[Event] 2017 Cape Town Cycle Tour - Argus

Bianchisti

We definitely know the shortening of the route was due to the protest action, they apparently lit some fires on the routey. Then when the route was changed to avoid that section, the protesters simply moved to the shortened route.

This is all heresay, but seems to be a logical explanation. The wind is practically non-existent in town currently, so can't be the only reason.

Luckily the official statement means the protesters don't get the publicity they were hoping for.

Like most others this outing cost us a bunch of money to get the family down here, all for nothing. I seriously doubt that I will do the effort again. Will rather support the local events in and around GP.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We definitely know the shortening of the route was due to the protest action, they apparently lit some fires on the routey. Then when the route was changed to avoid that section, the protesters simply moved to the shortened route.

This is all heresay, but seems to be a logical explanation. The wind is practically non-existent in town currently, so can't be the only reason.

Luckily the official statement means the protesters don't get the publicity they were hoping for.

Like most others this outing cost us a bunch of money to get the family down here, all for nothing. I seriously doubt that I will do the effort again. Will rather support the local events in and around GP.

what is the protesting about?

Rode it in 2009 and if the conditions were the similar i would be peeved if they called it off but that was as bad as I was prepared to ride in. If it was worse then right call was made. 

Don't think we actually can know (except if someone has access to the data at chappies), how bad it would have been on the full route and all in all they have to consider not only the first groups but all the participants.

Is the fire in Houtsbay under control? I can imagine the fire and that wind together..... you don't want that on your route.

sad to say, it is NOT under control. Wind is driving the fire very quickly, and accumulated vegetation is 30-50yrs old in places, meaning very hot flames in this wind.

Wonder of the marketing guys are already planning for next year.. is it then going to be Argus 40 part 2

'What am I gonna do now.... I've been carbo-loading since Thursday'

Another chirp in the parking lot

This is hillarious!

I seriously doubt that I will do the effort again. Will rather support the local events in and around GP.

Some of the locals already said this morning it might be a good idea to travel to gauteng and rather do the 947 in future.

Thats because they to light .... :whistling:

Us that have a few more kg around the middle ... wont blow over .... lol

And they pitched up with deep dish carbon rims and expected not to be blown about. I was fine on my bike.

Protests, fire and WIND!

This wind is seriously hectic where I am in Pinelands and has been winding up since last night. My experience is it will only get worse. I've spoken to people who were at the start at 6.30-7 who don't scare easily but had a good fright cycling from where they parked.. Plus a few vids of people being blown around. So. I can't see how anyone might think it's going to get better. Or that the wind had nothing to do with cancelling the event. Would you like to take responsibility for that decision?

Some of the locals already said this morning it might be a good idea to travel to gauteng and rather do the 947 in future.

Cool.

More chance for me to get an entry then.

The wind will always be a factor, unless they move the race to May. If the organisers are going to cancel a race because of wind, then people will be hesitant in entering the race again from abroad.

I honestly also think the protesters targeted the race. The city need to seriously look at this as this might be a future pattern that will get repeated by aggrieved people to get attention.

Edited by Moridin