10 days in Mauritius - all included

Yoh, money well spent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me it's pretty much the entry fee, 40km drive from my home in Stellenbosch and R40 parking at the CTICC. Food and drinks are free at the company hospitality tent.  :thumbup:

The last couple of times it cost me on average about R10K per trip down to Cape Town to take part. This year I did not go down because of salary freezes and will unfortunately not go down next year again. Maybe things will pick up and take part 2018 again. 

Compared to the rest of our 3 week journey to/in SA, the CTCT is an expensive day. It's even expensive by European standards.

But what an experience! The memories are forever and priceless....if you can afford them :-)

PS. The rand is remarkably lower then last year. Last time it was around 7,5€ for 100 ZAR, now it's only 6.6. Big difference on our total spending. Bad news for you though (:-(

Compared to the rest of our 3 week journey to/in SA, the CTCT is an expensive day. It's even expensive by European standards.

But what an experience! The memories are forever and priceless....if you can afford them :-)

PS. The rand is remarkably lower then last year. Last time it was around 7,5€ for 100 ZAR, now it's only 6.6. Big difference on our total spending. Bad news for you though (:-(

True but we get to ride here 4 times a week... 11a6644f2aa6a949444715bc9838048c.jpg

True but we get to ride here 4 times a week...

Ha ha, yes, and Chapmans Peak is our everyday ride!

Ha ha, yes, and Chapmans Peak is our everyday ride!

That past week has made Chappies not as pleasant as it usually is. But yes, a ride is not a ride without Chappies. I suppose wind does add variation to the slope.

All things being equal, the wind dies down Tuesday morning for half a day. Rearranging my schedule already to see what a wind free bike ride is like.